I dealt w/ my natural hair for the first time w/o heat & feeling insecure.PICS.

Mz.Shug

Last night I did my first Cassia treatment. I mixed a tsp. of Amla powder,I don't know how much EVOO:grin: and water to make a paste. While that sat I washed my hair with poo and while still a bit damp applied the Cassia. Boy was it messy but I managed. I sat for 2hrs w/o heat. My 4yr old said i was a frog my husband came home,looked confused for a moment:blush:, and then asked "Baby why do you have mud on your hair?" to which I replied it's an LHCF thang you wouldn't understand.:grin:

Rinsed in the shower for 15 min.(I wanted to make sure it was ALL OUT) boy was my hair ...um....not hard but uh...strong....almost straw like..but not in a bad way.:yep: I don't know if i was suppose to or not but I didn't use shampoo to rinse it out.I DCed with Nexxus Humectress for about an hour (next time I'll over night it)and rinsed & detangled with fingers for another 10min. Normally I loose alot of hair but there was none and there was none when I tried the twist and curl.

I must admit I grabbed my blowdryer and heat protectant ready to blow out b4 setting my hair but my goal board on the mirror reminded me that I wanted to learn to work with my hair without unnecessary aides...ie heat.:wallbash: So I moisturized and set my hair, put on my silk scarf and called it a night. This morning I took down my hair and I'm pulling apart and fluffing. I'm not sure how I feel. I have NEVER worn a natural hairstyle.And if you don't already know to everyone in my family except my husband, natural hair is not the norm and gets made fun of.So sisters I ask you how does my hair look? What should I or could I do differently when trying this style next time. I know it may sound horrible but I'm too nervous to go out in public w/ natural hair for the first time...

Attachments

• Snapshot_20091210_2.jpg
    Snapshot_20091210_2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Snapshot_20091211.jpg
    Snapshot_20091211.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 250
  • Snapshot_20091211_2.jpg
    Snapshot_20091211_2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Snapshot_20091211_3.jpg
    Snapshot_20091211_3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 357
I think you and your hair look beautiful!

I love your curly fro, it is very becoming on you. I have not mastered the twist and curl technique at all so I have tips on what you could do differently. But I think you did a good job :yep:.

Give it time, baby steps

I've never been comfortable with 'out' natural styles except in my house, give yourself time to find what you are going to feel comfortable with......no pressure

btw it looks adorable

First let me say congratulations on overcoming a fear. Takes a lot of courage to so something that your not totally comfortable with. I applaud you for that.

I don't have experience with the powders/oil so i can't speak on that but I would add that if you shampoo then maybe you could have stuck that somewhere in the regi.

On the style part, that's where I can lend a hand. You said that you moisturized. Do you mean after the DC? Did you use a Leave in Conditoner? If not I would suggest doing that and sealing with an oil (EVVO, Cocunut Oil which is very moisturizing, Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, etc.). I actually 'set' my hair with a little lekhair cholesterol, jane carter foam lotion (excellent for twist outs) and litle eco styler gel (olive oil). I twist my hair (two twist) going back in about 6 twists and roll the ends with flexi rollers.

In the morning I rub oil on the twists as well as a little garnier anti frizz serum on the ends before I take them out. My hair comes out looking like my siggy. I think adding the foaming lotion and or gel will give you a more defined twist set/curl if that is what your looking for. Otherwise I think you did a good job for never wearing your natural texture out.

By the way, my twist set last about a week.

Last night I did my first Cassia treatment. I mixed a tsp. of Amla powder,I don't know how much EVOO:grin: and water to make a paste. While that sat I washed my hair with poo and while still a bit damp applied the Cassia. Boy was it messy but I managed. I sat for 2hrs w/o heat. My 4yr old said i was a frog my husband came home,looked confused for a moment:blush:, and then asked "Baby why do you have mud on your hair?" to which I replied it's an LHCF thang you wouldn't understand.:grin:

Rinsed in the shower for 15 min.(I wanted to make sure it was ALL OUT) boy was my hair ...um....not hard but uh...strong....almost straw like..but not in a bad way.:yep: I don't know if i was suppose to or not but I didn't use shampoo to rinse it out.I DCed with Nexxus Humectress for about an hour (next time I'll over night it)and rinsed & detangled with fingers for another 10min. Normally I loose alot of hair but there was none and there was none when I tried the twist and curl.

I must admit I grabbed my blowdryer and heat protectant ready to blow out b4 setting my hair but my goal board on the mirror reminded me that I wanted to learn to work with my hair without unnecessary aides...ie heat.:wallbash: So I moisturized and set my hair, put on my silk scarf and called it a night. This morning I took down my hair and I'm pulling apart and fluffing. I'm not sure how I feel. I have NEVER worn a natural hairstyle.And if you don't already know to everyone in my family except my husband, natural hair is not the norm and gets made fun of.So sisters I ask you how does my hair look? What should I or could I do differently when trying this style next time. I know it may sound horrible but I'm too nervous to go out in public w/ natural hair for the first time...

hey ms shug. congrats on skipping on the heat! it looks healthy, & continuing to skip on the heat will only improve your hair health :yep:

question though. you mentioned this is your first natural style. are you still transitioning, or is that your natural hair texture?

i'd suggest a bantu knot set, or a pincurl set, to really help set the ends into a uniform style. both can be done without heat, & i used to do them on damp hair at night, go to sleep, & wake up in the morning with a perfect set.

I felt the same when I first started doing styles without heat. It is a normal feeling for most of us. Your hair looks fine. In time you will began to feel completely okay about it.

Just another one of those mental mind shifts that needs to be made about being natural and wearing natural hair styles. :yep:

Last edited:
I think its cute!! but I would see how you could feel a little bit uncomfortable because a curly fro can seem a little funky and exotic and first. I would suggest doing flat twist next time that will give you a little more tame style till you feel a lilttle more comfortable in your own skin (or hair I should say).

The mental transition takes as long if not longer than the physical transition your hair undergoes.

Im sure your hair will thank you for your heatless style so keep at it!

I think it looks beautiful gorgeous and fits you to the tee. Avoid negativity from others and always remind yourself that god made no mistakes when he created you:yep:

First let me say congratulations on overcoming a fear. Takes a lot of courage to so something that your not totally comfortable with. I applaud you for that.

I don't have experience with the powders/oil so i can't speak on that but I would add that if you shampoo then maybe you could have stuck that somewhere in the regi.

On the style part, that's where I can lend a hand. You said that you moisturized. Do you mean after the DC? Did you use a Leave in Conditoner? If not I would suggest doing that and sealing with an oil (EVVO, Cocunut Oil which is very moisturizing, Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, etc.). I actually 'set' my hair with a little lekhair cholesterol, jane carter foam lotion (excellent for twist outs) and litle eco styler gel (olive oil). I twist my hair (two twist) going back in about 6 twists and roll the ends with flexi rollers.

In the morning I rub oil on the twists as well as a little garnier anti frizz serum on the ends before I take them out. My hair comes out looking like my siggy. I think adding the foaming lotion and or gel will give you a more defined twist set/curl if that is what your looking for. Otherwise I think you did a good job for never wearing your natural texture out.

By the way, my twist set last about a week.

Your tips are very helpful! Thank you for the product info I'll have to put them on my Christmas list!

hey ms shug. congrats on skipping on the heat! it looks healthy, & continuing to skip on the heat will only improve your hair health :yep:

question though. you mentioned this is your first natural style. are you still transitioning, or is that your natural hair texture?

i'd suggest a bantu knot set, or a pincurl set, to really help set the ends into a uniform style. both can be done without heat, & i used to do them on damp hair at night, go to sleep, & wake up in the morning with a perfect set.

Funny you should say that last night I was about to try the bantu knots and decided on this style at the last min. Yes still transitioning.I've been trimming away relaxed ends since May.

If I had the patience to do that to my hair I'd rock it but I'll just get a wig instead lol

Give it a try the style itself only took 10min.:yep:

I felt the same when when I first started doing styles without heat. It is a normal feeling for most of us. You hair looks fine. In time you will began to feel completely okay about it.

Just another one of those mental mind shifts that needs to be made about being natural and wearing natural hair styles. :yep:

I think its cute!! but I would see how you could feel a little bit uncomfortable because a curly fro can seem a little funky and exotic and first. I would suggest doing flat twist next time that will give you a little more tame style till you feel a lilttle more comfortable in your own skin (or hair I should say).

The mental transition takes as long if not longer than the physical transition your hair undergoes.

Im sure your hair will thank you for your heatless style so keep at it!

That was very comforting. A mental shift indeed.I never gave thought to mental aspects of transitioning.Thank you ladies.

Congrats on your first nonheat style. I think it looks good on you. When I was transitioning I would do a lot of braid outs to get used to the texture and could still put it in buns and ponies. Lots of good tips in here.

It's all about the "tude." It looks cute though--now off to try and upload a pic of my own.

I love it! Your hair is thriving and that style is very becoming on you. You should celebrate!!! I can't wait to rock my all natural tresses.

I know exactly how you feel (we have extremely similar textures) and I just started wearing my hair naturally. I was so scared at first like somebody was going to stop me and say "Don't do that-it looks horrible". But really it was only me. My sister now always give me the look like, "Oh, you're wearing you hair naturally again?:ohwell:. But you know what, I took something from that Lil Wayne show (Behind the Music) and I told her, "I don't care if there is heroin in my hair, it's my hair!"
I have grown up with people telling me my hair wasn't good enough and only looked cute if it is straightened. At 31 years old, I'm done. I have seen too many naturally pretty heads on here to be trippin. So you rock your beautiful natural style because it does look cute and play around a little. I now do flat twists, then put it in a bun and keep a couple of curls out in the front and love it!

Back