I did my first self touch up!

godzooki

Yay! I'm so proud of myself! I had to wake up super early this morning to do it and not be disturbed by the kiddies. We're talking 6am! First I spritzed my ng and hair with silk aminos (newlie arrived just in time!) and then took a certain test and surfed the web for 30 min until it dried. Then I based my scalp and ends with vaseline. I parted in 6 sections (3 per side) clipped the sections and prepped. I ended up using the silk elements lye regular to which I added about 2 tbl olive oil. I did start from the back but more right in the middle of the back of my head because that's my coarsest spot. I worked my way down and then up. I was going to use an application brush but I ended up using my gloved fingers which made the whole process go much faster. The only thing I made a mistake in was doing one side completely before the other. By the time I realized my mistake it was too late. I tried to make up for it by leaving the hairline on the first half undone until I caught up on the other.

anywhoo, I used my fingers to smooth. and then rinsed in the kitchen sink. The whole process took just under 20 minutes and there was absolutely no burning. Not even a single tingle!!! After rinsing I used joico k-pak and let it sit under a cap for 5 min. Rinsed this out in the sink and used silk elements neutralizing shampoo. Dang that stuff has some serious lather! With the first wash I let it sit for 5 min and then rinsed and washed 2 more times just to be sure. Then I used Hello Hydration, baggied and let that sit 15 min. This time I went on ahead and jumped in the shower because my hair was getting horribly tangled from the sink. Detangling the mess in the shower helped greatly but I was not too happy and had two vicious knots :wallbash:. After that I gently pressed a towel to my hair to absorb as much water as I could and then used some Giovanni Direct Leave In and spritzed with CHI keratin mist. I put it in a low pony and silk scarfed it and let it airdry for about 30 minutes and then I used CHI silk infusion and using a tourmaline paddle brush with air vents, blow dried with the new GoldNhot tourmaline hair dryer I bought the day before. I sectioned my hair in 4 sections and each section took a mere 2 minutes to dry! Even as unexperienced as I was doing it with a brush! My hair came out light, silky feeling and underprocessed by stylists's measures but you know what? I like it! I guess I can concider this texlaxing?

I still have some waves but if I chose to they could easily be flat ironed out. My hair feels great! Heck, my scalp feels great! does not even feel like I relaxed it compared to how abused it normally feels at the stylists! No tenderness, No bad smell, No limpness!

I am wondering if I might have done too much to prevent burns and therefore REALLY slowed down the relaxers work because as I said I felt not even a tingle. Maybe the silk amino's, vaseline and olive oil were overkill? I also gotta figure out what I'm going to do about the tangles from sink washing to get the relaxer out. I hate it!

today was a good day overall. I am pleased with my first attempt. I do plan to try to perfect it and eventually get a sit down dryer and learn how to rollerset so I won't have to blow dry but I definatly feel I can do this again and plan to. Yay!

Oh, yeah, I teased hubby about how I was going to save him so much money from doing my own touch ups and that he could put the money towards getting me a Dyson and danged if he did'nt buy it for me a few hours later!! So I rewarded him by telling him I was pregnant with #4:yep:...Good thing I'm saving money now,lol!

Yay! I'm so proud of myself! I had to wake up super early this morning to do it and not be disturbed by the kiddies. We're talking 6am! First I spritzed my ng and hair with silk aminos (newlie arrived just in time!) and then took a certain test and surfed the web for 30 min until it dried. Then I based my scalp and ends with vaseline. I parted in 6 sections (3 per side) clipped the sections and prepped. I ended up using the silk elements lye regular to which I added about 2 tbl olive oil. I did start from the back but more right in the middle of the back of my head because that's my coarsest spot. I worked my way down and then up. I was going to use an application brush but I ended up using my gloved fingers which made the whole process go much faster. The only thing I made a mistake in was doing one side completely before the other. By the time I realized my mistake it was too late. I tried to make up for it by leaving the hairline on the first half undone until I caught up on the other.

anywhoo, I used my fingers to smooth. and then rinsed in the kitchen sink. The whole process took just under 20 minutes and there was absolutely no burning. Not even a single tingle!!! After rinsing I used joico k-pak and let it sit under a cap for 5 min. Rinsed this out in the sink and used silk elements neutralizing shampoo. Dang that stuff has some serious lather! With the first wash I let it sit for 5 min and then rinsed and washed 2 more times just to be sure. Then I used Hello Hydration, baggied and let that sit 15 min. This time I went on ahead and jumped in the shower because my hair was getting horribly tangled from the sink. Detangling the mess in the shower helped greatly but I was not too happy and had two vicious knots :wallbash:. After that I gently pressed a towel to my hair to absorb as much water as I could and then used some Giovanni Direct Leave In and spritzed with CHI keratin mist. I put it in a low pony and silk scarfed it and let it airdry for about 30 minutes and then I used CHI silk infusion and using a tourmaline paddle brush with air vents, blow dried with the new GoldNhot tourmaline hair dryer I bought the day before. I sectioned my hair in 4 sections and each section took a mere 2 minutes to dry! Even as unexperienced as I was doing it with a brush! My hair came out light, silky feeling and underprocessed by stylists's measures but you know what? I like it! I guess I can concider this texlaxing?

I still have some waves but if I chose to they could easily be flat ironed out. My hair feels great! Heck, my scalp feels great! does not even feel like I relaxed it compared to how abused it normally feels at the stylists! No tenderness, No bad smell, No limpness!

I am wondering if I might have done too much to prevent burns and therefore REALLY slowed down the relaxers work because as I said I felt not even a tingle. Maybe the silk amino's, vaseline and olive oil were overkill? I also gotta figure out what I'm going to do about the tangles from sink washing to get the relaxer out. I hate it!

today was a good day overall. I am pleased with my first attempt. I do plan to try to perfect it and eventually get a sit down dryer and learn how to rollerset so I won't have to blow dry but I definatly feel I can do this again and plan to. Yay!

Oh, yeah, I teased hubby about how I was going to save him so much money from doing my own touch ups and that he could put the money towards getting me a Dyson and danged if he did'nt buy it for me a few hours later!! So I rewarded him by telling him I was pregnant with #4:yep:...Good thing I'm saving money now,lol!

Enjoyed reading your post.

When I read "certain test" I immediately thought along the lines of EPT.

Congrats on the touch up and baby number 4. So happy for you!

Your hubby sounds tooo sweet.

Maybe one day I'll have the nerve to do my own relaxer.

So happy your touch up came out good, your right, think of all of the money you'll save. Most importantly congratulations on baby #4 what a blessing for your already beautiful family. I always tease my husband about #4 and he's like, no way, we're good.

It is a great feeling to do your own touch ups and not rely on anybody else. I do mine as well. The more you do it, the better you'll get.

Anyway, congrats on the baby :)

What a great read!
Congratulations to your success at your first try self-relaxing and number 4! :)

I'm about to get off the computer now and try my first self-relax too!

Congratz on self relaxing and the new addition to the family!!!! Also the dyson, what is a dyson, lol!? I'm thinking a hairdryer.

congrats on the touch up and baby! are you hoping for a girl?
one ? though what is a tourmaline paddle brush with air vents?
im trying to master my own touch ups now that im almost 7months preg i dont have the strength or energy to go to the salon and sit for hours.

Thanks for the replies and congrats guys. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm exhausted! Even now I'm trying to read posts and my head keeps nodding back almost whacking the head board. I am so proud of myself that I broke down and did my own touch up. I'm underprocessed but if for any reason I need it bone straight I can simply flat iron it. I still have a lot to learn but I think I'm headed in the right direction. I'm really happy because unlike after my salon touch ups, I have not had any post shedding.

Wheezy, a Dyson is a vacume cleaner,lol. A very expensive vacume cleaner. In the past yr I've gone thru 2 vacumes. Both supposedly halfway decent so I really wanted a high quality vacume.

Thanks all for the baby congrats. We are still in shock because we thought we were done. I do have to say that we all are hoping for a girl. It would be icing on the cake!

Congrats!!:D Doesn't it feel good to take your 'hair destiny' into your own hands?:up:

I hope you get your girl this time:babyg:

Okay, I'll admit it. I am so nosy. I was reading and thinking "what kind of test did she take?"

YEAH - I'm so happy for you - both the touch up and the baby news. Those boys look like they could spoil a baby sister rotten. Best wishes on a smooth pregnancy.

I have always loved your hair.

Congrats!! Can't wait to see the pregnancy pictures this time of you and you hubby.:grin:

wow, that's excellent!! i wish i could self-relax so bad. i think i'm gonna try next time around.

congrats again on the baby :grin:

Congratulations on both fronts. I remember when you were pregant with your little boy...

Relaxing one's hair is very nerve wrecking, expecially if you are doing it for the first time. From what you are saying, I bet it turned out all right. For me, the best way to relax my hair is w/my fingers, no gloves, nothing. It always turns out like/better than when a professional does it... Again, Congrats.:yep:

Congratulations on both fronts. I remember when you were pregant with your little boy...

Relaxing one's hair is very nerve wrecking, expecially if you are doing it for the first time. From what you are saying, I bet it turned out all right. For me, the best way to relax my hair is w/my fingers, no gloves, nothing. It always turns out like/better than when a professional does it... Again, Congrats.:yep:

How you do it is exactly how I wanted to do it. Even though I did use my fingers, I had gloves on and I hated the gloves. I had to keep trying to adjust the rubber fingers. I really wanted to pull them off but kept hearing so much about the relaxer turning your fingers or nails yellow.

congrats my ? is how can you make sure not overlapped already relaxed hair as much as possible?
tia

I don't have enough experience to answer that question, that's for sure. But that's one reason I gave up on using an app. brush and my fingers instead. It was easier to feel the demarciation line. Regardless, I think you are going to overlap everytime period. That's where not overprocessing would come in as a measure of protection. You figure the same area on the hair strand is going to get hit twice. The first time you relax and then the second time you touch up and hit that same area demarciation line. By the 3rd touch up it's grown enough that it should'nt get hit again but the demarciation line from the 2nd touch up will. Did that make any sense?:perplexed

thanks i havent been happy with my last touch up it seems like i need another one but ill wait awhile thanks for the tips im going to have to write them down
im 7 months preg and do not have patience or dollars to go to the salon for not that great results.
what is the silk amnio spray you use?

Last edited:
Congratulations for your baby & on your self-relaxing success. It's empowering to be able to do hair on your own. :grin:

Your first DIY relaxer!
A new baby is on the way...AND a Dyson!
Girl, God is GOOOOOOD!!
And kudos to you for taking time out for YOU. I know it's difficult to do when you have children.

Back