I did it!!!

MissJ

Okay, I've had struggles with my natural hair for God knows how long. I am style challenged. This year I decided to be a blowdry natural to keep my ends from tangling so much. I tried Pinkskates' tension blowdry method. It worked good for me at the top, but ends were still curly. I didn't know how to straighten my ends. I went to a ball a few weeks ago and paid someone to straighten my hair. Then I had law school pictures coming up last week, and I didn't want to have to pay the same person back to back, especially since she only has 2 inches of hair, and the only person I saw in her chair who had a decent amount of hair had a jheri curl.

Anyway, I took on the task of straightening my own hair. I washed after class and used an ORS replenishing pack mixed with coconut oil. Then I had a dinner with my fellow student prosecutors and teacher, so I left the plastic cap on and put on a headwrap. It must have done some good, because when I combed it out, it was like butter. Anyway, it took me 3 hours to blowdry it straight. I used a Denman brush to straighten, and I tell you I lost almost no hair. My hair came out pretty straight, too. I got up the next morning and straightened with my Maxiglide. By the time I got to school, I was ready for my close up. I sat in the chair to take my picture, and then this photographer came up to me, and put my hair over my shoulder. Then she asked if I wanted it that way. Well, when I looked in the mirror in the bathroom, I envisioned taking the pictures with my hair all back, so I told her to put it back. She did. I was wearing a black suit with black hair, don't know how that would have turned out anyway.

When I got home, I snapped this picture. I'm proud of myself. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd get my hair this straight and make it look decent. I'd like to thank my LHCF sisters, because I've been researching how to properly straighten my hair for a couple of years now. Normally, I'd blur my face, for fear of people that I see in court seeing me online, but today, I want y'all to see how happy I was with my result. Oh yeah, I forgot to add that I made it back to bra strap length, too.

Last edited:
It looks lovely - well done! :)

That's the great thing about this place. It gives you the confidence to try out and experiment new ideas that you never would have imagined previously! It's a continual learning experience!

SUSTAINED!!! You look amazing & I'm / we are so proud of you for getting it done. Great job counselor!

LOL @ "SUSTAINED"

MissJ you did it indeed! Your hair looks purrty, and very becoming of you. I object to you having so much hair. Your puffs look like they are related to Que's and then your presses show hair hanging way down. H8! :rolleyes:

Oh, thanks for the tip! I never thought to use a denman to straiten!:yep: Awesome job! I will try again this week end!:rolleyes: Doing this will keep me from relaxing.:ohwell: My 6 month post BC is on Friday. That will be the longest I've ever been natural.:yay: BTW, what type of blow dryer do you have?

Last edited:
You look fabulous honey! Congrats on the great straightening job, and style! I love your length!! One day I'm gonna be like you ;able to look down at my shoulders and see my hair lying there...:yep:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my GOD missj you look totally fantaSTIC your hair is sooooooooooooooooo on point Good JOB

its so beautiful it makes me wanna cry michael jackson would be so proud of you right now if he saw you
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

You look great, Miss J! I loved reading your story...thank you for sharing. I'm having a pretty awful day, and your post just made me smile.

Back