I don't know what else to do! Help for a shiny rollerset please!

Every time I rollerset my hair and comb the curls out, my hair just looks dull. I have tried henna,ACV rinses, and cold water rinses for some shine, but the thing is, when I rinse my hair after my DC and do my cold water rinse, my hair looks BLING-BLINGING:lachen:. But it is only after I do my rollerset and dry they look dull, so I thought it was my leave-in. I have tried Sunsilk Hydra TLC 24/7 Cream, Cantu Shea Butter Leave In and I tried a dime sized amount of Redken All Soft Heavy Cream (All on different occasions, I did not mix them) but when I tried the Redken All Soft I did use a bit of that ORS glossing polisher in the mix and it did NOTHING, my hair was just a bit sleeker.

Any suggestions?

Is your hair completely dry? I find my hair is sometimes dull when it's not all the way dry - it's not damp but not 100% dry. I say add on another 15-20 minutes after you THINK it's dry. Also, if you use a conditioner that is heavy with protein and don't get all of it out, it can put a funk on your set. :perplexed

After I wash and DC, when I'm rollersetting I spritz each section with a mixture of water + castor oil. Trust, my hair is extra-blingy when I'm done with the rollerset.

Yea, it is completely dry, I always stay an extra 10 or 15 min. And I don't think the protein is the problem either cause I don't use any.
This is my regimen every 3-4 days:
Pre-poo with Aussie Moist
Co wash with Sauve Humectress
DC with Redken All Soft heavy Cream
and then use a Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In or Sunsilk TLC 24/7 to rollerset (i have tried to add coconut oil to them in the spray bottle, but it still didn't help)

And then once or twice a day I will moisturize with ORS Olive Oil and seal with castor oil

You should try Lacio Lacio leave in. It leaves my hair supershiny. What I do is mix the Lacio Lacio with water, shake and I roller set my hair with that.

Try using less product for your rollerset. I find that the less product I use in my hair - meaning a dime to quarter size amount oil leave-in and oil - the better my hair is - it's shiner, bouncier, etc....

hth

Clarify, and then deep condition with something that has a good amount of dimethicone or silk in it. Put a leave in conditioner and then some silk serum and rollerset soaking wet hair. Your hair should have lots of shine and bounce after this. The rollerset needs to be tight though. You should see the sheen on the set and it should reflect light.

You should try Lacio Lacio leave in. It leaves my hair supershiny. What I do is mix the Lacio Lacio with water, shake and I roller set my hair with that.
Eh, I tried Lacio Lacio before and didn't like it, but I'll revisit since you've recommended it.

I actually clarified yesterday when I tried and DCed Redken All Soft Heavy and then used a dime-sized amount of Heavy Cream in my spray bottle along with the ORS Glossing Polisher. My rollerset had bounce, but no shine. I use the dryer on high setting.

My rollersets always come out shiny. after shampooing and deep conditioning I apply my leave-in, a quarter sized amount of moisturizer and a very small amount of oil into my towel dried hair prior to rollersetting and my hair comes out great.:yep:

Add a serum to your rollerset and it will pull out your hairs inner bling!

I use Fantasia Frizz Buster and it works like a charm. :yep:

I agree on the serum as well.
I've tried other things with my rollersets, but I always come back to the serum. I like the Fantasia heat protectant serum (in the pink bottle).

OP thanks tons for asking this q...have the same issues.

great responses and ideas to try...thanks everyone..:yep:

After I wash and DC, when I'm rollersetting I spritz each section with a mixture of water + castor oil. Trust, my hair is extra-blingy when I'm done with the rollerset.

what's the water to oil ratio in your mix? thx

Clarify, and then deep condition with something that has a good amount of dimethicone or silk in it. Put a leave in conditioner and then some silk serum and rollerset soaking wet hair. Your hair should have lots of shine and bounce after this. The rollerset needs to be tight though. You should see the sheen on the set and it should reflect light.

is it necessary/should one clarify each time this is done?

TIA

Try adding an oil to your water bottle. I've tried coconut and meadowfoam with good results, but I like meadowfoam better :yep:

I don't know how much I use, I just eyeball it. Maybe 3 tablespoons of oil in my 8 oz bottle

Try adding an oil to your water bottle. I've tried coconut and meadowfoam with good results, but I like meadowfoam better :yep:

I don't know how much I use, I just eyeball it. Maybe 3 tablespoons of oil in my 8 oz bottle

thx for the approximates, helps a lot.

I've used meadowfoam seed oil directly on 'The Hair' and like it but I'm really on the edge to try broccoli seed oil.
I've read it adds high shine and to use it in this type of framework could be the cat's meow...lol

I'm excited to try these approaches to shine with no chems...:yep:

Thanks ladies for sharing....

what's the water to oil ratio in your mix? thx

Castor oil is very thick, so I have mostly water in my spritz bottle. If I were to estimate, something like 8 parts water to 1 part castor oil. The oil and water will separate so shake it up real good, get to spritzing, and rollerset. I'm talking about serious bling.

Castor oil is very thick, so I have mostly water in my spritz bottle. If I were to estimate, something like 8 parts water to 1 part castor oil. The oil and water will separate so shake it up real good, get to spritzing, and rollerset. I'm talking about serious bling.

Thanks...I'm lookin' for serious bling without chems. This is a go with my next wash.

Thanks so much for this tip....I'm excited!!! :grin:

Try Salerm 21 Leave In conditioner. After I've conditioned and washed, I mist some glycerin rosewater on my hair and then apply a dime size amt of the Salerm 21. The shine and sleekness I get b da BOMB.

I will have to try this. I love how castor oil helps thicken the hair up (it's in my moisturizer and I love it) too. Glycerin rosewater and coconut oil gives incredible shine as well.

is it necessary/should one clarify each time this is done?

No, but if you have had lots of product in your hair leading up to your wash it is best to do it. You could always use a moisturizing shampoo after a clarifying wash if you are worried about your hair being stripped too much, this is what I do.

No, but if you have had lots of product in your hair leading up to your wash it is best to do it. You could always use a moisturizing shampoo after a clarifying wash if you are worried about your hair being stripped too much, this is what I do.

Agreed. I usually clarify/chelate every 2 months (last wash before I relax) and it makes a huuuuuge difference. My hair always feels lighter, softer, and is more responsive to the products I use. Nexxus Aloe Rid is a great clarifying/chelating shampoo.

thanks for this tip also. I ordered SAA and I'll use it as you've suggested.

deep condition with something that has a good amount of dimethicone or silk in it. Put a leave in conditioner and then some silk serum and
rollerset soaking wet hair.

I don't use a serum and would like to avoid it...wonder if a Castor oil+water+SAA mix will work here as a substitute for a serum or at lease
as a setting solution? Well, I get to play...:blush:

Thanks to all for your input/suggestions to the op, I'm just taggin' along...:lachen:

Have a great weekend, everyone....:grin:

sunshine...thx for these directions...even if I wrote 'em down wrong...:lachen:

I mixed he spray using 3TBL/8oz water instead of 1TBL/8oz water..:rolleyes:

I do have shiny hair this am, it feels a little coated :blush: but when I run my fingers through my hair it's not greasy. :nono:

I sprayed each section as I rolled and concentrated on the ends. :yep:

This morning I noticed a difference with my ends, much less :kissing4: and no tangles or knots when I finger comb... :clap:

I always felt I wasn't being as effective as I could with sealing, this process should really address that issue. I'll know in
about 2 days which is usually when the dry hair fairy :fairy:caresses my locks.

Next wash I'll have my SAA, I'll try it in my poo, DC and add it to the correct mixture...:grin:

Thanks again...it's a winner in my book...:happydance:

Low the temp to medium, try doing a final rinse with porosity Control and use a Serum like Giovanni Frizz Be goe and plain water to set it. This always leads to shiny hair for me. Good luck

sunshine...thx for these directions...even if I wrote 'em down wrong...:lachen:

I mixed he spray using 3TBL/8oz water instead of 1TBL/8oz water..:rolleyes:

I do have shiny hair this am, it feels a little coated :blush: but when I run my fingers through my hair it's not greasy. :nono:

I sprayed each section as I rolled and concentrated on the ends. :yep:

This morning I noticed a difference with my ends, much less :kissing4: and no tangles or knots when I finger comb... :clap:

I always felt I wasn't being as effective as I could with sealing, this process should really address that issue. I'll know in
about 2 days which is usually when the dry hair fairy :fairy:caresses my locks.

Next wash I'll have my SAA, I'll try it in my poo, DC and add it to the correct mixture...:grin:

Thanks again...it's a winner in my book...:happydance:

I'm glad it worked for you. :grin: Yes, you have to make sure not to use too much or else, like you said, coated city. :lachen: Just a little bit goes a long way. Also, I've found that coconut oil works similarly. It's lighter than castor oil. What I do is liquify a bit of coconut oil in my hands, run it through my strands, and proceed with rollersetting. So you may wanna try this too.

I'm glad it worked for you. :grin: Yes, you have to make sure not to use too much or else, like you said, coated city. :lachen: Just a little bit goes a long way. Also, I've found that coconut oil works similarly. It's lighter than castor oil. What I do is liquify a bit of coconut oil in my hands, run it through my strands, and proceed with rollersetting. So you may wanna try this too.

I have been attempting to do that but nothing has given me the smoothness and knot-less ends that the spray bottle/oil/water brew
applied to each section as it's rolled has done.

I need to lighten up on the castor oil a lot..:yep:

This approach has eliminated my inner turmoil loops (tangles) and I'm anxious to see how long it holds moisture...at any rate...

Thanks...Thanks...and Thanks again for sharing...

coconut oil all the way, it's very light and melts in your hands. Shines like new money.

Otherwise lottabody+water=VERY SHINEY.

I added Ginseng Wonder 8 Oil to my usual spritz bottle (very diluted KeraCare leave-in) this afternoon for the first time and sprayed before i put the rollers in.

It does make a difference - my hair is more hydrated and shiney after drying.

Try this product....

nairobiwrapfoamtl3.jpg

You can purchase it here...

http://www.chapmanproducts.com/retail/nairobir.htm

Make sure your hair is SUPER wet when you are rollersetting. If my hair isn't that wet, my set looks a bit dull.

My setting mix is water, olive oil, aloe vera juice, SAA, lacio lacio

Back