I aint messin', I'm a broke-broke!!!!

rosie

Ladies,

I need some advice.

I was laid off last year and had been working as a contractor for the last 10 months. My problem, the company I worked for is broke and not able to pay me.

My contract was cancelled and I am now looking for more work.

In the meantime, I am living off of my emergency fund. I have about 6 months to live off of. This is for living expenses and emergencies. I have paid off my credit cards and am not struggling, but expensive hair care is not on the list of necessities.

So all that to ask:

I need a frugal regimen (read really cheap products). I currently use (and have some left of) ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo, Suave conditioners for co-wash. I am out of dc, dcs, leave ins, and moisturizers.

Can you suggest some products for me?

Oh also, I do have a bottle of humectress.

Last edited:
Ladies,

I need some advice.

I was laid off last year and had been working as a contractor for the last 10 months. My problem, the company I worked for is broke and not able to pay me.

My contract was cancelled and I am now looking for more work.

In the meantime, I am living off of my emergency fund. I have about 6 months to live off of. This is for living expenses and emergencies. I have paid off my credit cards and am not struggling, but expensive hair care is not on the list of necessities.

So all that to ask:

I need a frugal regimen (read really cheap products). I currently use (and have some left of) ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo, Suave conditioners for co-wash. I am out of dc, dcs, leave ins, and moisturizers.

Can you suggest some products for me?
olive oil is cheap and ole reliable

u can always do overnight treatments for moisture and softness

Cholesterol is another good ole reliable for me

if i had to I could live off those two I THINK

Have you thought about trying Ayurvedic products? Most of the products I've seen and purchased are relatively inexpensive.

Also Ntm mask for moisture and ors hair mayo for protien. Both are cheap not chep cheap but cheap. Also the sunday paper usually has a coupon for a dollar off of ntm products. Just about every sunday.

Aloe vera gel, coconut oil, olive oil and glycerin will help with moisture. Especially if you put the oils on wet hair. That seals in the moisture from the water. You can use castor oil as a somewhat hair "gel". It's a humectant oil as well and thickens the hair. Really cheap too. For protein, egg whites, you can't beat 'em(or can you). I know that was corny. Anyway, all of my hair stuff is inexpensive compared to BSS prices. Simple is sometimes better. Try it out during your lean times. You might discover something!

ETA- Platinum is right. My ayuverdic stuff is like $2.99 to $4.99 for pretty good sized bottles. I was just getting you on the bare minimum with the stuff I listed.

OP i feel you... i was homeless for 2 months, unemployed, living in a shelter. not fun times :nono:

that's partially why i started looking into using food products in my hair... Indiana wouldn't give me any monetary assistance but they did give me food stamps for a while (or more correctly, an EBT debit card with a food allowance on it). so i still continue to use eggs and mayo for my protein treatments, also don't forget about using baking soda to clarify and ACV rinses afterwards, honey and olive oil. (shoot baking soda can be used to clean just about EVERYTHING :drunk: ) also i learned that you can water down conditioner up to 50% and it will still work the same (a bit runnier though)... i still do this today for co-washing because it makes my conditioner "last" longer. i only use undiluted conditioner for detangling.

i'm sure i can think of some more tips for ya, i'll be back :yep:

Last edited:
DC's

Elasta DPR-11
MISS KEYS 10 EN 1
Aussie 3 min miracle
Neutrogena Triple moisture
LUSTRASILK ALOE CHOLESTEROL
CREAM OF NATURE (purple label)

PROTEIN

ELASTA BREAKAGE CONTROL SERUM
motions cpr

LEAVE INS

911 Leave in
SURGE MOISTURE AIDE (dunno if they still make this, but it's good)
Aphogee Leave in
MOTIONS NOURISH
AFRICA'S BEST LIQUID HAIR MAYO

MOISTURIZERS

Hollywood beauty Carrot creme
Aloe Vera Gel

That's all I got off the top of my head. I used to live on a really tight budget.

Good luck! Hope I helped some...

Aloe vera gel, coconut oil, olive oil and glycerin will help with moisture. Especially if you put the oils on wet hair. That seals in the moisture from the water. You can use castor oil as a somewhat hair "gel". It's a humectant oil as well and thickens the hair. Really cheap too. For protein, egg whites, you can't beat 'em(or can you). I know that was corny. Anyway, all of my hair stuff is inexpensive compared to BSS prices. Simple is sometimes better. Try it out during your lean times. You might discover something!

ETA- Platinum is right. My ayuverdic stuff is like $2.99 to $4.99 for pretty good sized bottles. I was just getting you on the bare minimum with the stuff I listed.

ITA! You can usually make your stuff for a bit cheaper than buying. I've been making my own DCs and coming up with some pretty good stuff.
Sorry you are going through ruff times. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Big Lots has good conditioners for cheap. I agree with eggs or mayo for protein. Molasses if you start to deal with breakage. Honey for moisture. Liquid hand soap for a clarifying. Vaseline lotion as a leave-in. Cortisone ointment for balding spots.

Thank you ladies for the answers so far.

Hmm, the kitchen foods concept is tempting to me. I used to do the mayo thing back in the day.

Maybe I will have to try it again.

Food for hair is the sure shot - Crisco for a 'butter', and the Caramel Treatment for a DC......yogurt for protein treatments.....

I hope your finances flow abundantly!

Once a month, I do a mayo, avocado, honey, EVOO, coconut milk prepoo. My hair is always super soft, shiny, and strong afterward. I don't know your demographic area, but Dominican DC's are usually pretty cheap for the amount of product you get. Also, if you don't feel like mixing stuff, Suave Daily Clarifying is a good and cheap clarifier, HE Hello Hydartaion and LTR are usually $2.50-$5, depending on what size bottle you get. Additionally, Sally sells Litre size containers of Salon Care conditioners that are pretty good for CW's as well. I used to get the Honey Almond and Wild Cherry ones when I worked there and added water and EVOO or jojoba oil to them. Like someone said, Good ol' Cholesterol is a good cheap, reliable product. You could also add EVOO to it as well. If you have Dollar General, Family Dollar, and/or Big Lots, just go browsing for price points/references.

OP i feel you... i was homeless for 2 months, unemployed, living in a shelter. not fun times :nono:

that's partially why i started looking into using food products in my hair... Indiana wouldn't give me any monetary assistance but they did give me food stamps for a while (or more correctly, an EBT debit card with a food allowance on it). so i still continue to use eggs and mayo for my protein treatments, also don't forget about using baking soda to clarify and ACV rinses afterwards, honey and olive oil. (shoot baking soda can be used to clean just about EVERYTHING :drunk: ) also i learned that you can water down conditioner up to 50% and it will still work the same (a bit runnier though)... i still do this today for co-washing because it makes my conditioner "last" longer. i only use undiluted conditioner for detangling.

ITA:yep::yep:

Ditto on all o' that.

Food for hair is the sure shot - Crisco for a 'butter', and the Caramel Treatment for a DC......yogurt for protein treatments.....

I hope your finances flow abundantly!

Crisco??!?!?!

The cooking lard.

How do I mix that and with what? I'm out of Shea butter and need something thick, hmmmmmmm!

since you are natural i see no reason why you cant co wash more often with the cheapie suave. also you can use that as a leave in:grin:. for moisturizers you could try ORS or hollywood beauty. shampoo could be any cheap moisturizing shampoo but mainly elasta qp and/or CON. deep conditioner should be elasta qp.

ITA with using food products and a cheapie conditioner. The products are inexpensive and multi-purpose.

In my honest opinion, your hair can probably thrive with just 2-3 food products and 1 cheap conditioner. If I went MEGA-broke today, I'd stick with:

- Coconut oil - (great for moisturizing and DC-ing)
- V05 conditioner - (mix w/ Coconut oil for DC; I'd convert to co-washing/no-pooing; use as leave-in)

Other multi-purpose alternatives, some of which have been mentioned already? Extra Virgin Olive Oil (DC-ing, moisturizing), Suave (co-washing, mix w/ DC, leave-in), Shea Butter (DC-ing, moisturizing, styling), Castor Oil (DC-ing, moisturizing), etc.

Wow,
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies.

I do have three heads to do, so I think that I will try tie kitchen magic for now. Most of the items I have. We buy in bulk from BJ's and Costco.

I even have a half can of Crisco in my pantry. Trying that tonight.

I found a thread called Recession Haircare that I am also checking out.

I love Mane n Tail. It has some protein , is moisturizing and can be used in a few ways. The conditioner can also be used as a leave in.

I would also try

coconut oil - I love Spectrum brand
avocado
honey

Yeah, I really feel natural foods/herbs for hair is the way to go.
At the moment, I'm using things like eggs in my deep conditioners, Ayurvedic herbs (boy, are they cheap and they last long), raw and unrefined butters, natural oils.
I use these because I also feel they will be more beneficial for MY hair.

LL,

Thank you for this info. I may look into the Indian herbs. I know when I was younger, I went to this guy (he did hair on the side in his momma's house) and he would use eggs and mayo, etc on my hair. It was about the best it iever looked then. We all said that he had them "growing hands". :rolleyes:. He just kept it simple and took care of us.

BTW, your hair is beautiful and so is your spirit.

Also, most people may call me a hoarder, but in "good times" where I have extra to spend, I ALWAYS stock up on my fav products. I may not need it, but when times get hard, I always have my go to products on hand. This helps me make it through the rough times. Also, Motions Moisture plus is a GREAT all purpose conditioner and the 5 lb tub is only about 17.00. It lasts me (just myself at home) for at least 6-8 months. If I wasn't so lavish with it at times, it could go longer. PM'ing you!

Back