I feel like quitting..

BKfinest

I started my HJ with LHCF in July of this year and I'm still learning ..but for 4 months shouldn't I see some type of difference in length? I mean I see thickness and a big difference in my edges thanks to JBCO, but I want length.
I have a very simple Reggie: I'm a salon goer currently 3 weeks post.
I now relax every 12weeks (I use to do 8 weeks) ORS Relaxer Normal strength
I wash once a week ( silicone mix shampoo or Cream of Nature ( Sunflower & Coconut)
DC (with heat) after every wash ( Alter Ego Garlic Treatment, Silicone Mix or Miss Keys 10 N 1)
If I see breakage I will do a hard protein treatment ( nexxus emergencee) not often either once a month or once every two months
I M&S every night (HE LTR & Hollywood Beauty CO because JBCO is to heavy for my ends)
I apply JBCO to my scalp 2x a week and on my edges every night and morning
I wrap my hair at night with a satin scalf.
I get rollersets so I usually wear my hair out but I just mastered the sock bun from Youtube so now I'm bunning.

Based on my reggie Is there something I'm missing or is there something that I'm doing that I shouldnt be?

I'm not a quitter but I dont know what else to do. :sad:

Have you been taking pictures? Sometimes people don't realize how much growth they actually have without pictures. Your hair in your siggy looks healthy and thick.

I think your regimen is good, great actually. I'm not seeing regular direct heat usage, you seem to have the moisturizing conditioner vs protein balance thing going, and you wrap your hair in satin scarves at night, all good.

SL to APL is frustrating. I say, take pictures of your progress! You may not "see" the progress, but if you look at a picture of your hair in your personal album between 3 months, you'll see a difference. Also, measure where your hair is now vs your goal, subtract the inches to go and that'll give you a good time line. For some, getting to APL took 1 year, others 2 years, depending on the person's height.

You could start a fotki. I go to my fotki all the time when my hair is in ps mode to see my progress. I lurk other fotki for tips.

Have you been taking pictures? Sometimes people don't realize how much growth they actually have without pictures. Your hair in your siggy looks healthy and thick.

I agree with Janda. I started my journey in May 2010. When I look at my hair I can't see any growth. However, when I look at pictures I see progress. Also, most people see the improvement of the condition of their hair before seeing length.

4 months really isnt' that long, and a watched pot never boils. I would put your hair away so that you're not obsessing over it and take pictures! you'll find that you have more length than you'd expect, if your regimen is right for your hair. Think of it this way, you'll have to go through the same amount of time anyway right? Would you rather have the hair that you will have if you stuck to a good regimen for a year, or the hair that you would have if you gave up?

FOUR months?
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I didn't see any visible difference until about 10-12 months into my HHJ. Be patient and definitely don't quit! If you make all that you have learned about hair a lifestyle change and keep it up I promise you will be very pleased in the future :yep:

I started my HJ with LHCF in July of this year and I'm still learning ..but for 4 months shouldn't I see some type of difference in length? I mean I see thickness and a big difference in my edges thanks to JBCO, but I want length.
I wash once a week ( silicone mix shampoo or Cream of Nature ( Sunflower & Coconut)
DC (with heat) after every wash ( Alter Ego Garlic Treatment, Silicone Mix or Miss Keys 10 N 1)
If I see breakage I will do a hard protein treatment ( nexxus emergencee) not often either once a month or once every two months
I M&S every night (HE LTR & Hollywood Beauty CO because JBCO is to heavy for my ends)
I get rollersets so I usually wear my hair out but I just mastered the sock bun from Youtube so now I'm bunning.

Based on my reggie Is there something I'm missing or is there something that I'm doing that I shouldnt be?

It has been my experience that health comes before length. My hair got exceptionally healthy before I started seeing any growth.

I started my HHJ around the same time but I'm still experimenting with the regimen. Perhaps our hair just needs a bit to adjust to the fact that it's (in my case FINALLY) being taken care of. :look:

Awww...Don't quit!!! I agree with the above posters:

1. 4 months is just the beginning of your HHJ, you may not realize that your hair is "changing", that's why pictures are so great!

2. In my case, especially, these last 4 months, I expected to get more length than I got...What I got was thicker hair and nicer ends...

3. Counting the minutes, days, and hours of the journey can sometimes be counterproductive...As obsessive as we can be, sometimes it can be too much!

Please do not give up!!!!It will be worth it!

I haven't since that siggy pic... Maybe I should start. I come on here a see such amazing results and I get discouraged. I feel like there's no hope for me.

I start my HHJ a year and a half ago, I remember in the first 10 to 13 months being feeling so frustrated because I seen everyone's progress while mine had no visible length progression and I couldn't get knots and breakage under control.

I found out the solutions to my problems and now I'm seeing progress. Sometimes it takes others longer to find out what works to them in order to retain length. A Keeping it simple regimen was definitely the solution for me.

Try not to compare yourself to others, and I agree with the above posters your hair looks thick and healthy. Keep your head up and don't quit.

I think your regimen is good, great actually. I'm not seeing regular direct heat usage, you seem to have the moisturizing conditioner vs protein balance thing going, and you wrap your hair in satin scarves at night, all good.

SL to APL is frustrating. I say, take pictures of your progress! You may not "see" the progress, but if you look at a picture of your hair in your personal album between 3 months, you'll see a difference. Also, measure where your hair is now vs your goal, subtract the inches to go and that'll give you a good time line. For some, getting to APL took 1 year, others 2 years, depending on the person's height.
Thank you, once joining LHCF I stopped with the flat irons and hot curlers I just use heat for my DC and Roller sets that's it. I know I have to have patience and I have to stop watching my hair and let it do what it has to do. I will start taking pictures and keep my fingers crossed.

I haven't since that siggy pic... Maybe I should start. I come on here a see such amazing results and I get discouraged. I feel like there's no hope for me.

Most of us have been where you are. You can not compare yourself to others. You will ALWAYS be disappointed. Take NJoy for example. She has had remarkable growth. However, this is not the norm!!! On average people have 6 inches a year. AVERAGE, some have more others have less. Give it at least a full year. By your own admission your hair is getting thicker and healthier. Keep up the good work. Don't obsess about your hair. Go read a book, hang out with friends, and next summer I bet you will be happy.

HHJ stands for healthy hair JOURNEY. It takes time.

Your regimen looks pretty solid. How often do you trim? Also, if your growth rate is average 4 months would equal 2 inches (or a little less if you've trimmed) so take pics.

4 months really isnt' that long, and a watched pot never boils. I would put your hair away so that you're not obsessing over it and take pictures! you'll find that you have more length than you'd expect, if your regimen is right for your hair. Think of it this way, you'll have to go through the same amount of time anyway right? Would you rather have the hair that you will have if you stuck to a good regimen for a year, or the hair that you would have if you gave up?

So true... I will give the obsession a rest... Thank you!

FOUR months?
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I didn't see any visible difference until about 10-12 months into my HHJ. Be patient and definitely don't quit! If you make all that you have learned about hair a lifestyle change and keep it up I promise you will be very pleased in the future :yep:

Dont Laugh :sad:.....Nah just joking..I know I'm nuts I guess I want to wake up one morning and see hair down to my feet! LOL

Awww...Don't quit!!! I agree with the above posters:

1. 4 months is just the beginning of your HHJ, you may not realize that your hair is "changing", that's why pictures are so great!

2. In my case, especially, these last 4 months, I expected to get more length than I got...What I got was thicker hair and nicer ends...

3. Counting the minutes, days, and hours of the journey can sometimes be counterproductive...As obsessive as we can be, sometimes it can be too much!

Please do not give up!!!!It will be worth it!

Thank you I wont quit I will stick to it...I have a goal and I wont stop until I get it.

I quoted the most interesting part of your post....the ladies are totally right, you've just started and you're watching your pot boiling, girl!!! now you're frustrated. If I can give my 5 cents....
1-you're still a newbie in haircare (it seems in fact) but you already have a regimen that works for you....it took me a year to stop jumping from 1 product to another and set a simple regimen. That's a big PLUS
2-your routine is simple and you adopted really good techniques and habits; you got rid of heat: 2nd PLUS
3-your hair is thicker after 4 months of care....girl, isn't that the 3rd PLUS
4-I don't know how was your hair when you started your journey but if it was damaged then you're lucky you recovered your edges and healthy hair in just 4 months.

So .....instead of getting frustrate looking at where you want to go, please look at what you've achieved so far because it worths it.Look at this thick and shiny hair of yours and pics, pics, pics! they are the best witness. Enjoy your healthy hair and lenght will come when the times comes :yep:
Remember a watched pot......you know the end, right:lol:

I start my HHJ a year and a half ago, I remember in the first 10 to 13 months being feeling so frustrated because I seen everyone's progress while mine had no visible length progression and I couldn't get knots and breakage under control.

I found out the solutions to my problems and now I'm seeing progress. Sometimes it takes others longer to find out what works to them in order to retain length. A Keeping it simple regimen was definitely the solution for me.

Try not to compare yourself to others, and I agree with the above posters your hair looks thick and healthy. Keep your head up and don't quit.

Thank you....Thats exactly what I was doing...I would see someone with a reggie close to mine and I would say " well why is her hair growing and my isnt" I know it will take time and patience to see a difference.

I quoted the most interesting part of your post....the ladies are totally right, you've just started and you're watching your pot boiling, girl!!! now you're frustrated. If I can give my 5 cents....
1-you're still a newbie in haircare (it seems in fact) but you already have a regimen that works for you....it took me a year to stop jumping from 1 product to another and set a simple regimen. That's a big PLUS
2-your routine is simple and you adopted really good techniques and habits; you got rid of heat: 2nd PLUS
3-your hair is thicker after 4 months of care....girl, isn't that the 3rd PLUS
4-I don't know how was your hair when you started your journey but if it was damaged then you're lucky you recovered your edges and healthy hair in just 4 months.

So .....instead of getting frustrate looking at where you want to go, please look at what you've achieved so far because it worths it.Look at this thick and shiny hair of yours and pics, pics, pics! they are the best witness. Enjoy your healthy hair and lenght will come when the times comes :yep:
Remember a watched pot......you know the end, right:lol:
Sigh....you're right I should be happy with what I achieved thus far. I lost my edges years ago from tight micro braids and nothing helped until I started using JBCO. When I started seeing hair and thick hair at that I was like :ohsnap:. I will started doing what you and all the other ladies said who responded just basicly set it and forget it LOL

I know it is hard, but don't be discouraged! You have just started out, so you should have notice that your hair is healthier. If your hair seems to have thickened that's a good sign your hair is growing. Your regimen seems solid; I suggest you measure your hair with tape measure to accurately determine your progress, and definitely PS (keep ends off neck and back) for the next year or until you get to APL.

I don't compare myself because it can be discouraging to watch others show more progress than you. I've watched as others transition/BC 9-12 months after me and pass my progress; I'm 5'10, so realizing it may take longer for me to reach my goals because of my proportions and height has made my journey a lot easier.

I know it is hard, but don't be discouraged! You have just started out, so you should have notice that your hair is healthier. If your hair seems to have thickened that's a good sign your hair is growing. Your regimen seems solid; I suggest you measure your hair with tape measure to accurately determine your progress, and definitely PS (keep ends off neck and back) for the next year or until you get to APL.

I don't compare myself because it can be discouraging to watch others show more progress than you. I've watched as others transition/BC 9-12 months after me and pass my progress; I'm 5'10, so realizing it may take longer for me to reach my goals because of my proportions and height has made my journey a lot easier.

Thank you for your feed back ....yes its thicker and I'm happy for that....I just have to wait and see....I will do PS for awhile but I know I have to find some other styles other than bunning because I will get bored.

Most of us have been where you are. You can not compare yourself to others. You will ALWAYS be disappointed. Take NJoy for example. She has had remarkable growth. However, this is not the norm!!! On average people have 6 inches a year. AVERAGE, some have more others have less. Give it at least a full year. By your own admission your hair is getting thicker and healthier. Keep up the good work. Don't obsess about your hair. Go read a book, hang out with friends, and next summer I bet you will be happy.

HHJ stands for healthy hair JOURNEY. It takes time.
Thank you, keeping my fingers crossed.

Your regimen looks pretty solid. How often do you trim? Also, if your growth rate is average 4 months would equal 2 inches (or a little less if you've trimmed) so take pics.

since joining the forum I haven't trimmed... I feel she cuts more than she needs to. Tuesday I will be 4 weeks post and I have NG. I will start taking pics and compare.

You have to understand that some of us have been on this HHJ for years before you see the type of progress that people post about. Don't be discouraged, and I encourage you to take pictures. I know that for myself, I see a dramatic increase in thickness before my hair drops in length- and this is true for many people. 4 months is nothing in terms of length really (one would only expect about 1.5-2 inches which can be barely noticeable if you're not taking pictures)

Well from what I can see in your siggy your hair looks very very nice! You are seeing progress with your edges and thickness so dont stop now! You are right on the cusp of getting length. Sometimes for some people that comes last. Dont worry. All your efforts wont be in vain.

Look at it this way: you either take care of your hair or abuse your hair. If you quit, you risk losing the thickness that you've gained over the 4 months and going into a downward slide from there.

It's like deciding not to bathe anymore because you get dirty everyday. What's the alternative?

Back