I got scoped

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:
Well, I always have been intriqued by the Nioxin products, and that $3 sample pack and the $39 special for the large bottles of both the poo and scalp therapy seems like a good deal.

But for now I will see what I have at home that might help. In the past I have tried using essential oil growth blends that were recommended by board members without the same success--and now I know why.

I am doing some research on way to detoxify the scalp. I have access to an herb shop and may try to concoct something on my own.

[/ QUOTE ]so, is it safe to say that if your scalp tingles when its supposed to (ie, when using things like peppermint), that youre relatively okay in the build-up department??
~T~

kasey, we are all clear that you didn't buy the products
laugh.gif
If we were being skeptical it was an attempt to look out for your interests and to offer cheaper alternatives to a pretty expensive product line. If you really feel like you need to detox, then do it. I'd love to see your review of Nioxin
smile.gif

I used to use Nioxin. PJ'ism led me astray. It is a n excellent line and not that expensive to me. I used it while on Accutane and didn't lose an xs strand of hair. I totally understand you Kasey, I know when my face is clogged I can't feel tingly products. As opposed to when I've been using Retin A and my pores are clear as evidenced by less zits etc, I can really feel the tingle.

I am trying the sample size Profectives Nioxin now..so far I really like the Scalp Therapy and the Treatment, they both make my scalp tingle, and the shampoo is okay too. I tried it because the front edges of my hair are thin from having braids too tight. I have seen some growth but to be quite honest, I don't know if from the Nioxin or Surge, it could be a combination of both. <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font>

[ QUOTE ]
kasey said:
The way the rep presented the problem and the solution to me was:

1.) My scalp had severe build-up, perhaps from years go.
2.) It needed to be detoxified.
3.) Nioxin products detoxify.
4.) She wrote a prescription for products that she felt would help.

She didn't say the only remedy was to buy Nioxin. Of course she will recommend Nioxin because she knows that line, uses that line and she works for the company.

If you don't want to go to a Nioxin rep for fear of products being pushed on you, go to an independent dermatologist.

You can't tell a healthy scalp by the color of it. Scalp skin is just like facial skin. The health is determined by whether the pores are clogged or blocked or whether there is product build up on the scalp.

During our 15 minute conversation we talked about my background. Based upon my personal history and what I saw with my own eyes as she moved the scope around my scalp, I am sure that I received a correct diagnosis.

Guys I am not trying to sell you on Nioxin. I only wrote the note to share my experience in the hopes that someone else could benefit. Again ladies. She did not push the products on me and I left the store without spending a dime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good Kasey, I am happy for you. It sounds like you learned a lot and are very informed all while having fun. THANK YOU for sharing this with us. I understand about the rep who was trying to help you but I'm even more impressed that she was a sistah (with great hair at that). Even if she did push the product line on you, she would only be doing her job...which I can understand as an advertising major.
wink.gif

<font color="pink"> wow i bet if i got that done i would have lots of buildup on my scalp from using Blue magic for so many years... </font> <font color="black"> </font>

Crystal,

I suppose detoxification of your scalp would be a continuous process--especially if a person plans to use products like gels, sprays and waxes on their hair. I imagine it is the same as keeping your facial skin and body detoxified for optimal performance.

The Nioxin rep recommended that I use the product every day. But since she was a sistah, she was realistic about daily use. In fact she told me that she doesn't shampoo every day because her hair is "high-maintenance." I didn't ask but she might have had relaxed and colored hair.

Falon,

A glazed Krispy Kreme donut.
laugh.gif
This is a strong visual image for how my scalp looked after being magnified 200 times.

I have developed a plan.

I will use some homemade recipes. But to jumpstart my treatment program for the first two weeks, I plan to get the sample package of the Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy. The sample package includes a 1.7 ounce sized bottle of the shampoo and a 1.7 ounce sized bottle of the the therapy. It is only $3 and I estimate that I will get two weeks worth of daily usage out of it.

[ QUOTE ]
lsubabiedee said:
hey kasey, which line of products is it....i see about 4-5 on the site

[/ QUOTE ]
Same question
laugh.gif

Yeah B-Rose I could have gone to a derm and paid for the same information--or paid for less information. Depending on the derm that you go to that office may or may not have a scalp scope. Nioxin is a company dedicated to hair and scalp treatment. There have been other board members who have gone to derms for similar problems who have been prescribed cortizone treatments. I don't have the funds or the interest in being treated with cortizone shots if I can achieve the same results with a detoxifying regiment.

Shatani,

Each person is different. If you are experiencing normal growth then you may be okay--but I am not a professional. I noticed a difference in my reaction to products from others on the board which led to my search for answers.

Again Ms. Brown, I didn't buy the Nioxin. So I don't plan to give a review. It is a bit discouraging when posters immediately make negative assumptions about a person's experiences without first asking questions about the experience. It also is not about what I "feel." It is about what I saw before me on the television monitor.

im really worried if its the line that i mentioned above b/c it says that its not for chemically treated hair...and umm...i wouldnt want anyone to have a bad experience

Bajangirl, Thanks for your post. I don't think its hugely expensive either--especially if you get the big bottles. The sale at Ulta was two 34-ounce sized bottles one each of the shampoo and scalp therapy for $39. That could last a little more than 8 whole months with daily use.

This is incredible information. Kasey were you at the ULTA in Silver Spring? I was there during the grand opening and they gave me a free sample of Nioxin. I was too scared to use it but now I will!

Yeah, Greatness, it would have been unprofessional of me to start asking her about other lines of products. If a person gets a free evaluation and doesn't want to invest in the products that are recommended it is up to her to do her own research.

Dee and Denali,

For my condition, the Nioxin rep recommended the Bionutrient Protectives Cleanser and the Bionutrient Protectives Scalp Therapy to detoxify my scalp and add more moisture to my hair.

She also recommended the Bionutrient Protectives Treatment and the Follicle Booster to stimulate growth in the areas that had the most product build up.

Back