HUGE change in attitude!

NubianQueen

Goodness, thirteen years ago I actually thought those girls in Oakland, CA with the ultra tight ponytails gelled back were it! I was twenty and had just moved there with my streaked individuals that my cousin hated. I was sooo disappointed
cry3.gif
that after TORTURING my tresses, I couldn't acheive the same look.
nuts.gif
Now that I am much more informed, I don't see those Susan Taylor hairlines as something to be envied. These days when I see styles that are damaging, I just cringe. I want to direct them all to this board!

I saw a girl yesterday with really tiny individuals that I used to think were darling. All I saw was breakage and didn't even notice whether or not the style looked good, I was just worried for her hair.

Even the style I am rocking right now had me initially concerned. My hair is cornrowed without extensions, but she uses a little gel at the beginning and at first I objected. I keep my hair moisturized, so it really isn't a problem. If it were, she would have to stop!

Anyway, I am very happy to have a change in attitude! Has being a part of hair boards changed your way of thinking too?

Yes, it has!! I've been inspired by so many individuals on these forums and it's refreshing to get sound advice and recommendations on how to get and most importantly keep healthy hair. If I knew then what I know now (and I'm still learning), who knows how much hair I'd have on my head! It's funny because when I'm out and about I see random people with hair that looks damaged and I want to tell them all about these forums! All in all, it's really nice to be more informed and share experiences and possible solutions with everyone.

[ QUOTE ]
NubianQueen said:
Goodness, thirteen years ago I actually thought those girls in Oakland, CA with the ultra tight ponytails gelled back were it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting - lived in Oakland all my life and dont remember this trend. But I'm glad your attitude had changed.

rofl.gif
b/c I REMEMBER those slicked ponys growing up in the Bay! My mom DARED me to try to follow suit!

OT: Hey Cali ladies! I'm here right now visiting the fam! What are ya'll doing for the holiday?

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
rofl.gif
b/c I REMEMBER those slicked ponys growing up in the Bay! My mom DARED me to try to follow suit!

OT: Hey Cali ladies! I'm here right now visiting the fam! What are ya'll doing for the holiday?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chile everyone I knew that was here and used gel, wasn't from here. My step sister used to use gel on the sides of her hair like it was going out of style on a short mushroom, but she wasn't from here. So you can't blame that on Oakland. She had no hair in that area now - and all her friends back home don't either. When I went to visit - they all had that same patch of missing hair. And they were all on the other side of the country.

I hear you CB, but don't act like you never saw anybody with those sorry butt slicked pony tails w/ the brown caky gel and the baby hair on the sides!
rofl.gif
I won't blame it on Oakland, or even the Bay for that matter, but I do remember those girls...they also sported those "Sweet and Sassy" coats, but now I'm showing out
lachen70.gif

I feel you NaturalRox, I'd look like cousin IT right now if I had this information before my 10th grade relaxer that began the end of healthy hair!

Hey there Brooke007, long time! Glad you know the Susan I mentioned!

Calbear,

I was there in 1991 and whether I was near east fourteenth or Castro Valley, I saw that style for two solid years. Funny thing is, I just saw a few hours ago a woman rocking that same style. Bald patches and all
nono.gif

Ayanapooh,

Okay?!!! I'm glad someone remembers all of that cakey gel, YUCK! My cousins hair grows like crazy, and she would try to get my naps to lie down like hers, yea right! No she did NOT have the nerve to put water on a brush AFTER she pressed my hair in the hopes of getting it straighter!
shocked.gif
She said that worked on her hair, that was the very first time I ever knew that 'we' had different types of hair because that trick would neva eva work on this mane!!

Succeda,

Puhleeeze say you didn't!

Yep, same here, blue_flower.

But I've definitely had a change in attitude, Nubian Queen. Making my ponytails "super tight" to the point where it's hard to blink is no longer a priority for me. Thank goodness I learned quick that I wasn't about to be uncomfortable for beauty.

I grew up on the west coast too, so I very much remember the ponytails with the gelled down sides. I even made a few "hand waves" on the side of my head with the gel myself in high school.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OH and just for this NO ONE in the 'O' is gonna kick it with you on July 4th
tongue.gif
j/k I gotta work on the weekend. How long are you gonna be here?

lol @ hard to blink. Oh yes, I remember how that felt and looking like I was part Asian, which I am not to my knowledge anyway.

We've come a long way baby!

I'd prolly result to getting a ghetto 27 piece if I wasnt a member of the forum and didnt give a rats ass about my hair
barf.gif

lol, I MUST be hungry, I kept thinking, man that's a LOT of chicken and what does it have to do with this topic! But I vaguely remember it being some type of layered hairstyle. Thanks for the chuckle and I'm glad you give a rats booty about your hair!
smile.gif

Back