I going to do it!

brittanynic16

Today I decided that I was going to do it! I am going to transition! I am so excited. I have been looking at the pictures of transitioners trying to figure out what my hair would look like and I just couldn't decide what I was going to do. Then today in class I sat behind this girl with natural hair and I admired it the whole time. The texture was beautiful. She was a 4a/b. I am not sure if my hair will be similar but I realized that I wanted to see my real hair. My mom is against it. She keeps making little comments about how unhappy I will be but I don't think I will. But, I don't care! I am going to be natural and beautiful!!
smile.gif

Wish me luck!!
grin.gif

You got ME all excited for you LOL!!! YOU GO!! Just be patient. I felt the same way as you: I really wanted to see my own texture again. You will be fine with all the advice here and with so many transitioners. Are you gonna cut your hair completely off after a while or are you trying to keep both textures? Keep us posted.

bouncy.gif
Welcome to the club! In case you hadn't noticed, there's a lot of us now
laugh.gif
. You'll definitely get all the support & info you need from here and the plethora of nap-friendly places on the net. It's hard sometimes - my mom isn't really negative about my decision, but her favorite thing to do is run her fingers through my hair and tell me how NAPPY my hair is. It bothered me at first, now I'm just like "Yeah Ma! It is nappy. Isn't it beau-ti-ful?" You just have to learn to brush it off. Once you've made your decision, don't let anyone (even the ones you love) get ya down. When they do - imagine your head full of healthy natural hair - ready for you to learn and play with and it'll all be worth it.
smile.gif

Good luck!

I think that I'll keep the two textures for a while. Thanks for the support I am going to need it with all this negativity around me.

[ QUOTE ]
kerplunky said:
bouncy.gif
Welcome to the club! In case you hadn't noticed, there's a lot of us now
laugh.gif
. You'll definitely get all the support & info you need from here and the plethora of nap-friendly places on the net. It's hard sometimes - my mom isn't really negative about my decision, but her favorite thing to do is run her fingers through my hair and tell me how NAPPY my hair is. It bothered me at first, now I'm just like "Yeah Ma! It is nappy. Isn't it beau-ti-ful?" You just have to learn to brush it off. Once you've made your decision, don't let anyone (even the ones you love) get ya down. When they do - imagine your head full of healthy natural hair - ready for you to learn and play with and it'll all be worth it.
smile.gif

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! You made me smile
grin.gif

Good look and I'm glad that you decided to embrace your natural hair. When I went natural a year ago my entire family criticized me. I still get slack from a lot of them, but my mom has come around a lot and she is the most supportive of my hair. I had cornrows in last week and took them out yesterday. She told me that she was glad that I took them out because she likes my natural look better because it simply looks healthier. It took a while for her to come around, but she did and your mom probably will to. But for now you just need to do what makes you happy. Good luck transitioning and happy growing!

You are gona be very happy with your decision. Sometimes I wish I had 4a/4b hair cuz I always get asked do I have a jheri curl and thhat is really embarrassing lol. Seriously though Congrats on your decision and i hope you pull through with it.

Congratulations brit! I wish I'd gone natural when I was your age. I'd probably have hair to my waist by now! Seriously though, I think every adult woman who's been relaxing since childhood should give natural hair a chance if only to understand her own hair better. You will look sooo cute in afropuffs!!

CONGRATULATIONS!
tongue.gif
arty7:

My mom was negative when I told her, but I dunno why I told her in the first place because I knew she would be. Just remember you have all of us at LHCF cheering you on!
clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
You are gona be very happy with your decision. Sometimes I wish I had 4a/4b hair cuz I always get asked do I have a jheri curl and thhat is really embarrassing lol. Seriously though Congrats on your decision and i hope you pull through with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks you! I am very excited.

[ QUOTE ]
jetcitygirl said:
Congratulations brit! I wish I'd gone natural when I was your age. I'd probably have hair to my waist by now! Seriously though, I think every adult woman who's been relaxing since childhood should give natural hair a chance if only to understand her own hair better. You will look sooo cute in afropuffs!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the words of encouragement! By the way, your hair is beautiful. What products do you use?

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
CONGRATULATIONS!
tongue.gif
arty7:

My mom was negative when I told her, but I dunno why I told her in the first place because I knew she would be. Just remember you have all of us at LHCF cheering you on!
clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! I do hope she gets better. But, after she sees how beautifully it will look she will want it too.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
CONGRATULATIONS!
tongue.gif
arty7:

clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! I do hope she gets better. But, after she sees how beautifully it will look she will want it too.
laugh.gif

I support you too! Returning to my natural hair is one of the best decisions I ever made. My only regret is that I didn't do it ten years ago. But for everything there is a season, I guess.
I agree with JetCityGirl--every Black woman should spend some time in her adult life with a full head of her very own natural hair. I am so glad I didn't let myself miss out.
Congratulations on your decision!

Yayyy for Brit!!!! Congrats! You can do it! My family wasn't supportive of my decision either in the beginning. However, they eventually came around when they realized that I made up my mind. The funny thing is that now my mom and sister are now natural (check out their pics)!! Hehe!!
Anyway, good luck during your transition!!!!

Thanks Maestradiva! My mom can say whatever she wants. This is my hair and I am going to do with it as I please. I have about an inch and a half of new growth and I am already in love with it. I just think that it is sad that she has such a negative opinion about what God gave her. It also troubles me that she pass it on to me to not love my hair. When I told her that I was thinking of gong natural (I have not told her that I have made my decision, she probably thinks that I am kidding) I showed her some pictures of what I think my hair will look like and all she said was that she use not impressed. She always says that when I show her a hair picture, like her hair is the bomb. But she was singing a different tune when I came home from school and she saw how much my hair grew. Then she had the nerve to say that she hope her hair would grow that much. When also told her about considering going natural she said, "Well, your hair is not bad it is just so thick! It is hard to deal with." I had to tell her that you are not suppose to deal with natural hair like relaxed hair. If you have that mentality then they it is going to unmanageable. I said I was not going to be pressing my hair all the time what would be the point of going natural. And she was shocked that I would not press! She was like "Well, what are you going to do?" Duh! Wear my natural hair, what else? I can feel how beautiful it is going to be. Wait until she gets a load of me. LOL. Sorry, I had to let out my frustration. Thanks for listening.

I SAY GO AHEAD WITH YOUR BAD SELF. YOUR HAIR WILL BE SO BEAUTIFUL....THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH NATURAL HAIR....PLEASE BE SURE TO POST PICS....

congratulations!

there is such a wealth of information online about how to take care of natural hair available now that i didnt have when i first went natural. i wish u much luck in your napptural journey.

This is great. I must say that my mom wasn't very supportive at first, but now that it has grown, and I am able to style it. She thinks it is very pretty. Every now and again she asks if she can press it, but I say no. She can press very well. When I was younger my hair was always swangin and bangin with her presses. But for now i would like to wear it as is. I am so excited for you. keep us posted.

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
I SAY GO AHEAD WITH YOUR BAD SELF. YOUR HAIR WILL BE SO BEAUTIFUL....THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH NATURAL HAIR....PLEASE BE SURE TO POST PICS....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Sherry!
laugh.gif
I love my momma but sometimes she can be so closed minded. But, don't worry. I'll open it. I took some pictures and as some as my $ gets here I will have them deveopled and I will post them on my site.

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
congratulations!

there is such a wealth of information online about how to take care of natural hair available now that i didnt have when i first went natural. i wish u much luck in your napptural journey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I will utilize that info too.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
tracyannette said:
This is great. I must say that my mom wasn't very supportive at first, but now that it has grown, and I am able to style it. She thinks it is very pretty. Every now and again she asks if she can press it, but I say no. She can press very well. When I was younger my hair was always swangin and bangin with her presses. But for now i would like to wear it as is. I am so excited for you. keep us posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I am extra excited! I can't stop touching it. I don't think that I will ever get tired of looking at pictures of natural hair.

Back