I cannot take it anymore.... Im tired of split ends

Tamrin

unapologetic
:wallbash::wallbash: I moisturise, co wash, DC, wet bun, trim trim trim. Every time I look, I see a split ends. I had a trim a few months ago and I had one last week. I look tonight guess what I see... Split ends lots of them. So, I grabbed the scissor and started triming. I just cannot anymore. How much more do I need to do?

Below are some splits cut off tonight ( don't mind the shed)

split-vi.jpg

Help seriously.:wallbash:

I have use, Hairveda ends Hydration, Qhemet Amla olive butter, ORS Olive and Carrot moisturizers, I moisturize and seal, I protect my ends, I wrap at night. I switch conditioners, real moisturizing ones and I found a really good imported conditioners.

I use heat maybe 5 times a year. I use to air dry all the time. I just started back with roller sets.

Your hair stands look weak; looks like you need to start implementing more protein treatments in your regimen.

Maybe you're doing too much? I know my hair thrives when I don't wash as often. Going 7-10 days between washings is best for my ends.

I use to only rollerset and although I was getting great growth I would have to get trims often, like every relaxer. I think I was spending too much time under the dryer because it takes a long time for me to dry with rollers.

What about your night time routine? Satin or silk?

Maybe you're doing too much? I know my hair thrives when I don't wash as often. Going 7-10 days between washings is best for my ends.

Thanks MSA. I may give that a try. I have been going back to a weekly schedule of wash and set. No blow outs, no flat irons ( Im scared of those).

I use to only rollerset and although I was getting great growth I would have to get trims often, like every relaxer. I think I was spending too much time under the dryer because it takes a long time for me to dry with rollers.

What about your night time routine? Satin or silk?

100% Silk scarf or Satin Caps, as well as Satin Pillow cases All the time.

Excellent advice I think also msa, I too was finding damage after trimming frequently and decided to do as less posible to my hair including combing it less. I actually french braided it a couple times to make sure I wasn't handling it too much. I never use heat and I may blow dry a little 4 to 5 times a year. I believe that we can do too much to it or over handle it :yep: Good luck Tamarin and Thanx msa for confirming my thoughts with this issue...Anna

i have naturally thin strands as well. i'm a 4a/b texlax, and i found that i was getting a lot more split ends and breakage from to much manipulation of my hair. my ends are fully relaxed (which i am trying to grow out), and every time i treated my scalp with megatek or BT or olive oil, i would have to comb through my hair a lot to put it back into a neat bun at night and in the morning (i sleep wild too, so them scarves and satin pillowcases are routinely on the floor when i wake up). i would notice the same things you're notices.

about 2 months back, i started cornrowing the front because i was swimming a lot more. then i started twisting the back half. now i rarely have to comb my hair at all. i treat my scalp, wash, condition, protein, all that IN my cornrows and twists. i redo them about every 2 or 3 weeks. but it's definitely put a dent in the splits and the breakage. oh, and i never use heat. haven't used it but twice since my hair journey started last september.

best of luck!

I know my comment may be controversial, but it may be the airdrying. In the case of me and my sister, air drying led to lots of splits, damage and breakage that led to a BC. Rollersets have worked much better for me.

Yeah, what they said! I don't know how much you use the ORS Olive, but that really stripped my hair of any moisture. Perhaps its the MINERAL oil in the product. As soon as I took that product out of my regimen, and stuck to the hair butters, my hair began to thrive in moisture. Additionally, I am one of those few ppl who believes that heat helps the hair. Even if its just sitting under the hair dryer for 30min a month with plastic cap and conditioner

Excellent advice I think also msa, I too was finding damage after trimming frequently and decided to do as less posible to my hair including combing it less. I actually french braided it a couple times to make sure I wasn't handling it too much. I never use heat and I may blow dry a little 4 to 5 times a year. I believe that we can do too much to it or over handle it :yep: Good luck Tamarin and Thanx msa for confirming my thoughts with this issue...Anna

Glad I helped!

I definitely notice a difference when I stop doing too much. I think a big part of that stems from not being gentle when manipulating my hair because I'm trying to rush through it. Either way, cutting back on the number of times I do my hair per week helps.

I know my comment may be controversial, but it may be the airdrying. In the case of me and my sister, air drying led to lots of splits, damage and breakage that led to a BC. Rollersets have worked much better for me.

I wonder if it's not the airdrying itself, but how a person airdries. For example, doing a shrunken fro is ok for me but my ends are more prone to tangles and knots (leading to breakage) that way. Airdrying in plaits is much better because the tension stretches my hair out. Which is why I can see that rollersetting works.

I also think that for relaxed heads drying under the hooded dryer is a good idea because their hair isn't staying wet as long. Wet hair all the time isn't necessarily a good idea.

You ladies have offers some great ideas. I'm so gretaful Thank you so much. I'm very gentle with my hair, I only comb when I detangle in the shower with conditioner. The funny thing is and I forgot to mention, all those split ends are in the front of my hair. No matter what butter or moisturizer I use my hair feels dry and crispy right after mineral or no mineral oil.This is why I have yet to find a staple moisturizer. Last night I applied some keratin oil and slept with it. This morning I'm going to DC with a good moisturizing conditioner, for about 30 minutes under head. I will roller set. I intent to follow this regimen on a weekly basis and see what happens. Of course the Keratin oil is protein so I will do that every 2 weeks.

Have you tried using protein more often? Gymfreak has posted some great information about how thin hair thrives from more protein than coarser hair. Thin hair naturally has less protein. Have you thought about trying henna for strength.

Are you relaxed or natural?

Have you tried using protein more often? Gymfreak has posted some great information about how thin hair thrives from more protein than coarser hair. Thin hair naturally has less protein. Have you thought about trying henna for strength.

Are you relaxed or natural?

I'm texlaxed, I did it cause bone straight my hair was too thin. I will try to incorporate my proteins. Due to the dryness issue I use more moisture.

I would stop wet bunning and find another style.The combo of wet hair+brush(I'm just assuming you use a brush) can lead to alot of breakage and splits.Wet buns just don't work for everybody.I would try styles like twistouts and braidouts to give your hair break from being wet all of the time.

This is a good thread, thanks tamarin, I've picked up some great tips here, I too have never ending damaged looking ends:sad: personally I believe in my case it was too much direct heat on my fine natural hair!! I'm relaxed now and trying to do as much damage limitation as possible and will hopefully be back to a fully healthy head of hair some time in the near future, with your help of course ladies:yep:

Last night I just read a great thread on porosity control. I think the title of the thread is porosity. You could try that product before you do a DC. It's supposed to close your cuticles. Or you could try an apple cider vinegar rinse perhaps.

fyi i think it may be the way u style or wash your hair.. i hope u dont scratch the scalp when u wash cuz that cause supa damage its like taking a dull razor to ur strands.. it cause damage at the top of the strands.. so u will forever have splits..

yes direct heat and too much heat can cuase the hair shaft to explode!!! .. not just the ends, the middle or at the very top.

i saw this a few times in my hair..i trimmed a split and it split again.. you know y.. because i only cut half of the split of a strand that exploded just above the split

I would stop wet bunning and find another style.The combo of wet hair+brush(I'm just assuming you use a brush) can lead to alot of breakage and splits.Wet buns just don't work for everybody.I would try styles like twistouts and braidouts to give your hair break from being wet all of the time.

ITA...wet bunning seems like it could dry out texlaxed hair. I would baggy my ends instead.

:wallbash::wallbash: I moisturise, co wash, DC, wet bun, trim trim trim. Every time I look, I see a split ends. I had a trim a few months ago and I had one last week. I look tonight guess what I see... Split ends lots of them. So, I grabbed the scissor and started triming. I just cannot anymore. How much more do I need to do?

Below are some splits cut off tonight ( don't mind the shed)

split-vi.jpg

Help seriously.:wallbash:

That siggy is hilariious...!!! :grin::yep:

Some hair is just prone to splits ie. fine hair. I wouldn't obssess especially if I know i'm taking great care of my hair. HHG

Back