• Denman

Votes: 18 9.7%
  • Paddle Brush

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I used this I would be bald. My hair is fine and if I tried this when its wet that would be the end of it. I use my fingers mainly when its wet and a denman knock off with loads of conditioner when its dry.

Actually I have very fine hair as well and this comb is really gentle and the teeth are softer and "give" more than the denman. Not that I'm getting anything endorsing this, but it really works on my fine hair.

Thanks sweetie, are you relaxed? I want a denman so bad, heres the one I want Denman - Our New Scented Classic Hairbrushes the strawberry one... but i'm relaxed :blush:

No, I'm natural but my hair is on the fine side. I didn't know they had scented brushes, that's interesting. I'm a wooded area and we have ants I wonder if it would attract ants lol

Go for it! :yep: Best thing I ever did for my detangling sessions. I have uber fine, healthy strands and my denman modified the way that Neith describes here is pure awesomeness on wash day.

I saw that thread before, I think after reading it I opened up my brush but put it right back on lol.... Thanks for the reference, I'm going to try it.

Voted 'other.' I use my fingers! Easy and fast because I'm not making sure every curl is combed out, but it gets the knots out. And it's way more gentle.

im natural and i detangle with a wide tooth shower comb. when im doing a really deep detangle once a week or once every two weeks i use a shower comb followed by my denman.

My Aveda Paddle Brush is good for smoothing wet hair into ponytails, but for detangling my whole head, I use my wide tooth comb that has longer teeth than the one pictured. I'm relaxed, so my hair doesn't really tangle. I use these because they don't tear my hair. That Denman is too much for relaxed hair - I gave it to my sister, who is natural.

I own a Quidad double detangler but I only use it when stretching.

This is my thought on the Denman brush (even after removing rows I knew it was too much for my hair). I gave mine to my sister as well, I'm about to purchase a hercules sagemann comb I really want to try seamless.

Last edited:
I use a wide tooth comb first. The teeth are thicker and wider than the one pictured in the OP. I have really thick hair and a comb is faster and easier for me in the shower. If I'm detangling out of the shower I use my hands and then a comb. I finger comb any stubborn knots.

I probably use my denman once a month. I detangle once a week more often if I'm doing WnGs.

I de-tangle my hair with my fingers & a wide tooth comb...Because i have combo hair & some parts the comb works best /other parts my fingers works best (like on the very ends) seems to tangle the most so my fingers works best....

Happy Hair Growing!

I use the Hercules Sagemann Rake. It is the widest (and biggest) wide tooth comb I have found to date. I love all their combs.

I don't allow my hair to tangle (I braid it every night with conditioner) but what works for me is using my fingers and then giving a final touch with a wide tooth comb. This works especially well for me while oil rinsing, the oil and water do the rest and I don't have to use a whole bottle of conditioner.

I couldn't imagine growing my thick hair without oil rinsing and braiding it at night, as infinite detangling sessions are not an option for me: I would end up cutting my hair. Although my hair is natural and thick, the denman brush is not for me, it gives me breakage.
Especially because the strands in my crown area are thinner and have always been more fragile.
Brushes give me less control, a wide tooth comb allows me to detangle without pulling and undoing my curls.

Last edited:
I use the Denman brush (9 rows), and/or the Quidad Comb, (a fabulous comb that is well worth the money and paid for itself many times over in saving me mega time and frustration), and/or Earth Therapeutics Wooden Pin Massage Brush. These tools work really well with my hair. My hair hates those brushes with the ball tips.

I detangle my hair once a week with my beloved jilbere shower comb knock off by Goody. Why?
Because if I dont do it once a week my hair will be screwed for quite a long time due to all the tangles my curly hair gives me. When my hair gets longer I may have to incoporate a paddle brush aferwards. Wide toothed combs, because they are so wide, they dont grab all the shed hairs unfortunately, not in my head anyway. So if anyone has a reccommendation for a nice non-damaging paddle brush besides goody ouchless shine + therapy, tell me!:spinning:

KnaughtyKurls: The Goody paddle brush actually works fine for me, but I also have a Hercules Sagemann paddle brush (model #9248) that works well too.

Regarding the original question, I'm natural & I use my fingers followed by the Hercules Sagemann paddle brush & a final comb-through with the Magic Star Jumbo Rake. I'd also like to say that I'm sorry I dismissed paddle brushes as a detangling option for so long. I lose significantly less hair than I used to when I was just using a comb & my fingers. If I knew how to post pictures from my phone, I'd show them to all of you. Although detangling will never be a joy for me, it is no longer hellish.

I voted wide tooth comb. I tried a Denman a couple of times in the past and nearly fell out about the amount of hair I lost. I am relaxed so that is probably why. Never again!!

I detangle first with a wide tooth comb (or the Ouidad Double Detangler) and then I detangle again with a modified denman, which really helps to remove the shed hairs.

I went through a period where I stopped using the Denman, and would do my 2nd detangle with a smaller tooth comb, but since i've learned how to remove a few rows in the denman, it's much better.

I use my fingers first.then a wide tooth shower comb. Then a modified denman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Back