How will u cope with harsh winter weather

Dionne

What moisturizers will you use, shampoos, conditioners, styling methods, you get the idea. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Very good question cause since winter rolled around my hair is looking really dry...i mean dry like some tired weaves it takes about 30 minutes to restore it every day. I don't know what to do though i think i need a relaxer which i'm trying to hold off on until January when i hopefully can get my hair braided.

Dionne, I don't even know! I've been practicing "healthy hair techniques faithfully" only for 3 mths now, and have no idea how to "properly" care for my hair during this 1st winter. I currently pre-wash w/olive oil, wash once wkly with Motions shampoos & conditioners & roller set. For added winter protection, I guess that I will have to wash/condition more often, wear more bun styles, and generally speaking, just "MOP" daily (moisturize, oil, & protect)....oh, I'm thinking of adding vitamins to my regime...at least the basic Nourishair. Hopefully I will successfully make it through this 1st winter without too much damage (hopefully none at all /images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I'll definitely keep my eyes glued to this discussion topic. Hopefully, I'll pick up some new ideas to help me out!

Moisture!Moisture!Moisture! /images/graemlins/wink.gif I plan on being "consistant" and on point with my deep conditions /images/graemlins/blush.gif. I have faithfully used Scurl for years (every season except summer). When I was 19, my friend who has hair like wool said it was the only thing that moisturized his hair & kept it soft. I've been using it since. Also, more protective styles. Watch out for those wool scarves around your neck/hairline ladies as well as those unlined wool caps /images/graemlins/confused.gif! They can do terrible damage as I learned first hand 7 yrs ago.

Let me tell you ladies, this cold in London is HARSH. It's ICE cold wind blowing and everything. I don't even kow if we have officially reached Winter in London, but this cold is ridiculous.

BTW 5THLMNT if you need a relaxer I would say relax your hair rather than try and stretch it out till january. That would be an extra inch or more for you depending on your healthy lifestyle and vitamin regimen. I was going to wait for mine and relax in the middle of december. Most of what I thought was shedding was actually breakage between the two points. Since I relaxed on Sunday and washed my hair last night I must have had less than 20 hairs in the comb throughout the whole of my hair styling. I don't know your hair type and the manageability of your hair with re-growth, but from my experience I'm just passing on a lil advice.

My hair has been holding up very well considering this is what I do.

Wash my hair every 2-3 days. When it starts to get dry looking that's when I wash it again to give it some moisture and life to it. There's nothing worse in winter than walking around with a dry looking head of hair. I swear that the freezing cold weather is closing up my hair follicles so it's nice to open them up with a warm shower for me in the cold winter weather.

I always CONDITION CONDITION CONDITION with a shower cap and a hooded dryer after every shampoo. It makes my hair feel so managebale. If you don't have a dryer then maybe use a hair dryer and hold it up against the showers caps and mpve it all around the head or just wear about 2-5 shower caps for about and hour and do the housework or something. I used the Queen Helene Cholesterol (white one) yesterday or I'd use the ORS Hair Mayo. Once a month I'd use the Motions CPR.

If your hair is feeling really dry I'd say this is a good thing to do to try and replenish the moisture.

When I wash out the conditioner I blot the excess water out of my hair and apply Africa's Best Organics (not ORS) Liquid leave in hair mayonnaise. This stuff gives that excellent slip feel and retains the moisture in my hair. It feels slippery like beaten eggs and has an excellent ingredient base. I blot a little more then leave to airdry for 1/2 and hour so that my hair is still damp. On my scalp i'll use either WGO or Organics Hair fertilizer temple balm which I use all over. It give my scalp a good tingly feeling. On my actual hair and ends I use the Africa's Best Organics Herbal Tea Tree gro which is like a hair butter and smells absolutely wonderful it's greasy and a lil goes a long way and is so good for dry ends. I twist up my damp hair in sections and you can then either leave it to dry completely or do like I do, cover in a large satin scarf and let my body heat dry the scalp overnight.

I picked up this wonderful product yesterday which I think is used by Caramela. It's by ORS and called Nature's shine. I use this for sheen and moisture and it contains Juki nut oil., coconut oil, soyabean oil and some other stuff I can't remember and I sprayed some on before putting my scarf on and this stuff is wonderful. It's easy to oil the ends of the hair in the morning just with a lil spray. There is one cone ingredient in there but I don't think this is a such a cause for concern. This product is a keeper for me. I sprayed some this morning and my hair just looks rich and shiny. It's a mixture of the whole routine.

I think the key is to keep the moisture in the hair, rather than try and add it once it's dry in the winter time for that healthy look and feel.

I hope this was of some help.

I have been rinsing on a regular basis and I have brought some henna wax treatment to use in the steam room, when I go to conditioner my hair, also I am will be paying some JF Lazartigue, the pre-conditioner, shampoo and conditioner, which is extremely rich. Because the mid-length of my hair is coloured, I have noticed it is very dry indeed, in the mean time, I think I will increase my rinsing, morning and evening, because the hair really needs a lot of moisture. The cold in England, is a very damp cold, very heavy, it does not feel crisp.

Oh yes and try adding an oil supplement to take internally that will assist in moister hair and scalp such as an essential fatty acid, something rich in omega 3 6 and 9.

each night i am sectioning my hair into medium to large sections and tying each so i have about 8 ponytails on my head. one section at a time i lightly mist mineral water from a spray bottle on the whole section and especially the ends, followed by light oiling with WGO or EVOO alone so that the water is retained and not evaporated away. at this point my hair is really moisturized but not greasy at all. i then LIGHTLY oil my ends again and coat the ends with a small amount of profective mega growth. then a final misting of water all over my head. i do this as early as possible in the evening (about 4 hours before i cover my hair and go to bed) so that the water and oils get a chance to penetrate the hair shaft. in the morning my hair is really silky and i just comb and apply fantasia hair polish and go!

i am also starting to wash my hair as soon as i notice it is dry and dull looking rather than necesarily
waiting for the 3-4 day interval.
thats all folks!!

I wash my hair every 6 days, on the sixth day is when I notice more hair loss in my comb. It take that this is due to the moisture being lost.

Currently I'm using Moisturizing Shampoos (Elucence and Arosci) followed with a Protein Conditioner and of course a Moisturizing COnditioner proceeds (Motions CPR, Mizani Moisturfuse). After I spray in leave in conditioner (Arosci or Professional Rx).

My hair's generally so moisturize that I do not require additional moisture. However, I've been doing tons of research on the chemicals in our hair products and the herbs and oils. I found websites and books that show you how to make your own herbal stimulating moisturizing shampoo/conditioners/cremes/rinses and etc. I will began making my own products tailored specifically for my hair needs.

How will I cope?

French rolls, pin ups, Creme of Nature, Profect Anti-Itch serum and Break-Free, Infusium 23, and ORS Olive Oil Sheen, and grease for my scalp.

I will use pomade on my scalp in the winter and keep it worn in a protective style. French braids, twists, etc. I love the winter because I don't have to worry about people seeing me much because I don't want to go anywhere.

Like LondonDiva said, I will shampoo my hair whenever it looks dry (every 5 days or so). If it looks really dry I will do conditioning shampoos.

Back