I Can't Take Lye

leona2025

I've noticed that a lot of ladies with beautiful hair use lye relaxers. So for my last 3 touch ups I have tried to use lye. I think it is just too strong. I am using ORS regular. I burn every time. I never burned with no lye. I can only keep the relaxer on at the most for 2 minutes before I have to wash it out. I have chemical burns all over. I think I need to switch back to no lye.

It's too strong for my hair too. I lose too much hair when using lye, and it still doesn't get straight. I switched back to no lye months ago.

When I used to go to the salon, the stylist would use lye relaxers. I would base my scalp and he would base it and I still would burn. :couchfire::burning::burning:It just doesn't matter with lye relaxers for me. I am going to burn and you have to leave it on for along time for it to process. I only stick to no lye relaxers now. Traycee and Sylver2 if I am not mistaken use no lye relaxers as well. Their hair is ridiculously beautiful.

Yep I relaxed with LYE for the first time two weeks ago, and my hair is very underprocessed, I'm gonna try it again but this time without adding Olive Oil to the relaxer, I also bought the coarse one for my nxt relaxer.

Even though NO LYE rlaxers don't burn my scalp as quickly LYE I switched because the NO LYE kept making my hair over processed and so every time it would get to SL i'd wanna cut the ends off because they would look stringy. So even though my hair is underprocessed with LYE I think it will benefit me in the long run. The downside is I haven't really been able to appreciate the length I gained from my last relaxer because of all the shrinkage that came back once I washed my hair, but I do like the fact that my hair doesn't look as dull with LYE.

Lye will tear up my scalp :burning:
I use to use it years ago on this board b/c it's supposed to be 'better'.. the only thing I really liked about a lye relaxer is that it's great for leaving some texture/curl/wave pattern in your hair. However, I have still yet to find one that doesn't leave my scalp like :burning:

I know I use to use ORS lye - burned up my scalp
Mizani butter blends - burned my scalp
Affirm severely underprocessed me
Elucence burned my scalp and left me too underprocessed
I'm sure I've used others too, but I just distinctly remember having to run to the wash bowl after having the lye relaxer applied to my hair. I also use to base my scalp heavily w/ castor oil and I'd still burn.

Now I've been gone back to using no-lye and my scalp is a happy camper and my hair is relaxed nice and straight :yep:. If I ever wanted to go back to textlaxing maybe I'd look into lye again, or i'd prob just continue to use no-lye and wash out the relaxer quickly. Damn, just writing this brought flash backs of having to rush to wash out the relaxer ! I really don't think I should ever go back to lye. If I want to textlax, I need to leave on my no-lye for lesser time and maybe dilute it w/ conditioner.

When you guys switch up do you just apply it your new growth? Is it healthy for your hair to have patches of hair relaxed with lye and patches relaxed with no lye? I ask because when I switched from no lye to lye the stylist did a corrective application which means she coated all of my hair with the lye and my hair came out soooo beautiful. It was strong and thick, I seemingly lost no hair in the process. It actually looked and felt thicker and heavier.

At one point in my hair journey though I self-laxed with a no-lye relaxer, doing my best to just apply to the new growth and I don't know if it was related to that or not but I experienced some strange breakage points in my hair. I returned back to lye ever since.

You've got to do what works for you. Yes lye works very well for a lot of ladies on here but if it's wrong for you, you have to stick to what suits you. I tried lye once and only once and that was enough, I went straight back to the no lye.

Yes, I tried lye (MBB) and it did not go well at all. I will be using no lye (Phyto II) from now on.

The reason why I attempted to switch was 1) I saw the wonderful results on some relaxed heads and 2) MBB was less expensive.

Lesson learned. Stick with what works!

Yes, I tried lye (MBB) and it did not go well at all. I will be using no lye (Phyto II) from now on.

The reason why I attempted to switch was 1) I saw the wonderful results on some relaxed heads and 2) MBB was less expensive.

Lesson learned. Stick with what works!

I was tempted by those very same reasons, but I have not used a lye relaxer since high school. Lye relaxers always burn my scalp shortly after the stylist began the application. I can count on one hand the number of times in 20 years that a no lye relaxer has burned me. No lye works for me and I do not have an issue with dryness or calcium build up either.

I was tempted by those very same reasons, but I have not used a lye relaxer since high school. Lye relaxers always burn my scalp shortly after the stylist began the application. I can count on one hand the number of times in 20 years that a no lye relaxer has burned me. No lye works for me and I do not have an issue with dryness or calcium build up either.

OT - Americka, your hair looks fabulous in your avatar! I just had to put that out there ...

Don't Laugh: But I base for 2 days leading up to Lye Application.:look:

I use MBB Lye Regular and it doesn't burn at all.

But I am based within the inch of my Life:lachen: (I have both sensitive skin and a sensitive scalp, so it's all precautionary).

My Hair is healthier with Lye as opposed to No-Lye. So, I'm sticking with Lye.

I like the results and my Hair is improving wonderfully.:grin:

As alot of the women said, in the Long Run you gotta do what works for you! Regardless.:look:

OT - Americka, your hair looks fabulous in your avatar! I just had to put that out there ...

Thanks, Taz! It has come a long way from the first day I lurked here. I keep telling my hair that I want it to look like yours when it grows up! That thickness of yours is the business!

LMAO, I did that too! I used vaseline for 2 days before relaxing and then had the stylist base me again.

I got burns once and it was not fun so I learned to do this before getting a fresh relaxer and I didn't have any problems.

I never even knew there were no lye options.

Don't Laugh: But I base for 2 days leading up to Lye Application.:look:

I use MBB Lye Regular and it doesn't burn at all.

But I am based within the inch of my Life:lachen: (I have both sensitive skin and a sensitive scalp, so it's all precautionary).

My Hair is healthier with Lye as opposed to No-Lye. So, I'm sticking with Lye.

I like the results and my Hair is improving wonderfully.:grin:

As alot of the women said, in the Long Run you gotta do what works for you! Regardless.:look:

I just got a couple of Sprushes. I hope that helps with the relaxing process. I underprocessed a couple of weeks ago because I got lazy with my basing. No burns though.

I just got a couple of Sprushes. I hope that helps with the relaxing process. I underprocessed a couple of weeks ago because I got lazy with my basing. No burns though.

When I say you will Love this Tool.....:drool:

You Will Love :love2:Love :love2:Love :love2:this Tool!

Did I mention how much you'll love this Tool???:giggle:

I ended up going back to no-lye. I didn't really like the results I got with the lye relaxers. Things were going fine with no-lye, so I guess don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Bumping my question...

When you guys switch up do you just apply it your new growth? Is it healthy for your hair to have patches of hair relaxed with lye and patches relaxed with no lye? I ask because when I switched from no lye to lye the stylist did a corrective application which means she coated all of my hair with the lye and my hair came out soooo beautiful. It was strong and thick, I seemingly lost no hair in the process. It actually looked and felt thicker and heavier.

At one point in my hair journey though I self-laxed with a no-lye relaxer, doing my best to just apply to the new growth and I don't know if it was related to that or not but I experienced some strange breakage points in my hair. I returned back to lye ever since.

Thanks for all the responses. The no-lye worked really well for me. The reason I switched to lye was because it was cheaper and a lot of ladies were using them with great result. I wanted thick shiny hair. My hair is in great condition now and its very shiny, but I can't say if it's the lye relaxer. I'm using a lot of different products now than I did with the no-lye including BKT. I have never had any problems with no lye.

No. You don't have to put relaxer all through your hair just because you switch from lye to no lye. What your stylist did was unnacessary and possibly damaging IMO.

No. You don't have to put relaxer all through your hair just because you switch from lye to no lye. What your stylist did was unnacessary and possibly damaging IMO.

Thanks for answering!

@ the bolded, she told me coating all my no-lye strands with the lye would get rid of the calcium build-up. My hair actually felt the healthiest it had and has ever been in my life after that process. It was silky, shiny, thick, and strong for the weeks following. But when I was due for my next touch-up she did it again, now THAT was unnecessary and damaging but I prevented it from being a setback with some emergency at home treatments right after.

I plan on doing my own touch-ups here on out to become a full-fledged DIY. Since I've experienced the longest lengths in my life while using lye, I can't see myself going back to no-lye.

I've tried using a lye relaxer (silk elements w/ olive oil) and it just didn't do it for me! 1. My scalp always burned regardless of how well I based my scalp. 2. My hair would be completely underprocessed and just A TRASH!

Before I tried using lye relaxers, I used Gentle Treatment (have you all heard of it?) best creamy crack ever..... :)

I've tried us
ing a lye relaxer (silk elements w/ olive oil) and it just didn't do it for me! 1. My scalp always burned regardless of how well I based my scalp. 2. My hair would be completely underprocessed and just A TRASH!

Before I tried using lye relaxers, I used Gentle Treatment (have you all heard of it?) best creamy crack ever..... :)

Funny you should mention that relaxer. That was the first one I ever used. I used it for about 8 years. I loved it. I stopped using it because it stopped straightening my hair. I actually like ORS no lye.

I love lye better than no lye. It so much easier on my hair. As for my scalp they are about the same but I use mild/fine.

Thanks for answering!

@ the bolded, she told me coating all my no-lye strands with the lye would get rid of the calcium build-up. My hair actually felt the healthiest it had and has ever been in my life after that process. It was silky, shiny, thick, and strong for the weeks following. But when I was due for my next touch-up she did it again, now THAT was unnecessary and damaging but I prevented it from being a setback with some emergency at home treatments right after.

I plan on doing my own touch-ups here on out to become a full-fledged DIY. Since I've experienced the longest lengths in my life while using lye, I can't see myself going back to no-lye.

I agree with Cherry. She shouldn't have coated your hair with lye. The breakage occurs because of calcium build up. Using a good chelating/neutralizing shampoo prevents that

Funny you should mention that relaxer. That was the first one I ever used. I used it for about 8 years. I loved it. I stopped using it because it stopped straightening my hair. I actually like ORS no lye.

Really? It stopped straightening your hair? im scared to try new relaxers after my incident with lye relaxers but I might try ORS no-lye.

Thanks for answering!

i use to switch back and forth all the time until i settled on no lye. new growth only. lye burns off my scalp and didn't get me bone straight..
what emergency home treatments did u do?

Back