I can't believe this, a year's worth of retention GONE!!!

ScorpioBeauty09

I got my hair braided for vacation. It was cornrows with synthetic hair. My braider did a good job but trimmed the braids and ended up trimming the portion with my real hair!!! By the time I realized it, it was already done. I just didn't think it was a lot. I just got back, took my braids down, washed, blow dried, had it straightened to find more was cut off than I realized. I used to be BSB in the back, I'm barely APL now. I'm really upset about this because I was hoping to have made some progress and now it's going to take me longer to make BSL.:nono: The worst thing is, once I made a firm commitment to growing my hair long, it took me almost a year to go from SL-APL to APL-BSB and now much of my progress is gone. I'm tempted to say something but she's the girlfriend of my usual stylist. I probably won't since it will be a full year before I get my hair braided again it's just a pain because I feel like my hard work got wasted.

I am so sorry this happened to you. This is why I'm so afraid of going to any stylist but the one I have now! She's been doing my hair since I was 9 or 10 and I trust her totally. Its expensive but worth it.

Aww, sorry that happened! If you get your hair braided again, make sure the stylist knows where your hair ends and instruct him/her to cut well below that point.

Same thing happened to me, but it was me and DH that accidentally snipped a bit of my hair. He helped me to take down my crochet braids. I am not sure how bad it is yet, since I am not flat ironing until January 2012. Maybe by then I won't notice as much?

Thanks everyone. Just to add, the person who was braided my hair was not my usual stylist who I have to practically beg to trim my ends. Luckily, it's Indian Summer where I am and this time last year I retained a lot in a short period of time, so hopefully I can get back to where I was soon. It's just infuriating.

That happened to me as a teen. My then boyfriend was "helping" me take out some box braids. Instead of snipping right above the burned end he was cutting half way up the braid in the back and lopped off half my hair. I was pissed, but that's what I got for asking a dude to help me.

In your case I would say something to her. That's messed up. Honestly scissor happy stylists stunt the progress towards longer hair.

Sorry to hear that! This has happened to the best of us, I've seen tales of ppl cutting their OWN hair by mistake, mothers, sisters and friends - let alone stylists. I don't know if that provides any comfort...but at least you aren't alone! Also, its taking be about the same amount of time for me to reach the lengths you mentioned, so you aren't alone there either! :bighug:

Sorry to hear that! This has happened to the best of us, I've seen tales of ppl cutting their OWN hair by mistake, mothers, sisters and friends - let alone stylists. I don't know if that provides any comfort...but at least you aren't alone! Also, its taking be about the same amount of time for me to reach the lengths you mentioned, so you aren't alone there either! :bighug:
Extra-thanks!!! I have to remind myself many people have setbacks. I'm certainly not the first and I'm not alone. My mom also says everything happens for a reason and I could still make my goals for this year. Truth be told I did need a trim so the silver lining is at least my ends are in great shape now. :ohwell::look:

Thanks to everyone else who responded.:grin: Much appreciated.

I know how you feel and I'm very sorry.
When I went natural I decided to cut my own hair because of that, and I ended up making the same mistake, and now that I have length I have a protein overload because of a stupid avocado LOL.
You will still get to the length you want, pamper yourself with oil and conditioner and remember that this is the last time ever and you will not have to go through the same process again. Ever.
Happy hair growing from now on!

Sorry this happened OP....this is exactly why my mother won't let me take down her weave. My sisters said why don't you ask the one who is crazy about hair to do it?

I am so sorry that this happened to you. The same thing happened to my sister a couple of weeks ago:nono:

That's terrible! I'm sorry. I don't let any stylists near me with scissors at all. I haven't had a trim in ages because I'm too worried about them destroying my hard work.

Back