I got braids....pics

RabiaElaine

I got braids last friday. Please see the pics in my album. I used human hair from Adorables. It is a mix of dark brown and and blond, with a mix of 70% of French Refined and 30% Spanish Wavy. I love the way it looks! I've been getting nothing but compliments. This is my first set of braids as I start the crown and glory method to get my hair past my shoulders. I believe I am going to start texturizing instead of relaxing. My hair really isn't thriving with a bone straight relaxer. I will be doing more research on LHCF on that. In the mean time I will be braiding and resting between braids w/out relaxing. At this point I am going to try to go a year. I don't know how I'll survive with the two very opposing textures but I am up for the challenge.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the pics. BTW even though the braids look really tight they really aren't that bad now. The parts are actually bigger than they look in the pics but not as big as they should be for crown and glory. I will go bigger next time.

Congrats on the new braids! Real cute.

IF I get braids with extensions again--I'm going to try human hair!

diamoness said:
Those braids are gorgeous........how long did it take?
Lovin' the colors too!!!!

Thanks everybody!!

It only took about 7 hours split between two days. A girl who goes to my church did it. I paid her $70 bucks. The hair cost over $200 though :perplexed . The problem is now I love the texture so much I'll probably keep going back for more.

oooh!!! very pretty!!! and those pictures are so gorgeous and clear! what kind of camera do you use??

Shatani said:
oooh!!! very pretty!!! and those pictures are so gorgeous and clear! what kind of camera do you use??

My coworker took them, he does some professional photography on the side. I think he used his Nikon, I'm not sure. His camera cost about $1500 i think.

mahoganee said:
Beautiful braids girl and for $70!

I know!! And she's fast. It took about 7-8 hours from the comfort of my own home. We started last thursday night and braided from 7pm-1am almost 2/3 of my hair was done. She finished the rest the next day.

If I got this done at an African braiding salon it would have cost anywhere between $120-$160, they probably would have been even quicker but I preferred using her. I told her exactly how I wanted them, and she didn't mind if I corrected her on something as we went along. She's really very talented and accomodating.

If anyone in NY needs to get their hair done feel free to PM me, and I'll hook you up with her.

Last edited:
gorgeoushair said:
Nice braids and I am loving them curls...what kind of hair did you use

I bought my hair from Adorables ( you see there ads in various hair books ). They are located in Manhattan but they also ship. The hair is a mixture of 70% French Refined and 30% Spanish Wavy. This is the texture I've always wanted when I've braided with regular Wet and Wavy. The hair was quite expensive, but because I got the exact look I was going for I'm okay with it.

The great thing about this hair is that as my hair grows out at the root it will only be noticable right on top because the curly hair is so thick you can't see anything through it.

I already can't wait for my next set. I'm going to have her do the braids even bigger with bigger parts.

Your hair looks nice. I will be trying braids after 10 weeks to stretch my relaxer to as far as possible. I havent had braids for over 15 years. I am a little scared about my hair being damaged. Anyway let me know how you get on with them

Kizzy

kizzylonghair said:
Your hair looks nice. I will be trying braids after 10 weeks to stretch my relaxer to as far as possible. I havent had braids for over 15 years. I am a little scared about my hair being damaged. Anyway let me know how you get on with them

Kizzy

I'm sure everything will be fine. Just make sure they don't put them in too tight or too small. Once they are in don't forget about your hair. Care for it, moisturized it, cleanse it, and protect it.

Do some searches there are lot's of threads about braid maintenance, AJamericanDiva has a great one. Also go on www.growafrohairlong.com for the crown and glory braid method.

Let me know how it works out for you.

RabiaElaine said:
I'm sure everything will be fine. Just make sure they don't put them in too tight or too small. Once they are in don't forget about your hair. Care for it, moisturized it, cleanse it, and protect it.

Do some searches there are lot's of threads about braid maintenance, AJamericanDiva has a great one. Also go on www.growafrohairlong.com for the crown and glory braid method.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks, I will do some research

Keep in touch x

Thanks Cminter.

Update on braids, I washed them for the first time last night using Crown and glory method/Ajamericandiva's braid washing method, the wash went well in my opinion the hair still looks fresh.
Thanks AJD!!

Back