Votes: 33 22.6%
  • Couldn't Do It

Votes: 11 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp....
I'm guessing this question isn't for the people who actually have 4 type hair.... :perplexed

I was just getting ready to post this. This poll is for people with 3s and 2s hair. This is to see whether they are strong enough to deal with 4s hair:rolleyes:. Without the option to wear weaves, wigs, etc, this is to see if they can survive being a type 4 in the styling arena:rolleyes:.
So I guess my input on how I would wear my hair if I was a type 4a/b when I am a type 4a/b is moot. So I will KIM:grin:.

It is so crazy how much power black people give to something that other people largely don't care about. A lot of non black people don't know anything about your hair, which way is natural or that your hair isn't like theirs. If you are black, you are black, and a racist or bigot isn't going to care how curly or kinky your hair is.
It's amazing that people are equating having kinky hair with a struggle. I mean, aside from having a harder time pulling a comb through it, it's hardly something you need "strength" to do I think. So I have a friend who told me that really kinky hair and being tender headed is a bad mix is painful, and but she certainly does not hate her hair or have any issues in her daily life b/c her hair is kinky and not curly or wavy.
I mean, aside from what lower class black men think, what makes this so "hard"? What is your struggle? Pulling a comb through kinks instead of curls?
I mean, if this is your issue, fine, or if you look at people with kinkier hair and feel pity, again, that's on you, but I think that out of all of the things that I think require strength or that would cause me to pity another person, hair is not one of them.
Hyperbole much?

Screw the rules. I'm a rebel.:rolleyes: I am a lover of natural hair, but I prefer the strait look. I don't know how to roller set natural hair.Besides, no one could tell me what style I could do on MY hair.:lol: The rebel has spoken!:evillaugh::giggle: Happy Sunday!

Really, this thread just seems to be a mirror reflection of the question posed in the thread,
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=8827416#post8827416 -
"Be Honest: Would you go natural if you had a "certain" hair type?".

When I first saw this current thread appear, I immediately remembered this post from this week's earlier thread, "Spinny: If you could come back as a different woman":

If I had to deal with hard to manage hair or our men, nope. Tired of dealing with too many triflin black men. Its just to tiring. I'm married now but its taken to long and I've seen to much. My girls and I talk about this all the time. Most of them are still going through. Otherwise yeah I'd be a black woman.

Maybe this sort of hair fatigue (or dread of hair fatigue) is what the OP had in mind.

if i was able to get a BAA i'd wear that as often as i could (initially i wanted that when going natural, but my hair had other plans)

outside of the BAA i'd wear twists a lot and twistouts/braidouts a lot too...i guess cuz that's what i do now and that's what I know how to do, plus it works on any texture.

I would get sister locks..I luv locs and the only reason my hair isn't loc'd up is because I luv WNG's more...however if I had to deal with the long detangle sessions and constant PS..I would loc it in a heart beat..besides to me sister locs give ur the best of both worlds..locs that mimic str8 hair...

I wasn't allowed to wear a full head of twists back in the day. So, I used to comb it in one and bun it or put a plait at night and tie it with a head tie so it'll lay flat and have some cute waves in the morning.

Canerowing is also a nice option.

Canerowing with a puff is also nice.

A mixture of loose hair and plaits or loose hair and canerow is also nice.

Straw curls on natural hair (if you're good at it lol) is a nice option as well.

I have no idea why this is for 4a/b hair as if they aren't any styling options. Where I live, having natural hair is not such a novelty and people of all ages wear their hair in a variety of styles.

I dont post all that much but this brought me out of lurk mode. I am a 4a natural. The poll asks about styling options as a way to "cope" with this hair type. Or at least thats the way it comes off.lol. The "couldnt do it" option is a mess. Then seemingly posing the question to 2's and 3's ??? Like would you be natural if you had type 4? Coming from a "curly"? Type 4. Ok.... To answer the question all the styles look great on 4a hair. Even a shrunken fro. View youtuber "aliciajamesmusic". She is my personal favorite. Wash n go's every morning! She is a great example of the "struggle" but she makes it look so easy. Get new friends... Seriously.

I was just getting ready to post this. This poll is for people with 3s and 2s hair. This is to see whether they are strong enough to deal with 4s hair:rolleyes:. Without the option to wear weaves, wigs, etc, this is to see if they can survive being a type 4 in the styling arena:rolleyes:.
So I guess my input on how I would wear my hair if I was a type 4a/b when I am a type 4a/b is moot. So I will KIM:grin:.

Ohhhh! Fareal?! :lol: I wish OP would have said that. Cause I was like '...aren't there lots of people with natural 4a/b hair on LHCF?...What kinda question is this?' :lol:

uhhhh i feel like this thread is basicly saying
"4a/b hair is unwanted and not liked so if you had it would you still wear it without chemically processing it or straightening it or weaving it up?"

I think I'm a 4a/4b mix and I'm wearing a TWA right now! Last week, I had it pressed out and next week who knows. I get the looks, but I'm really don't care. The only weave I was considering was box plaits (about the size of my pinky) just because I think I'd like a change later on in the spring. I'm just learning to love what I have!

Hopefully I don't get stoned for this, but here goes. I have type 4 hair and I've "gone natural" twice after wearing braids for extended periods and immediately relaxed again after dealing with my hair for a few weeks. Why? I like straight sleek styles and I like being able to comb my hair in less than 10 mins. I can't do this with my natural hair.

Even after all that, if I had no choice but to go natural, I'd probably wear it the same way I wear my relaxed hair, in a bun. The only difference is, I'd probably be using lots of gel to control the frizzies.

No, it isn't some form of self hate, I just don't think curls of any type suit my facial sructure. I admire them on other people, but they don't work for me.

No, it isn't some form of self hate, I just don't think curls of any type suit my facial sructure. I admire them on other people, but they don't work for me.

So i guess your eye color, your nose shape, and lips don't fit your facial structure either?

I'm mostly 4b, newly natural after a long transition. I don't like afros on me, plus don't want to deal with the tangles and knots of wearing loose hair. I see twists being my main non-heat natural style.

Funny thing is this question would not really be "controversial" in real life. Just on here. As much as people hate to admit it, yes, in real life there are ALOT of people who would not go natural if they had type 4 hair. I know plenty of people who have stated to me that they would not be natural if they had my hair type. Or that the only way they would do it would be to loc.

Last edited:
I have purposely stayed on the sidelines of this "conversation", co-signing sentiments I considered valid, and giving a virtual :rolleyes: to those I felt were not. But things really are getting a bit out of hand in this thread....

My bottom line is this... if the OP wanted to know the experiences of other type 4 naturals, she should have asked just that. Plain and simple. Maybe she didn't mean to come across as pretentious or insensitive, but she did. Plain and simple.

Signed,

bride91501 (an "actual", NOT "hypothetical" 4b'er)

I agree. I answered the question with answers on how I would wear my hair (puff, 2 strand twists, braid outs) if it were 4b. I would deal with cards I was dealt, but if I were asked if I would CHANGE my 3c hair texture to 4b if I had the choice, the answer would be a big fat NO. :look:

I have the unwanted 4b hair. And I don't understand why it's loathed so much. It really isn't the worst thing in the world to have.
I would never want to trade in my 4b hair for 3c hair.

So i guess your eye color, your nose shape, and lips don't fit your facial structure either?

I hear both of you. SND411 knows what I know that God makes no mistakes and that after He had made everything "He saw that it was good". So Sheena, you may not believe this but your natural curls do indeed suit your facial structure. Perhaps you're just not used to it because that's not been your reality for most of your life. Or you just haven't figured out how to wear your hair in ways that flatter your face.

Certain looks grow on people and it takes time for old habits to change.

There's a difference between preferring a certain look and really buying into the lie that the look you were born with does not suit you.

I just simply don't understand the purpose of this thread or the other threads about this issue. If the worst thing that you have to deal with is the dreaded 4B hair then thank your lucky stars. SMH at this nonsense. :nono:

I'm not going to answer the hypothetical because the hypothetical posed in the OP is my reality, and I like my hair. Even with its frustrations and tangling issues, some of the most exquisite hair styles I've ever seen have been on my own head as well as those with hair like mine. I say this as my own truth, not to knock anyone or to denigrate others' hair just to elevate mine. But as Levar Burton said, you don't have to take my word for it. :rolleyes:

I don't think 4b hair is dreadful at all. I think that line of thinking is nonsense. If my hair were 4b I wouldn't want to change it to anything different because natural hair is just healthier (regardless of the texture), just as I wouldn't want to change my hair to anything different as a 3c.

I'm a 4b and one of the things I love about it is the versatility... I'm a big fan of playing with my hair and not being constricted to one look. I'm a big fan of braidouts, buns, puffs, frenchbraids and updos. I haven't used heat in ages and I've found that I can still get straighter styles with patience and creativity...like stretching with braids or wrapping with a scarf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back