I did it BKT...What do yall think?

justnotsure

I did it BKT...What do yall think? (pics)

Ok so I decided to do the BKT because I am currently 11 weeks post. My last relaxer was on January 24, 2009. I would like to stretch for at least another 5 weeks (or indefinitely...thinking about taking the big leap). I used the Dream Hair and it has .02% formaldehyde. I did it at home and it came out great! Today is my wash day, so I will see how the texture is afterwards. Here are a few photos from my process...sorry I would have taken better ones if I could have...

The fist one is my hair washed with the neutralizing shampoo and about 80% dry.
Picture 257.jpg

The second one is just a texture shot of my new growth.
Picture 263.jpg

This is a picture of my hair while the BKT is being applied.
Picture 260.jpg

This is the flat ironing process. It was set to 450 degrees!
Picture 266.jpg

This is a picture of the finished product
Picture 267.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some other pictures of the finished hair. I'm going to attempt to post this video that shows the "swang" of my hair...Its a bad video, but you can see what I mean when I say "swang"!! :grin:

I couldn't get the video to post...sorry!

Attachments

• Picture 269.jpg
    Picture 269.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Picture 270.jpg
    Picture 270.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 227
Wow, beautiful! I'm going to do this also but I decided to do it in May. I just relaxed my hair and did not want to do it so soon after a relaxer (since I have minimal breakage right after a relaxer). I also ordered 2% formaldahyde.

Keep us posted with your progress before you relax again.

Very nice your hair looks so healthy!! Thank you for posting!

I want to see the results on some more fully natural 4a/b hair :yep:

Very nice your hair looks so healthy!! Thank you for posting!

I want to see the results on some more fully natural 4a/b hair :yep:

I'm thinking about doing it on my sister. She is 4b natural. I would use the 4% formaldahyde on her though.

Keen I also read some place that if you are applying it to a person who is all natural to let the neutralizing shampoo actually sit in their hair for about 15 minutes to help open the cuticle! HTH

Keen I also read some place that if you are applying it to a person who is all natural to let the neutralizing shampoo actually sit in their hair for about 15 minutes to help open the cuticle! HTH

Thanks! I have not read that. I read that the keratin treatment should sit there longer.

has anyone been able to order the bkt for less than $200? i know that it costs more than $200 to get it done in a salon, but i just can't bring myself to pay $200 for a bottle of product

I'm thinking about doing it on my sister. She is 4b natural. I would use the 4% formaldehyde on her though.

Please post pictures when you do!

I appreciate this information. This may be a good solution for a natural who works out a lot and sweats in her hair from a manageability stand point. I also like the fact that users say it helps with length retention...:yep:

Tonight is my first wash night...but I like it so much the way it is right now that I may just wait another day or two before washing it!!

has anyone been able to order the bkt for less than $200? i know that it costs more than $200 to get it done in a salon, but i just can't bring myself to pay $200 for a bottle of product

I have seen a few but I haven't seen many reviews. I know someone on here has used Softliss ($96 for and 8 oz. kit; that's 2-3 treatments). Bottanica is $39 for 4 oz or $130 for 10 oz. Those were the least expensive that I've found so far.

I actually went and had it done yesterday. It cost $160, and they used Marcia Teixeira, which I think you need to be a professional to buy. I'm happy with it so far, but I won't be posting pictures until my first shampoo. HTH.

Yeah from the research I did you have to shampoo your hair before with a clarifying shampoo to open the cuticles so that it receives the keratin better. For naturals you really want to do this a couple times as our hair (for the most part) isn't damaged so the cuticles lie flat. The clarifying shampoo opens the cuticles enough so that the keratin can do it's work and keep the hair straight for a few months while protecting the hair. This is a reponse to a question asked earlier in the thread.

I have seen a few but I haven't seen many reviews. I know someone on here has used Softliss ($96 for and 8 oz. kit; that's 2-3 treatments). Bottanica is $39 for 4 oz or $130 for 10 oz. Those were the least expensive that I've found so far.

I actually went and had it done yesterday. It cost $160, and they used Marcia Teixeira, which I think you need to be a professional to buy. I'm happy with it so far, but I won't be posting pictures until my first shampoo. HTH.

Oh ebay you can buy just one or two applications. Starting at around 38.00 dollars plus shipping. Just to see if anyone likes it. Just go to ebay and put in brazilian keratin.

However please look for the powersellers with at least 98 or more satisfaction level. That means they've been on ebay for a long time selling products and are not just fly by night. And as ever our research ladies at lhcf I know you'll be checking his/her feedback and reading the reviews of the product. I would before I order from anyone on ebay. Also make sure they have paypal to protect your payment. In addition I'd make sure personally they had 100 percent satisfaction rating. But that's just me personally. Definitely make sure it's in the high 90's. HTH

Last edited:
This product has 100 percent feedback

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brazilian-Kerat...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:131

And can be bought for $43 for instance, though they are not a power seller they have over 374 reviews of the bkt

This one sells theirs for $38.99 though it's only 2 ounce, good for probably mid length hair, but it gives a general idea of how much you need and they have almost 200 postitive feedbacks at 100%
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brazilian-Kerat...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318

And there are many others there too.

I'm totally on the bkt the next time I decide to wear my hair down. Right now I'm doing braids for a while but after it's so on!

$160 sound good. How long is your hair?

Yes, $160 sounds great! I have about shoulder length hair and the 3 ounces was the perfect amount for my hair, although on the video I watched, the girl's hair was between APL and BSL and she only used 3 ounces on her hair too...

luckiestdestiny; it was all the positive reviews here that made me decide to go for it. I don't want to use relaxers anymore, and I'm tired of having to be so super-protective of my ends. I don't mind taking care of my hair, I just want it to be a little easier.

$160 sound good. How long is your hair?

It's shoulder length with layers; I did get a bit cut off to even up the back (growing out those daggone layers!). It took about 2 hours, and I am very happy with the results so far.

MarieB I didn't know you got BKT done! How do you like it so far? I'm sitting here with the bottle on my coffee table and I keep putting off doing it because the entire process seems really time consuming. BTW I bought 2 oz off Ebay for 39 (shipping included), I can't review it yet though.

MarieB I didn't know you got BKT done! How do you like it so far? I'm sitting here with the bottle on my coffee table and I keep putting off doing it because the entire process seems really time consuming. BTW I bought 2 oz off Ebay for 39 (shipping included), I can't review it yet though.

You should go ahead and do it...it's totally worth it! My only advice would be to make sure that you go through your entire head lightly with the mixture...it does not have to be thick like a relaxer....and you don't want to run out half way thru...

It really didn't take that long...well I guess for me, the fact that I didn't have to sit under the dryer was a bonus!

Girl, go ahead and do it! The worst part for me was the drying before the flat-iron (she dried me under a hood dryer, and it did get a little rough for a few minutes). Also, I sweated in my sleep last night so I had to do a little flat-rioning this am, but it still looks great.

Justnotsure, your hair is beautiful! Just mahhhhvelous, Darling! Thank you for sharing.

I'm so excited to see so many women experimenting with BKT. I will be doing mine my next length check in July (if I can hold off that long! lol I'm white knuckling it!)

I can't wait to see my natural hair have swang!

Back