I did my own corrective last night and it came out great

gymfreak336

I decided to go ahead and do my corrective last night because I have been noticing more and more shedding and even though conditioning was helping, I knew that it wouldn't stop. Plus I waited 6 weeks so I figured wth. I based my whole scalp with ampro base. I divided up my head in sections based on what had the most newgrowth and underprocessed sections. I decided to use ors lye. I started applying the relaxer as fast but carefully as I could and I used a tongue depressor to smooth it instead of a comb. I let it process for about 15 mins and rinsed. I noticed that my hair felt smooth and very soft, much like silk elements. I didn't burn at all. I then followed with motions neutralizing conditioner for around 7-10 mins and proceeded to neutralized with proclaim shampoo. I then did one lather with aveda damage remedy poo and followed with the conditioner. I used giovanni direct and ors olive oil foam to set. My hair dried very soft and I am extremely pleased with how everything turned out. After correcting all of my texture differences I regained almost an inch of length so my setback a couple of weeks ago doesn't seem as bad. I will say that using a conditioner for 5-10 mins before you neutralize can make a big difference in overall softness and strength of your hair. If you haven't tried it before give it a try next time you relax. In fact if you read the instructions to your relaxer system carefully, most suggest the use of a conditioner before proceeding to the neutralizing process. As soon as I rinsed the motions one from my hair, you could feel the difference. It felt stronger and very sleek without feeling stripped. It also helps soothe the scalp. Motions silk protien conditioner, motions neutralizing conditioner, proclaim shea butter moisturizing conditioner and duo tex all have instructions on how to use it right after rinsing out your relaxer.

I used ORS lye for my corrective also. I won't use anything else from now on to do my touch ups. I was so afraid my hair would break off, but a month later my hair is growing and getting healthier. I'm glad you had a good experience.

Thanks ladies. ORS lye is some good stuff. I actually prefer for someone else to relax me but no one ever takes as much care as I do.

Glad to hear it went well. I have some underprocessed hair in places too and I was wondering when you do a corrective if you pull/smooth it straight through to the ends and for how long?

nycutiepie said:
Glad to hear it went well. I have some underprocessed hair in places too and I was wondering when you do a corrective if you pull/smooth it straight through to the ends and for how long?

I applied it directly only to the new growth. As I smoothed, I pulled it only to the underprocessed parts in the last 10 mins.

Thanks Gymfreak! Nelli got me scared with her comment so I think I'll just continue to suffer and deal with the different textures.

nycutiepie said:
Thanks Gymfreak! Nelli got me scared with her comment so I think I'll just continue to suffer and deal with the different textures.

Didn't mean to scare anyone. I'm sowwy:(

I'm in the same boat as you. I got a lot of underprocessed hair and I would like to do a corrective but I don't want to risk it.

Gymfreak, I'm glad it went well for you! I did a corrective on a section of my hair a while ago (like 2 years ago) and that section is retaining length extremely well. I'm certain that had I not did the corrective, it would have broken off because it was sooooo dry and frizzy no matter what I used.

I just used the ORS Lye on a section of my hair a few months ago and I'm still loving how my hair feels. I plan to relax the entire crown area with it in a couple of weeks.

Ladies, all the corrective does is silken your hair. It really can't do any harm unless you leave it on too long or use a no-lye to correct. :)

LiLi said:
Gymfreak, I'm glad it went well for you! I did a corrective on a section of my hair a while ago (like 2 years ago) and that section is retaining length extremely well. I'm certain that had I not did the corrective, it would have broken off because it was sooooo dry and frizzy no matter what I used.

I just used the ORS Lye on a section of my hair a few months ago and I'm still loving how my hair feels. I plan to relax the entire crown area with it in a couple of weeks.

Ladies, all the corrective does is silken your hair. It really can't do any harm unless you leave it on too long or use a no-lye to correct. :)

When you did your corrective, how many minutes did you process your hair for?

gymfreak336 said:
Thanks ladies. ORS lye is some good stuff. I actually prefer for someone else to relax me but no one ever takes as much care as I do.

Yes!!! I'm so glad it worked out for you:D :D :D , especially after your trip to the beauty school.

nelli711 said:
When you did your corrective, how many minutes did you process your hair for?

I processed the underprocessed section for 5 minutes. I will not straighten your hair much further but it will silken it which makes a huge difference if you have truely underprocessed hair (dry, frizzy hair).

LiLi said:
I processed the underprocessed section for 5 minutes. I will not straighten your hair much further but it will silken it which makes a huge difference if you have truely underprocessed hair (dry, frizzy hair).

Yes it does. That is why I did it, it makes a HUGE difference

I was very excited to see this on the shelf at a new beauty supply store that just opened up. I bought the ors lye relaxer but I was confused about the neutralizer. Is there a reason that you used motions conditioner and proclaim neutralizer? Also, does ORS sell a neutralizer because I just saw a aloe shampoo and some conditioning paks. If anyone else has used this relaxer please share your experience and steps.

God'schild said:
I was very excited to see this on the shelf at a new beauty supply store that just opened up. I bought the ors lye relaxer but I was confused about the neutralizer. Is there a reason that you used motions conditioner and proclaim neutralizer? Also, does ORS sell a neutralizer because I just saw a aloe shampoo and some conditioning paks. If anyone else has used this relaxer please share your experience and steps.

They do sell the professional neutralizing shampoo. It's the same color green as the moisturizing lotion that they sell in the big bottle. I finally found it last week. However, when I did the test section, I used the Creamy Aloe shampoo. I was told that it is the same thing as the professional one. They also sell the Replinishing Conditioner in the big bottle.

Gym/Lili - can you do a corrective with no-lye? I use Phyto but I've only been using it for 1 year. I still have some hair at the bottom that is from a lye relaxer. I believe my underprocessed hair is from the first time I used Phyto because I was using MTG at the time and I don't think it took too well. My hair has like 4 textures in the following order from root to end: nappy (ng) , straight (phyto no-lye), underprocessed (phyto no-lye) and then straight at the ends (lye). I'm thinking about trying to correct the underprocessed phyto part when I do my touch-up but Lili mentioned something about screwing it up with no-lye and Phyto is no-lye. Thanks for your help ladies!

nycutiepie said:
Gym/Lili - can you do a corrective with no-lye? I use Phyto but I've only been using it for 1 year. I still have some hair at the bottom that is from a lye relaxer. I believe my underprocessed hair is from the first time I used Phyto because I was using MTG at the time and I don't think it took too well. My hair has like 4 textures in the following order from root to end: nappy (ng) , straight (phyto no-lye), underprocessed (phyto no-lye) and then straight at the ends (lye). I'm thinking about trying to correct the underprocessed phyto part when I do my touch-up but Lili mentioned something about screwing it up with no-lye and Phyto is no-lye. Thanks for your help ladies!

I am sure you can. Make sure you protect your already fully relaxed hair well and don't be stingy with the relaxer. I realized that that was what underprocessed me in the first place.

JewelleNY said:
How lond did you wait between you initial relaxer and you corrective relaxer?

It was around 6 weeks. During those 6 weeks I had twice weekly deep conditioning treatments, a full blown protein treatment and I moisutrized twice a day and didn't use any heat on my hair. Right now, my hair is doing great. I have good moisture levels and no breakage.

Back