I don't know how I'm going to get through the summer in a bun

HairQueen

*Sigh* Ladies now that the weather is getting much warmer over here I am starting to get really down about wearing my hair in a protective bun EVERY day.

It wasn't so bad in the winter cos I knew I was protecting my hair from dry / rainy and cold weather so I wanted it to be up and I wasn't going out as much.

With the summer I just want to feel good and if my hair isn't down I NEVER feel good. I even turned down an invitation from a friend today to go to a barbecue, just because I have my hair in cornrows with a baggie bun and phony pony at the back and I don't feel good in myself. If I see cute guys that just makes it worse cos I know I look better with my hair down so I always think I may be missing some opportunites! (lol)

You ladies that have bunned it all year round how did u cope when the weather is nice or did it not bother you at all?

Last edited:
Resident Bun Queen, here! :wave:

I just uploaded some more of my bun photos in my album (in the gallery section) if you want to take a peek. I bought lots and lots of cute hair sticks, clips, pins, you name it. I really had fun with my hair. I didn't let having my hair up limit me. I took the opportunity to be creative with my hair.

You can always let your hair down if you want. I certainly did and it didn't hinder my progress. Even when I had my hair in a baggie, I would get some pretty scarves and dress it up.

I agree with Boadicea, just beacuse you're in Bun Mode doesn't mean that you can't have fun with it. To wear protective styles shouldn't exclude wearing your hair out.
Before I braided up, I would wera my bun during the night when I'm off to bed. On days that I wanted it out, I would flat iron it or wear my instant weave! I plan on using sticks, clips & other styles while my hair is braided. The key is to have fun while styling, if not, then what't the point! :look:

Hmn I guess I will go get some more hair accessories those stick thingys look really nice - never tried those b4.

Bo your buns are really pretty!

Thanks!

If you've never tried them, they really are easy to use. And they come in different sizes (some are as small as 3-4 inches long, others 10 inches, etc) and even shapes (some are straight, some are swirled).

Some times it's best to already have your hair in a bun via scrunchie and then put the sticks in. There's less damage to your hair that way.

And even if it turns out that you don't like it, wear your hair down and love it! The bun police won't get you. :D

Boadicea said:

I just uploaded some more of my bun photos in my album (in the gallery section) if you want to take a peek. I bought lots and lots of cute hair sticks, clips, pins, you name it. I really had fun with my hair. I didn't let having my hair up limit me. I took the opportunity to be creative with my hair.

You can always let your hair down if you want. I certainly did and it didn't hinder my progress. Even when I had my hair in a baggie, I would get some pretty scarves and dress it up.

I agree 100% accessories are key, dress up your bun, use different parts, with a nice sleek bun and a cute pair of earrings, youd be surprised at how good it makes you feel!

Boadicea said:
Thanks!

If you've never tried them, they really are easy to use. And they come in different sizes (some are as small as 3-4 inches long, others 10 inches, etc) and even shapes (some are straight, some are swirled).

Some times it's best to already have your hair in a bun via scrunchie and then put the sticks in. There's less damage to your hair that way.

And even if it turns out that you don't like it, wear your hair down and love it! The bun police won't get you. :D

lol at bun police! :lol:

Babygurl said:
I agree 100% accessories are key, dress up your bun, use different parts, with a nice sleek bun and a cute pair of earrings, youd be surprised at how good it makes you feel!

I will try this, am going through seriously booooored stage and I am going bun crazy :crazy:

I can't wait until my hair is as long as yours, then I will look back on these hard times. *sigh*

Poohbear said:
Me neither... that's why I'm going to chop this mess off!

Pooh I just saw your siggy. Did you do the BC!!

edited: never mind i saw your reply in the other thread. Congrats girl!! can't wait to see the pics.

Last edited:
I might be a little late, but I have an idea. You might think it's silly, but here goes. If you want cute hairstyle ideas, buy a SEVENTEEN magazine! I'm only 16 and i have a subscription and I got the new issue yesterday and they have some really cute hairstyles in there. Some can even count as protective hairstyles. The past few issues have had hairstyle ideas. So, yeah, if you don't find anything, you can always check them out... I myself am thinking of trying a couple cuz I don't wanna wear a bun throughout the whole summer either, especially that I live in Miami. All that heat will be pretty harsh, and I do understand what you mean about the cute guys... but anything for long hair! :ohwell:

Alternate wearing it up one day or a couple days out of the week with wearing it down. I will be wearing mine up 90-95% of the time, because here in SC, the humidity is almost always 100% everyday anytime past May thru October, so my hair will end up being hot on me if its hanging down. Plus, I'm trying to avoid a major need for a trim until Dec 05, and the protective style thang is da bomb right now!

Boadicea,

I love looking at your album but when I went to fotki just now, nothing came up. Would you mind posting the link to your album? :) I'd love to check out your new bun photos. I've always been impressed by your creativity. Thanks in advance for your help!

Boadicea said:

Hi, Nyambura! Thanks! My album is just on this site now. My newest bun is the "offcenter1" photo. I've been wearing my hair like that a lot.

Boadicea said:
Hi, Nyambura! Thanks! My album is just on this site now. My newest bun is the "offcenter1" photo. I've been wearing my hair like that a lot.
Did you leave Fotki? :eek:

Can you take a bun break? I'm rodding all summer, this is a great way to let your hair breathe while still being able to sleep comfortably and take care of your hair. My hair has made great progress since I started. Pics in my fotki.

I think bun breaks are neccessary especially since there are sooooo many protective/up-do styles to explore!!!!
Must keep it moist & loose!

CarLiTa said:
I might be a little late, but I have an idea. You might think it's silly, but here goes. If you want cute hairstyle ideas, buy a SEVENTEEN magazine! I'm only 16 and i have a subscription and I got the new issue yesterday and they have some really cute hairstyles in there. Some can even count as protective hairstyles. The past few issues have had hairstyle ideas. So, yeah, if you don't find anything, you can always check them out... I myself am thinking of trying a couple cuz I don't wanna wear a bun throughout the whole summer either, especially that I live in Miami. All that heat will be pretty harsh, and I do understand what you mean about the cute guys... but anything for long hair! :ohwell:

Thanks girlie,

I am desperate to try anything!

LilChocolateMa said:
Can you take a bun break? I'm rodding all summer, this is a great way to let your hair breathe while still being able to sleep comfortably and take care of your hair. My hair has made great progress since I started. Pics in my fotki.

Had a bun break already! When I had my last relaxer around 6 weeks ago, thats the only time I let myself take a break - for about a week or two after I just get my relaxer, any other time and I can't anyway coz my hair is like really puffy back there with all the twice a week washing and no heat styling so I would have to use heat if I want to wear my hair out :nono: .

I am planning to stretch to 16 weeks this time so the next bun break is 10 weeks away! Oh well its something to look forward to I suppose.

I think I'm gonna try those stick thingys and get some pretty clips to keep me going in the mean time :)

Back