Votes: 18 9.7%
  • Paddle Brush

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaDragonPrincess

Ok ladies, which do you detangle with and why???

Wide Tooth Comb
shower2bcomb.jpg

Denman
denmanbrush1.jpg

Paddle Brush
3994l.jpg

Now I want to get yall's thoughts on using any of these to detangle your hair,what you use,which one is the best,and why???

I usually don't detangle my hair coz I just don't allow it to tangle in the first place. However in 2008, I did allow it to tangle out of laziness: went to bed with my hair loose and suffered the consequences the next day.

I voted "other" because I used my fingers. With conditioner applied to dry hair, I carefully stretched the strands and allowed my fingers to work the hairs out of tangles. With my fingers, I can FEEL what I'm doing and undo tangles the way you might undo a tangle in a string. I don't know how combs or brushes would help me, unless I just want to rip through the tangles. With fingers, I lose hardly any hair because I can work the tangles out gently and feel when I'm doing it wrong and making them tighter.

I usually don't detangle my hair coz I just don't allow it to tangle in the first place. However in 2008, I did allow it to tangle out of laziness: went to bed with my hair loose and suffered the consequences the next day.

I voted "other" because I used my fingers. With conditioner applied to dry hair, I carefully stretched the strands and allowed my fingers to work the hairs out of tangles. With my fingers, I can FEEL what I'm doing and undo tangles the way you might undo a tangle in a string. I don't know how combs or brushes would help me, unless I just want to rip through the tangles. With fingers, I lose hardly any hair because I can work the tangles out gently and feel when I'm doing it wrong and making them tighter.

I feel where your coming from, My hair is almost to waist length, and it seems the longer it gets ,,,the more tangles, I have use wide tooth comb and paddle brush, I want to try the denman, but may also try my fingers, because I worked too hard to get my hair where it is today to get setbacks, thats why I made this thread to see what everyone think...Thanks for sharing your story sweetie

My Aveda Paddle Brush is good for smoothing wet hair into ponytails, but for detangling my whole head, I use my wide tooth comb that has longer teeth than the one pictured. I'm relaxed, so my hair doesn't really tangle. I use these because they don't tear my hair. That Denman is too much for relaxed hair - I gave it to my sister, who is natural.

I own a Quidad double detangler but I only use it when stretching.

My Aveda Paddle Brush is good for smoothing wet hair into ponytails, but for detangling my whole head, I use my wide tooth comb that has longer teeth than the one pictured. I'm relaxed, so my hair doesn't really tangle. I use these because they don't tear my hair. That Denman is too much for relaxed hair - I gave it to my sister, who is natural.

I own a Quidad double detangler but I only use it when stretching.

Thanks for sharing, I'm relaxed also, most the reviews I seen on denman are from natural ladies, and I was wondering why I didn't see any relaxed ladies.

ummm I didn't vote... I use both..fingers and wide tooth comb. Wide tooth once a week....fingers any other time.

I voted wide tooth comb because it works best on my relaxed hair, even when there is a lot of new growth. I am afraid of the brushes, lol!

wide tooth comb....i use a fine tooth comb to smooth the hair if i'm roller setting....but otherwise, strictly wide tooth because it doesn't cause breakage...I'm relaxed.

I use my hands and 10 fingers. Why? They don't mess up my curl definition and they don't cause breakage.

Voted other because I use my fingers for the most part. Combs seem to piss my hair off and I don't want no drama.

I detangle my hair once a week with my beloved jilbere shower comb knock off by Goody. Why?
Because if I dont do it once a week my hair will be screwed for quite a long time due to all the tangles my curly hair gives me. When my hair gets longer I may have to incoporate a paddle brush aferwards. Wide toothed combs, because they are so wide, they dont grab all the shed hairs unfortunately, not in my head anyway. So if anyone has a reccommendation for a nice non-damaging paddle brush besides goody ouchless shine + therapy, tell me!:spinning:

Last edited:
I was just using my fingers and a wide tooth comb, but now that I have modified my denman, I think I will bring it into the mix too. I know that I wasn't removing all of the shed hairs, and they were wrapping around my strands causing knots. SO... denman, do your thang.

wide tooth comb for now. Since I'm transitioning, I don't have all the curls right now that would make it easier for me to use a Denman (although I have one). So, until then, I will use my comb.

I only need to detangle after I wash my hair, and I use my fingers first and then a wide tooth comb. I'm transitioning, is it weird that it's WAY easier to detangle my natural hair than the relaxed hair? My fingers and comb go through the curls like butter, but it takes forever to get the relaxed part unknotted if I want to detangle without breakage. :ohwell:

I detangle my hair with my fingers first them a wide tooth comb and then a smaller comb to make sure I have all shedded hairs.

I use 3 combs starting with a wide tooth , medium tooth working my way down to a fine tooth. It all depends on how many tangles (AKA how long I left my hair loose) I have to deal with.

After my cowashes my hair shrinks so much, so I have no choice but to use my modified denman which only has 3 rows in it just to get it into a slick bun plus the denman helps so much with frizz which I'm constantly combatting. But once my hair is dry I take out of the ponytail because the ponytail has helped stretch my hair out and then I detangle with my fingers. It's so much easier for me to detangle when my hair is dry versus wet because it's thin and fragile and more fragile in it's wet state. And if I do detangle when it's wet I make sure it's under running water because the flow of the water in the shower keeps my hair straight.

Not on the list - Vent brush, medium tooth comb - sometimes fine toothed comb as needed

There's no point in recommending the wide toothed comb for people with tightly coiled hair. This means you're just leaving tangles to accumulate over time.

Ouidad double detangler comb. It is very effective for detangling and it also helps detangle my hair quickly. I love it!

Back