i have a confession....

Rae81

hi :wave: I have been reading the boards and have a confession to make. When i perm my hair i pull it all the way through to the ends and overlap my perms :yep:. I know its bad but my hair has not suffered one bit. I even had my hair sylist doing it to :blush:. Thats it feels good to get that off my chest

I confess of using heat every other day on my leave out part of my weave so it would lay better.

I hope this is just a regular confession thread if not sorry for hijacking this thread.

Last edited:
I did this the ENTIRE 18 yrs I got perms and I'm positive it was the reason I had more hair on the floor than on my head. Just my opinion.

I have a confession...

I knew nothing about hair before I came on here, and the only thing you found in my house was a cheap shampoo and conditioner.. oh and olive oil. My hair was dry 90% of the time.

Now my cupboard is full, and I wake up not knowing what to use.

hi :wave: I have been reading the boards and have a confession to make. When i perm my hair i pull it all the way through to the ends and overlap my perms :yep:. I know its bad but my hair has not suffered one bit. I even had my hair sylist doing it to :blush:. Thats it feels good to get that off my chest

I'm guilty of this as well, it's only by the GRACE OF GOD that I still have hair on my head :look:..................

Just wondering, why do you continue to do it? ALthough you think it doesn't damage your hair, you should know by now that constantly re-relaxing relaxed hair is a waste of time and money because it's not needed......

I used to do it too before I found this board. Its a miracle I have any hair on my head. :grin:

I love confession threads!

I confess, I absolutely hate combing my hair and often avoid doing it, I don't finger comb either, I will go weeks at a time without combing...It's never super kinky and does not really shed much even when I do comb it..but *whew*...I had to get that off my chest.:yep:

I did that a few times following the advice of a less than competent hairdresser hell bent on turning what she called my nappy locks into silky Indian hair things were going along smoothly until my hair got a quickie divorce.

I'm guessing the splits are through out the hair shaft and not necessarily at the ends. At least that's what I've seen from repeat relaxing the same hair.

How's your hair growth rate?

I confess of using heat every other day on my leave out part of my weave so it would lay better.

I hope this is just a regular confession thread if not sorry for hijacking this thread.

This is probably coz your weave hair texture doesn't match yours well. If you use hair that's closer to your own texture you won't have to do this.

i have been doing this for years and i dont have alot of breakage my ends arent bad, so i guess not.

Well, if you must do it (and damage builds up...if your hair is stringy, it's terribly damaged), add the liquid protein to the relaxer and apply some kind of protection to the ends before you start the process. I hope you don't suffer a horrible setback.

Well, if you must do it (and damage builds up...if your hair is stringy, it's terribly damaged), add the liquid protein to the relaxer and apply some kind of protection to the ends before you start the process. I hope you don't suffer a horrible setback.

(Sorry) OT: I used to work with one of the girls in your siggy. They are really sweet & really pretty...it was just a surprise to see them, so I had to comment :look:

Just wondering, why do you continue to do it? ALthough you think it doesn't damage your hair, you should know by now that constantly re-relaxing relaxed hair is a waste of time and money because it's not needed......

I was wondering the same thing. I know we're all guilty of hair sins I was just curious why the OP continued to do it, is your hair not straight enough for your liking?

I used to do that before this board too. Do you think your hair is thin? My hair was thin and woolly before and I just thought it was my texture because it was still soft and shiny but it was damage. I had no idea how my real texture felt or what healthy was, I hope you are right tho and there is no damage but those chemicals can eat thru metal so that would be a miracle.

I did it years ago and my hair was always silky straight and took curls like nobody's business. Not sure why I stopped doing it though. I can't say that my hair was damaged "looking" but it stayed the same length forever.

I would be interested in seeing how this effect the hair on a microscopic level.

I'm transitioning right now(for the moment :look:) so hopefully I'll never do it again.

I'd love to see a picture of your hair, if you have one?

My confession:
I didn't go out today because my braidout didn't turn out so well. Couldn't even put it in a bun :sad:

I love confession threads!

I confess, I absolutely hate combing my hair and often avoid doing it, I don't finger comb either, I will go weeks at a time without combing...It's never super kinky and does not really shed much even when I do comb it..but *whew*...I had to get that off my chest.:yep:

I do the same thing........but I end up losing alot of hair that way anways. I just hate combing/detangling my hair, it's so tiresome.

I'd love to see a picture of your hair, if you have one?

My confession:
I didn't go out today because my braidout didn't turn out so well. Couldn't even put it in a bun :sad:

Next time this happens, spray some diluted conditioner mixed with avocado oil. This is a winner everytime.

This is probably coz your weave hair texture doesn't match yours well. If you use hair that's closer to your own texture you won't have to do this.

The texture is yaki perm and it not coarse enough. I think I should have gotten kinky straight instead even though this particular yaki perm is very coarse compared to the other brands.

I confess that I used to overlap relaxers all the time. Now I cover the relaxed ends in coconut oil and conditioner.

OP, I hope now that you are a member of LHCF that your plan is to discontinue unhealthy hair practices.

I would be interested in seeing pics of your hair. You say your hair hasn't suffered, but I would imagine that your hair stays the same length over time and that you must trim it often.

I confess to...
doing NO research before going natural
Never sectioning my hair when shampooing
using a "normal toothed" comb the first 2 years
Getting it dyed twice the first two years
Letting my sis braid the heck out of it tight till the point I cried
Using over the counter dandruff shampoos without using a moisturizing one or doing a deep conditioning treatment
All that was 3 years ago but the thoughts still horrify me
All the before mentioned contributed to my lack of growth and health of my hair

yeah before i was on the boards i didnt know it was a bad thing and since my hair sylist was doing the same thing i thought i was ok. but when i get my next touch up i dont plan on doing it. I dont leave the perm on my ends for a long time, i do it right before i wash it out. my hair doesnt come out bone str8 when i wash my hair after perming i stll have a curl to it.

BE CAREFUL!! my hair got sooooooo damaged from this....please please be careful!!!

I have pics for proof too!!

I did this for years and eventually my ends began to get raggedly...like someone else said its not necessary, so why take the chance of damage..

i did that only ONE time b/c i thought it wouldnt matter since most of it was going to get cut off into a bob...omg my hair was sooo overprocessed...at the time i liked it b/c it was sleek & bone straight but i paid for it when i was transitioning and my hair was breaking/shedding left and right...

confessions:

combing my hair the wrong way (dry, from root to tip)

never using a moisturizer (besides pink oil =/)

coloring my hair twice in a day, 2 days after a relaxer

flat ironing dirty hair

loading up my hair with grease b4 blowdrying or flat ironing ( i thought my hair would get straighter)

putting the metal part of the blowdryer directly on my hair until i saw smoke (also thought my hair would dry better and be straight)

setting the flatiron on the highest heat and going over the same piece multiple times

holding the flatiron to my new growth roots for atleast 30 seconds (it got straight like a relaxer and stayed that way for weeks)

cutting my extension braids out

thats all i can think of right now lol

Back