I got scoped

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:
I have developed a plan.

I will use some homemade recipes. But to jumpstart my treatment program for the first two weeks, I plan to get the sample package of the Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy. The sample package includes a 1.7 ounce sized bottle of the shampoo and a 1.7 ounce sized bottle of the the therapy. It is only $3 and I estimate that I will get two weeks worth of daily usage out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
What? Did you say HOMEMADE RECIPES? Giiirl, I'm on a homemade recipe stretch now, if you get a chance, could you let us know what you're using? I would be very interested in doing something like this because I used to pack my scalp with Blue Magic
laugh.gif

My friend was telling me I should try this line; it was recommended to her by another friend. They have the "starter" packs on sale at JcPenney's Salon for $14.99 but I didn't get it and I told the sales lady I wanted to do more "research" first. After reading this, and doing my own little "research" I feel my scalp needs to be detoxified esp. after using Surge which caused terrible flaking and nothing seems to get rid of it...but I don't like the fact that you have to use the Nioxin line exclusively...at least that is what was said on some of the sites I was looking at...

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:
Again Ms. Brown, I didn't buy the Nioxin. So I don't plan to give a review. It is a bit discouraging when posters immediately make negative assumptions about a person's experiences without first asking questions about the experience. It also is not about what I "feel." It is about what I saw before me on the television monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me be clear so you don't get the wrong impression: I was not trying to discourage you. I appreciate the info. When I said "feel" I meant whether or not you "felt" like you needed to "detox" with Nioxin, not whether the information you received was correct or not. The lady sounds like she knew what she was talking about. Also, I meant that I look forward to your review AFTER you purchase the Nioxin i.e. the $3 sample pack that you've referenced.

kasey Im interested in the homemade recipes too! it sounds interesting and credible to me too, it could have a lot to do with slow growing hair if the follicles are being blocked.

I might have to get this. I know how my face can get all crapped out, even when I wash it everyday. I guess it's like a facial for your scalp
smile.gif
I wish I knew about the grand opening, when I went to SS it wasn't open yet!
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:
The way the rep presented the problem and the solution to me was:

1.) My scalp had severe build-up, perhaps from years go.
2.) It needed to be detoxified.
3.) Nioxin products detoxify.
4.) She wrote a prescription for products that she felt would help.

She didn't say the only remedy was to buy Nioxin. Of course she will recommend Nioxin because she knows that line, uses that line and she works for the company.

If you don't want to go to a Nioxin rep for fear of products being pushed on you, go to an independent dermatologist.

You can't tell a healthy scalp by the color of it. Scalp skin is just like facial skin. The health is determined by whether the pores are clogged or blocked or whether there is product build up on the scalp.

During our 15 minute conversation we talked about my background. Based upon my personal history and what I saw with my own eyes as she moved the scope around my scalp, I am sure that I received a correct diagnosis.

Guys I am not trying to sell you on Nioxin. I only wrote the note to share my experience in the hopes that someone else could benefit. Again ladies. She did not push the products on me and I left the store without spending a dime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for sharing about your scope experience and the Nioxin line. I think I might want to try the sample size too. I sometimes have a very itchy scalp with very fine flakes of dandruff. I wonder if the Bionutrient Protectives Cleanser and Therapy would help rid my scalp of this problem?
scratchchin.gif
Hmmm...

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:
A 34-ounce bottle of the Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy at Ulta was on sale for only $39. But again, I DIDN'T BUY ANY PRODUCTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will give nioxin a try after I finish my Nexxus Junk.
smile.gif
DO you know whem the sale will end?

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:
P.S. Ladies, even if she did "push" the products on me it would have been worth it. A dermatologist quoted me a price of $120 for a consultation on my hair/scalp. I also was considering taking a trip up to NYC to meet with a trichologist. The price of the visit would have been $70 plus the train ride.

A 34-ounce bottle of the Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy at Ulta was on sale for only $39. But again, I DIDN'T BUY ANY PRODUCTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever consider a trichologist I know one in dc

so what herbs/natural remedies in particular help with scalp build up? I'm thinking Tea Tree oil might be one. Would that be right?

I'm a Nioxin believer. I've been using it sporadically for 10 years now. I only use the Shampoo & Scalp therapy conditioner. I've tried the follicle booster also. The other products I wasn't impressed with. It does cleanse the scalp, but you shouldn't use the products for more than a month. Then you go back to your normal shampoo & conditioner. It does make a difference. Nioxin is what I used when I had my
bad perm experience in 1985. Anytime I run into a "problem" I use it again but it will assist in correcting problems. It is not like Rogaine.

I started getting "scalp cleansings" about 4 months ago.
My hair has been growing like a weed ever since!!! The lady uses a 30% glycolic acid and microdermabrasion crystals to remove all the build up. She finishes with any oxygenating cream and deep massage. A vietnamese dermatologist told me that the reason so many black women have problems with their hair is because we use so many heavy oils that cause build up which blocks the pores. She has me washing my hair 2-3 times a week, using emu oil and Nioxin plus men's rogaine. I had a few bald spots and now they are filling in.

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:

The Nioxin rep recommended that I shampoo daily with the Nioxin prescriptives line. She said the shampoo would detoxify my scalp and remove the product build up.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times a week should someone use Nioxin?? Did she say? I have some and I haven't used it in a long time..but after reading your post.. I used it yesterday
laugh.gif
Do you think using once a week would be good enough after you rid your scalp of all buildup??

[ QUOTE ]
weaveitup said:
does anyone think seabreeze on the scalp would help remove build-up from it? kinda like how it does on the face?

[/ QUOTE ]
anybody?

I think I'm going to try the Organic Root Stimulator Scalp Scrub...I found it online for a low price [$7.99] as opposed to [$9.99+]. I also found another shampoo that supposedly "detoxifies" the hair and scalp but I already have shampoo...

Edited: I don't like the fact that the Organic Root Stimulator product has sodium laureth sulfate in it...

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:
Crystal,

I suppose detoxification of your scalp would be a continuous process--especially if a person plans to use products like gels, sprays and waxes on their hair. I imagine it is the same as keeping your facial skin and body detoxified for optimal performance.

The Nioxin rep recommended that I use the product every day. But since she was a sistah, she was realistic about daily use. In fact she told me that she doesn't shampoo every day because her hair is "high-maintenance." I didn't ask but she might have had relaxed and colored hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this thread... It makes so much sense to me. I've been reading some other threads about ladies who used Nioxin and many mentioned this light airy feeling after using Nioxin. So I'm sold.

I'm getting the kit for chemically treated hair. It comes with the cleanser, the scalp therapy and the treatment for 24 bucks. for 5.1 oz size bottle.. 3.1 oz for the treatment.

I can't wait, I'm convinced my scalp is clogged with stuff. I wonder if a growth spurt could happen?

thanks again.

[ QUOTE ]
weaveitup said:
[ QUOTE ]
weaveitup said:
does anyone think seabreeze on the scalp would help remove build-up from it? kinda like how it does on the face?

[/ QUOTE ]

anybody?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it could work. Sea Breeze says it deep cleanses down to the pores.

the ingredients in Sea Breeze and Nioxin are totally differnt though.

Sea Breeze: Ingredients
Alcohol Denat. , Water , Camphor 0.68% , Clove Oil Eugenia Caryophyllus , Eucalyptus Globulus Oil , Eugenol , Peppermint Oil Mentha Piperita , PPG-12-Buleth-16 , Sodium Benzoate , D&C Yellow No. 10 , FD&C Blue No. 1

Ingredients in Nioxin Bionutrient Cleanser:
Extract of Balm Mint, Nettle, Chamomile, Yarrow, Sage, Rosemary, Hops Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Mucopoly saccharides, Aloe Vera, Tocopherol, Wheat Germ Oil, Biotin, Niacin, Sorbitol, Linoleic Acid, Arachidonic Acid, Acetimide MEA, TEA Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocmide DEA, 6-LN-Acetylamino)-4-, Oxahexyl, Trimonium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, FD&C Blue #1

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
I wonder if this product would have the same effect ??
http://www.organicrootstimulator.com/products/scalp_scrub.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

I never see this at the store though, maybe because the CVS I go to near work isn't "urban" enough.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this. I bought it on a whim @sallys for a buck because of a damaged truck sale. Me likes. Its normally 8 or 9 bucks.

No, I just happened to come in on that Saturday. There was one person in the "chair" and I waited a few minutes for my turn.

Thanks for the info Vickid. In what kind of establishment do you have this scalp cleansing service done? How often do you go for treatments? May I ask how much it costs? Thanks.

Weaveitup, I would be concerned that the alcohol in Seabreeze might lead to a dry scalp condition.

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:
The Nioxin rep recommended that I shampoo daily with the Nioxin prescriptives line. She said the shampoo would detoxify my scalp and remove the product build up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Kasey!!! Funny you should post this. Just day before yesterday I was perusing my product junkyard and saw my Nioxin set and said, "Let me use this up..." I have the Protectives line. Is that you're referring to? I don't think they have a Prescriptives line. If I remember correctly, I bought my set online. Boy, did this stuff make my scalp tingle... alright, let mr continue reading thread.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Enchantmt said:
[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
I wonder if this product would have the same effect ??
http://www.organicrootstimulator.com/products/scalp_scrub.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

I never see this at the store though, maybe because the CVS I go to near work isn't "urban" enough.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this. I bought it on a whim @sallys for a buck because of a damaged truck sale. Me likes. Its normally 8 or 9 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the ingredients in the ORS scalp scrub?

ORS Scalp Scrub
Ingredients
Water , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Polysorbate-20 , PEG-20 , Methyl Glucose Dioleate , Lauramide DEA , Triethanolamine , Aloe Vera , Phytic Acid , Sea Kelp , Menthol , Rosemary Oil , Capsicum , Horsetail Extract , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Nettle Leaf , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , Sea Salt , Polyquaternium-15

They are used with baking soda. I just ordered some off of Walgreens.com ($10) It's 3 applications.

I ordered the ORS Scalp Scrub from metrobeauty.com for $7.99. I don't like that it has the SLES but I figured I needed something.

Ladies, I have decided that it is too much work trying to keep my scalp clean and my hair moisturized. So I am going to shave my head bald so that I can exfoliate my scalp and start all over. LOL

Actually I was wondering how I would manage treating my scalp and my hair I found myself wandering into Trade Secret. (See what being on the board does to a person.)

But it was a blessing for me that I ventured in because I learned that Nioxin has a new line of hair care products. And I think that these are what the Nioxin rep was recommending to me. If you recall from my previous messages, during my scope there were no products in sight.

Ladies, Nioxin's new line comes in champaign-colored bottles. They come in both the Protectives line (for color-treated hair) and the Actives line (for non-chemically treated hair) The new line claims to do the same work as the white-bottled line, but it has silk amino acids and kukui nut oil to keep the hair moisturized. When I asked the Trade Secret guy if he had any samples he said "yes" and brought me a bag full of them. He said that some AA's have found the Nioxin Protectives for color-treated hair (in the white bottles) to be a bit drying to the hair--especially if the shampoo is used daily.

For the ladies who aren't having scalp issues who just want to maintain a healthy scalp I suggest getting the samples or starting out with the small 1.7 ounce-sized bottles. The shampoo is actually very concentrated and probably needs to be diluted with water at a 1:1 or 1:3 ratio.

Back