COULD AIRDRYING HARM THE HAIR?

camellia said:
Hmmmm....
This is interesting. I had the most breakage and damage when I used heat to dry my hair. Now that I've been strictly air drying, in two braids or a loose bun, my breakage is literally gone . I have not had any breakage at all in the longest time, just normal shedding.

What kind of leave ins are you using when you air dry your hair? Coating my ends with avocado, or hemp seed butter before letting them dry has made a world of difference for me.

Same with me, the only thing that helped my ends lay down smooth is airdrying with a roller on the end. It keep the ends smooth.

Blowdrying=Breakage for me. My hair is finally at the point where I get NO breakage and I contribute it to airdrying, but that's just my hair I think.

DSylla said:
wow, airdrying is my baby's daddy! :lol:

no seriously though... i airdry ALL the time. the key for me is do not comb it until i wash it again.

airdrying has helped thicken my hair and it's enabled me to retain length. I wash then airdry with a satin scarf. sometimes, i'll do the ponytail method. anyhoo, after it dries i roll with the purple flexis.

For me too, you coudn't have said it better.

When I airdry my hair it gets hard and it sheds all over the place. I have decided to just continue blowdrying and rollersetting. I also tried to dry it by sitting under a hooded dryer and that was also a big :nono:

I usually do a partial airdry which means I sit under the dryer for an hour or more and then let it airdry. I get better results using that method.

If I don't keep my hair soaked/saturated with oil (like Camellia said) my hair is overly dry/crispy/frizzy and sheds more than usual. I think the key to air drying is to use a leave-in and lots of oil or butter.

den1 said:
lol i agree though the blowdrier thingy...is not good to use too often. i was thinking more along the lines of using indirect heat, to decrease risk of damage. how often do you flat-iron after airdrying?

Everytime! :eek:

So you know I cannot use the blowdryer!

I've found that I can airdry just fine until a few weeks after my touchup, when I start having noticeable new growth. At that point, I have to do rollersets or dry under the hood dryer, otherwise my hair gets really tangled all the way through the ends and the new growth feels matted together.

ETA: my hair battles with dryness, too, and this is worse when I airdry (especially the new growth)

Last edited:
den1 said:
OMG i wish someone had told me some of the negative effects of airdrying....everything you've said has been happening to me, no wonder why my ends act like that. I have been airdrying for years and experienced all these things. you'll have to teach to to rollerset now.what products are you ladies using for your rollersets, and what combs? thanks

I have the same problems when airdrying. I don't blowdry my hair though but I think I might go back to sitting under my dryer bonnet. Thanks for starting this thread.

navsegda said:
I was actually thinking about doing one thing, though. Since the Solia can be used on damp hair, I thought about skipping the blow drying altogether (or perhaps just using the cold shot button) and just using my Solia as the only heat on the hair. I'll let you know how it works.

i did this the last time i flat ironed my hair with my sedu. I sat under the drier for about 15 mins then jus flat ironed it damp. it came out pretty silky and nice, i got scared after cuz folks were saying not to straighten on wet hair, i had some breakage after but it wasnt horrible.

ill probably do it again but next time i will make sure my hair is only slightly damp when i flat iron it and ill use silicones to seal it.

I haven't used heat since August and I am starting to wonder if it was a mistake. I am natural and I notice that I get more knots on the ends of my hair now than when I was straightening it out 1x per month with the dryer or the flat iron. I think I'm going to start using a hooded dryer or something because these not are not cute at the ends of my twist.

With airdrying I have experienced more knots, less moisturized hair, more shedding and breakage. I have decided to alternate between blowdrying and airdrying until I get my hooded dryer. I though I was doing something wrong :look:

Airdrying = hardhair for me no matter what I do. My hair loves indirect heat and rollersets really make my hair feel smooth and soft. Sometimes I just don't feel like doing the work.

growingbrown said:
With airdrying I have experienced more knots, less moisturized hair, more shedding and breakage. I have decided to alternate between blowdrying and airdrying until I get my hooded dryer. I though I was doing something wrong :look:
Nope you weren't wrong at all!! until i posted this thread i really thought i was all alone with this issue. I'm going to a trial period and see how indirect heat will work on my hair. I hope you get your hooded dryer for xmas.

UrbanHeiress said:
Airdrying = hardhair for me no matter what I do. My hair loves indirect heat and rollersets really make my hair feel smooth and soft. Sometimes I just don't feel like doing the work.
your hair looks beautiful in your siggy. i hope my hair looks like yours after a rollerset.

My hair does much better if I at least dry under a hooded dryer. If I flat iron afterwards, I see very little breakage throughout the week. If I airdry, in a pony or down straight, my hair breaks off, especially in the pony where it can't dry easily under the scrunchie. If I do airdry, it absolutely cannot be touched until I wash again :ohwell: I'm not sure what the heat does that causes your hair to be in better condition.

Thanks den1. I love your hair. Rollersetting has been a great coverup for me. Eventually I will need to cut 2-3 inches off because the ends of my hair are not healthy at all due to overprocessing. Airdrying my hair seems to confirm that.

CAPlush said:
My hair does much better if I at least dry under a hooded dryer. If I flat iron afterwards, I see very little breakage throughout the week. If I airdry, in a pony or down straight, my hair breaks off, especially in the pony where it can't dry easily under the scrunchie. If I do airdry, it absolutely cannot be touched until I wash again :ohwell: I'm not sure what the heat does that causes your hair to be in better condition.

I totally agree with you on this. If I touch my hair during this point. It will shead like crazy.

Okay Den1 I'm glad you started this thread because I also started airdrying my hair and noticed alot of shedding. I usually braid my hair in 4 parts and then take the braids out and my ends are really frizzy. Last week I washed my hair, did a dc and parted my hair in 4 parts put each section in a ponytail and then made sure I put some NTM on each part and rolled my hair with 4 rollers and paper ends. This worked great and my ends were nice and moiturized.:) I have been washing my hair once a week but I think I'm going back to every two weeks and then blow dry it on warm

Thanks so much for the thread! I was thinking something was seriously wrong with either my hair or airdry technique. When I air dry even with tons of product, deep condition etc, I get breakage, shedding, and very dull dry hair.I even wondered if my hair was incapable of transioning. I'll have to give low to moderate heat a try! Thanks!

faithful said:
Thanks so much for the thread! I was thinking something was seriously wrong with either my hair or airdry technique. When I air dry even with tons of product, deep condition etc, I get breakage, shedding, and very dull dry hair.I even wondered if my hair was incapable of transioning. I'll have to give low to moderate heat a try! Thanks!

I've been having some problems with airdrying. I will try some alternatives. Thanks for posting this Den1

CAPlush said:
i think the heat helps to smooth out the hair cuticles, but it can also raise and damage it if used too often

den1 said:
The reason why i ask, is because after every wash, i moisturise my hair well and airdry in a bun and notice that after my hair is dried it doesn't feel smooth or soft and my ends are frizzy, especially when i take it down from the baggie and let it dry. Recently i had enough of the crunchy feeling hair and blowdried my hair straight, i noticed how so much more moisturised and silky my hair feels even my frizzy ends lie better. My hair isn't breaking and isn't shedding as much. has anyone experienced a difference in their hair when airdrying and using heat (direct/indirect).
I have and I thought I was just different from everybody else! LOL I am guessing that if you are 4b, a little heat helps when you have NG...but I'm new here..I haven't tried every technique for air drying, or found the right product combo, but for now I blowdry on warm / low with my ionic and my hair is dry in a flash. I don't try to straighten. Then I apply product and use a scarf to flatten my puffies. That's helping. Each shampoo is a new experience! :lol: the NG is bustin in folks!
Oh, I do better drying under my Ionic hood dryer, but its getting a little more serious since the NG appeared

faithful said:
Ditto to what she said! Thanks again! I did an experiment and I know there is a differnce!

Qetesh said:
i did this the last time i flat ironed my hair with my sedu. I sat under the drier for about 15 mins then jus flat ironed it damp. it came out pretty silky and nice, i got scared after cuz folks were saying not to straighten on wet hair, i had some breakage after but it wasnt horrible.

ill probably do it again but next time i will make sure my hair is only slightly damp when i flat iron it and ill use silicones to seal it.
Some one just posted an article in another thread that confirmed that the use of silcone will protect the hair with moisture.... do a search on silcone, it was within the past 3 days

UrbanHeiress said:
Thanks den1. I love your hair. Rollersetting has been a great coverup for me. Eventually I will need to cut 2-3 inches off because the ends of my hair are not healthy at all due to overprocessing. Airdrying my hair seems to confirm that.
You too....i'm cutting about 4 inches off very soon due to underprocessing damage from Affirm relaxers on my hair ends. I hope i'll be succesful in my new method of hair care.thanks for the compliment

growingbrown said:
I totally agree with you on this. If I touch my hair during this point. It will shead like crazy.
I go through the same thing, i'm in trouble if i remove my airdried bun, nothing but lots of shedding and breakage, but when i used my bloedryer i was amazed at how moisturised my hair was and i had very little breakage.

I have a problem with shedding.

When I airdry my hair continues to shed.

When I blow-dry, my hair is full and doesn't shed a bit. I always thought it was weird that applying heat doesn't cause me any problems. But like someone else said, to each his own.

den1 said:
Hi lonei, i'm really glad that you posted about your experience with airdrying. when i see so many ladies on LHCF who rollerset and have long healthy hair i thought well they must be doing something right. Thank-you so much for this info I think i'll get my friend to help me rollerset my hair for me, for now i'm gonna do the ponytail rollerset version. off to peek at your instructions
I think the rattail comb part is key. I'm just thinking back on the days when my hair worked. I always used a rattailed comb for my rollersets as lonei states (after detangling) to get each section smooth before rolling.... I completely forgot that step...end papers too...
:D

Back