I don't know what to do!

Crissi

...I have been growing my hair for exactly 5.5 months, from a fade, now i have box plaits thatare near 3 inches long (yay getting my half and inch a month!)Anyway i have had enough already! It isn't long, and its doing fine, retaining length and all the good stuff, nevertheless i forgot how thick and kinky/coily my hair is. To the point that i was braiding it today and the amount of hair that came out was depressing! my hair jus coils into itself to the point that 3 inches looks like less than half an inch. I want to grow my natural hair to 18 inches, however i don't think i have the patience to deal with natural hair, it is as if i have become a slave to my hair! I ave never relaxed, i've always wanted to grow my natural hair long because i think it looks pretty and i want to prove a point, however is it really worth it? Am i better off getting a relaxer? it take forever and a day to deal with my hair now, what will it be like ina yr or 2? :wallbash::spinning::blush:

Crissi, Congratulations on your growth!!! I sho do remember your start pics! You have got to be proud of yourself!

Well, I COMPLETELY understand what you are saying. I am relaxed but my last relaxer was in late JAN of this year, and (though I hate to admit it) I am NOT a big fan of my natural hair! I understand your frustration of "dealing with it". It gets real old, real quick. I don't understand why anyone needs to "deal" with it if they don't have to, y'know? What's wrong with loosening up the curl pattern to make it more manageable?

Anyway, I have made the decision to relax again once my 12 mos stretch is over. However, I do not encourage you to do it. I have so much respect for women who wear and "deal with" natural 4a/b hair. I enjoy hearing about your progress (and seeing it too). You are an inspiration to other women here and in RL. I am rooting for you girl!!!

Keep it growing!

hang in there! we may not have the same coil pattern, but i have SUPER THICK hair and i'm at APL. believe it or not, it's actually a little easier to take care of as it gets longer... especially in protective styles, which is what i'm about to do for the rest of the fall/winter months. and look on the bright side... i feel it's always better to have thick hair that you can get thinned out, than to have thin hair that you spend your days wishing was thicker and fuller! :yep:

and shrinkage... well... it's something that comes with the territory. :sad: but when you focus on nurturing your hair's health, it's always rewarding to look up one day and pull out a coil and suddenly notice it's grown several inches, or to get your hair straightened and be shocked by how much true length you have. :grin:

Thank you ladies for the encouragement! Im going to try and foot it out for atleast a year! lol 6 months to go.I will post pics tomorrow, i need my
bed! I should just be thankful that im retaining legnth even though the shrinkage makes it appear as if its not growing...at all!

Crissi, x

Back