I destroyed my hair last night!!!

Cleve_gryl

:whyme: When will I ever learn to stop all this experimenting?!? I thought I was hooking myself up, but what happened was a complete disaster!!!

I did my deep conditioning on dry hair. I mixed some Emergencia with a little Silicon mix but this time added about a tablespoon of Grapeseed oil. I warmed it up and applied it to my hair. I was on the phone for a while so that sat for about 2 hours. Not normally a problem. Washed with CON red shampoo then rinsed with some Humectress conditioner. When I got out of the shower I applied a tube of Fermodyl 619 and then a quarter sized amount of Lacio/Giovanni Direct leave in mix.

My hair was HARD HARD HARD and crunchy!! I almost cried trying to detangle it. I lost gobs of hair, and the rollerset was a nightmare.:nono: Hair was everywhere. I used so many yummy products that normally make my hair melt. The only two new things to the equation were the grapeseed oil to the conditioner and the Fermodyl at the end. What happened?!?

:whyme: When will I ever learn to stop all this experimenting?!? I thought I was hooking myself up, but what happened was a complete disaster!!!

I did my deep conditioning on dry hair. I mixed some Emergencia with a little Silicon mix but this time added about a tablespoon of Grapeseed oil. I warmed it up and applied it to my hair. I was on the phone for a while so that sat for about 2 hours. Not normally a problem. Washed with CON red shampoo then rinsed with some Humectress conditioner. When I got out of the shower I applied a tube of Fermodyl 619 and then a quarter sized amount of Lacio/Giovanni Direct leave in mix.

My hair was HARD HARD HARD and crunchy!! I almost cried trying to detangle it. I lost gobs of hair, and the rollerset was a nightmare.:nono: Hair was everywhere. I used so many yummy products that normally make my hair melt. The only two new things to the equation were the grapeseed oil to the conditioner and the Fermodyl at the end. What happened?!?

Maybe it was a combo of too much protien and too much build up?

Hi Cleve_gryl!

I try to only add one new "thing" to my regimen at a time so that I can check its effectiveness.

Did you do a patch test with the grapessed oil? Some oils (such as tea tree) can be very drying. Is Fermodyl 619 a protein treatment?

This combo may have been just too much at one time.

I'm sure your hair will bounce back! :yep: Try a conditioner wash and deep conditioning.

Good luck, Curli

I don't know what happened, but what I've learned after my own hair disaster experiences with new products is to stop STOP STOP! As soon as you notice that your hair feels dry, weird, crunchy, hard...just STOP! Go back and shampoo it again, condition it again and then rinse thoroughly. DO not go forward with styling until you get it right. :yep:

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I think we should both promise to stop and go back next time for the sake of our tresses.

Emergenica has protein. Silicon mix has protein. I think Lacio Lacio and Giovanni both have protein. If you use this combination all the time, last night just might have just been the straw that broke the camel's back. It may have had nothing to do with the fermodyl or grapeseed oil. Those are just about the only two besides humectress that didn't have protein. Sounds like classic protein overload. :yep:

Last edited:

I think it may have been the Fermodyl that did it. You pretty much did everything else as you would normally do. Grapeseed oil is supposed to be good for the hair. I know that the Fermodyl 619 made my hair hard and crunchy too. ((((((HUGS))))) It'll be ok!

I don't know what happened, but what I've learned after my own hair disaster experiences with new products is to stop STOP STOP! As soon as you notice that your hair feels dry, weird, crunchy, hard...just STOP! Go back and shampoo it again, condition it again and then rinse thoroughly. DO not go forward with styling until you get it right. :yep:

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I think we should both promise to stop and go back next time for the sake of our tresses.

That is SUCH A GOOD TIP!!! There have been times when my hair hasn't felt right on the final rinse and I just push forward anyway. It certainly is worth the extra time effort...no matter how grueling it may be. I will keep this in mind from now on.

To the OP: I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope it turns around at that there wasn't too much damage done.

So sorry to hear.

Why didn't you just jump back into the shower and wash it out with your CON? I think that would have soften it back up? I always do that if I see that my hair does not feel soft after washing with or trying something new.

I see you suggested that same thing! I find this to be really helpful!

OMG!!! That would have made too much sense for me to get back in the shower and start over!!! :look: I've used oil in conditioners before but usually its EVOO or Jojoba. The Fermodyl was what I don't normally use...The kicker is my hair feels okay now. I applied some ORS olive oil (in jar) wrapped it and went to bed. I had a few broken pieces in the sink this morning when I combed it.

Emergenica has protein. Silicon mix has protein. I think Lacio Lacio and Giovanni both have protein. If you use this combination all the time, last night just might have just been the straw that broke the camel's back. It may have had nothing to do with the fermodyl or grapeseed oil. Those are just about the only two besides humectress that didn't have protein. Sounds like classic protein overload. :yep:

That's right, Lacio Lacio has silk protien and Giovanni has a little soybean protein. That was a protein rich wash. I learned the hard way if I OD on protein my hair tangles and I lose hair while while washing and detangling.

OP: Do you have WRTC on Kenra MC? Maybe a co-wash with a moisturizing coniditoner like these will get you back on track.

Grapeseed Oil is an astingent so I wouldn't use it too much..... I've used it as a body oil

I don't think Fermodyl 619 likes the Giovanni or the Lacio. Other's may have different experiences, but for me they all HATED each other. Too sticky or something.

I have never used Giovanni and Lacio together, but I have used them alone with the Fermodyl - not pretty.

YES YES YES!!
I will not force a comb through my hair. If it takes me all night I will go back and wash that mess out, or at least rinse it

Co-signing :yep:

I had something like that happen a couple of years ago. I got carried away and put too many products in. Something chewed my ends up. I could not figure out which product was the culprit. I would suggest that you shampoo with a good clarifying shampoo to strip as much of these products out of your hair as soon as possible then follow up with the best moisturizing hydrating conditioner you have followed lots of moisturizing sprays and lotions.

Wait two days then repeat the process. Do it as soon as you can to minimize any permanent damage. Hopefully it will begin to soften. Hope this helps because it appears that you have really nice hair.

Last edited:
I don't think Fermodyl 619 likes the Giovanni or the Lacio. Other's may have different experiences, but for me they all HATED each other. Too sticky or something.

I have never used Giovanni and Lacio together, but I have used them alone with the Fermodyl - not pretty.

HoneyDew, what is your normal leave in when using 619? I have another tube of the Extra Strength left and I'm SCARED to death to use it now.

I had something like that happen a couple of years ago. I got carried away and put too many products in. Somethig chewed my ends up. I could not figure out which product was the culprit. I would suggest that you shampoo with a good clarifying shampoo to strip as much of these products out of your hair as possible then follow up with the best moisturizing hydrating conditioner you have followed lots of moisturizing sprays and lotions.

Wait two days then repeat the process. Do it as soon as you can to minimize any permanent damage. Hopefully it will begin to soften. Hope this help because it appears that you have really nice hair.

I was thinking that I'd better clarify real soon, but my next wash isn't until Saturday...I'm afraid of too much manipulation right now since I combed out half my hair last night :ohwell:. I might have to wash it tomorrow, I'm afraid I did overdose on protein now.

Wow, you also used Humectress which although is labeled a moisturizing conditioner, it has keratin amino acids. Defintely moisturize and baby your hair.

HoneyDew, what is your normal leave in when using 619? I have another tube of the Extra Strength left and I'm SCARED to death to use it now.

I would be scared too. I have had this happen with new stuff and now I find it hard to try ANYTHING new.

But, I use Qhemet's Olive Cream Detangler. I use it AFTER applying the fermodyl. Then I use serum if before it airdries.

Keep in mind that the extra strength does have protein in it.

I was thinking that I'd better clarify real soon, but my next wash isn't until Saturday...I'm afraid of too much manipulation right now since I combed out half my hair last night :ohwell:. I might have to wash it tomorrow, I'm afraid I did overdose on protein now.

Oops sorry about those big letters. I couldn't see them.

I certainly understand how you feel. I had to wash mine because I could not comb it. I had a mess going on. Buckwheat didn't have nothing on me. :grin:

You might also want to consider getting some Porosity control shampoo and conditioner to correct the porosity and the cuticle layers. That is what helped mine the most.

Oops sorry about those big letters. I couldn't see them.

I certainly understand how you feel. I had to wash mine because I could not comb it. I had a mess going on. Buckwheat didn't have nothing on me. :grin:

You might also want to consider getting some Porosity control shampoo and conditioner to correct the porosity and the cuticle layers. That is what helped mine the most.

I was thinking about the PC, especially since its on sale at Sally's right now! Do you still need to use a moisturizing DC when using PC conditioner?

So sorry you had to experience that!! Clarifying sounds like the best thing to do to rid your hair of all the products then use a deep moisturizing conditioner. I learned the hard way too a few weeks back when I used MOTIONS CPR as a deep conditioner. I rubbed my hair and came away with many strands of hair. I could not figure it out as I had changed my sulfur mix oil, had pre-pooed with coconut oil. . I figured out the problem this week after using CPR in the jar again minus the other things used last time...immediate strands in my hands.I was so angry with myself. I quickly clarified then used the DEITY OF AMERICA CONDITIONER. I was lucky too as I dropped the CPR and the container cracked...good thing..I probably would have forgotten and used it again in the future. My hair hated that particular protein product.

I was thinking about the PC, especially since its on sale at Sally's right now! Do you still need to use a moisturizing DC when using PC conditioner?

I'm so glad to know Sally's has a sale. I'm going to rack up tomorrow.

Yes you can use both.

Some people use the PC shampoo first in to prepare the hair to absorb the moisturizing conditioner, After the moisturizing conditioner, then u can follow-up with the PC conditioner.

After that if you have a good moisturizing leave in, you can use that along with a good lotion or moisturizing protective serum or both.

You might also try Lusters S-Curl mixed with a little water with a bun for a while for added moisture.

Moisture is the key, so that you will not lose any more of your locks.

Yours may not be as bad as mine was. It took two years to recover from my damage..

So sorry you had to experience that!! Clarifying sounds like the best thing to do to rid your hair of all the products then use a deep moisturizing conditioner. I learned the hard way too a few weeks back when I used MOTIONS CPR as a deep conditioner. I rubbed my hair and came away with many strands of hair. I could not figure it out as I had changed my sulfur mix oil, had pre-pooed with coconut oil. . I figured out the problem this week after using CPR in the jar again minus the other things used last time...immediate strands in my hands.I was so angry with myself. I quickly clarified then used the DEITY OF AMERICA CONDITIONER. I was lucky too as I dropped the CPR and the container cracked...good thing..I probably would have forgotten and used it again in the future. My hair hated that particular protein product.

I had the same experiance with the Motions CPR. My hair felt like straw. I was confused because some women say they used it am had good results. Good thing that old container cracked cause that stuff is dangerous. :lachen: I'll never go near it again. :nono:

Last edited:
Girl, same thing happened to me. Now I have to figure out how I am going to make a positive spin on this line for my blog. I lost so much hair trying to wash this mess out of my head. Strangely enough, it worked perfect on my roommate's hair! Such is life girl. My ends are jacked, but i'm going to nurse it back to health and so will you. Check out the blog tho.

Last edited:
Years ago I used a tube of Fermodyl, not sure which number, and it tore my hair up. I was relaxed back then. I have never used it since then, that's why I have always been surprised by how many like it here. Personally I would stay away from that and the Grapeseed oil, there are too many wonderful oils and conditioners out there to take the risk.

I just wanted to say THANKS ladies!! Yall saved my hair. I just did some damage control and me and my hair are friends again :kiss:

I clarified first, then washed with PC poo. I applied MMP as my dc and sat under the dryer for 20 minutes. When I rinsed, I could already tell a huge difference. I then used the PC conditioner while I finished my shower. Rinsed, applied my leave in and detangled. I always shed, but this wash was the first time I shed HALF the amount of hair as normal for me. I feel much better already :yep:

Back