How To Treat Hair After 1 Year Ps

LonDone

PS May 2017-???
I've been in box braids extensions for just over a year after terrible shedding post illness - at the very least I'd love to have 6" of pre-shed thickness/new growth, even if it isn't 6" longer!

Takedown is next month. My question is what steps should I take on my natural hair to treat it after being hidden away so long?

It loves protein, and I have a huge stash of cassia and Indian powders which I'd like to make my staples to wash/condition, and EVOO/EVCO/Avocado/Wheatgerm oils.

Ideally just using these natural products. But I'm happy to use Faith In Nature and Mill Creek poo/con (mostly natural and organic) to supplement or if it makes using the powders easier for a newbie.

I'll put the braids back in after 2 weeks until Christmas, so basically I will be doing a 2 week trial run of what will be my new regi starting January 2019.

Welcoming all comments questions suggestions thanks ladies. :)

I've been in box braids extensions for just over a year after terrible shedding post illness - at the very least I'd love to have 6" of pre-shed thickness/new growth, even if it isn't 6" longer!

Takedown is next month. My question is what steps should I take on my natural hair to treat it after being hidden away so long?

It loves protein, and I have a huge stash of cassia and Indian powders which I'd like to make my staples to wash/condition, and EVOO/EVCO/Avocado/Wheatgerm oils.

Ideally just using these natural products. But I'm happy to use Faith In Nature and Mill Creek poo/con (mostly natural and organic) to supplement or if it makes using the powders easier for a newbie.

I'll put the braids back in after 2 weeks until Christmas, so basically I will be doing a 2 week trial run of what will be my new regi starting January 2019.

Welcoming all comments questions suggestions thanks ladies. :)
I too am on a one year prot style journey. I am 2.5 months deep and I started from a buzz cut mid-Dec 2017 and I braided my hair in mid-March (when it was nub-length lol). Today I am nearly 3 inches strong and my hair has been in raids every since. I only remove one braid at a time to redo or to change the braids (kanekalon or yarn). I henna while braided and my hair is STRONG and growing like wildfires! I will remove my braids completely in April 2019 and flex my bountiful fro then ( actually, I will do some feed-in braids for another 3 to 6 months from that point).

I too am on a one year prot style journey. I am 2.5 months deep and I started from a buzz cut mid-Dec 2017 and I braided my hair in mid-March (when it was nub-length lol). Today I am nearly 3 inches strong and my hair has been in raids every since. I only remove one braid at a time to redo or to change the braids (kanekalon or yarn). I henna while braided and my hair is STRONG and growing like wildfires! I will remove my braids completely in April 2019 and flex my bountiful fro then ( actually, I will do some feed-in braids for another 3 to 6 months from that point).

So do you wash in the braids?

@reeseycup - yay another PS long-termer lol! I also redo braids one at a time. But how do you henna while in braids?? As a gloss?
I mix up my henna with warm water and use an old toothbrush to push the henna into each individual box braid. I let it sit for about two hours and I shampoo it out til it runs clear. I do not DC because my diy moisturizer does a great job at...well moisturizing my hair. I apply my virgin hair fertilizer and it tingles soo nicely. My hair is strong and I now use hair that matches the color my hennaed hair so it looks pretty flawless. I wash (same wash routine) weekly because I use virgin hair fertilizer each day.

I mix up my henna with warm water and use an old toothbrush to push the henna into each individual box braid. I let it sit for about two hours and I shampoo it out til it runs clear. I do not DC because my diy moisturizer does a great job at...well moisturizing my hair. I apply my virgin hair fertilizer and it tingles soo nicely. My hair is strong and I now use hair that matches the color my hennaed hair so it looks pretty flawless. I wash (same wash routine) weekly because I use virgin hair fertilizer each day.

Thank you @reeseycup

I'm glad you've found a routine that works for you, I'm not sure about applying powders directly to braids but you've inspired me to make a tea to use as a final rinse yay!

I too have 75% not DC'd, using Elasta mango butter when rebraiding instead; doesn't appear to have done any harm so far. Is your diy moisturiser oil/butter based? Do you make it all from scratch? Thanks again

Thank you @reeseycup

I'm glad you've found a routine that works for you, I'm not sure about applying powders directly to braids but you've inspired me to make a tea to use as a final rinse yay!

I too have 75% not DC'd, using Elasta mango butter when rebraiding instead; doesn't appear to have done any harm so far. Is your diy moisturiser oil/butter based? Do you make it all from scratch? Thanks again
My DIY moisturizer is strictly water based. No oils in my daily moisture spray. My hair is soft and strong.

Last edited:
It’s been a min since I’ve had a protective style installed for a long period of time. Last time I had one I had them in for 7-8 months if I remember, and they were crochet braids of some sort, but the hair was wavy textured.

I’m not sure if you’ve had one installation in for the entire year, or took them down and reinstalled them in intervals of some sort, but if it’s the former, I’d suggest getting all of your new growth tamed first.

Typically folks will suggest to clarify, but often times that leads to matting, espeacially if you clarify before trying to loosen and remove shed hairs. So upon removal get all of your shed hairs out first. Anyway you see fit without accruing damage works. When I took my protective style out i slathered a bunch of conditioner everywhere and let it sit and then separated my hair in the shower, and rinsed and caught the majority of the shed hairs, which was one heck of a lot. Took me around 30-35 mins. After that I then clarified. And did whatever treatment to my hair was necessary. Use a decent strengthening treatment maybe 1-2x a week. Be it a deep condition or leave in. Whatever floats your boat.

During the time where your hair will be out, just focus on preservation, and keeping a watch out for your ends, and something to fortify and keep the scalp healthy. Reduce any inflammation, and keep edges free from unecessary tension. Keep an eye on SS knots and tangle any shed hairs that cause massive tangles.

Find detangling processes that cause the least amount of damage for you. Above all else. Trim if you need to, and give your scalp all the attention it needs.

Thank you so much @PlanetCybertron for taking the time to go into such detail - your progress is very inspirational. I've been so focused on products and forgot all about ACTUAL care - the basics smh!

I'll get a brush to help with detangling in the shower, is a big paddle brush the best tool for that job? I just bought a widetooth shower comb, but probably best to have both on hand.

I'll definitely pay extra attention to my scalp after having ignored it for most of the last year - it's beginning to show signs of distress along the parts so the braids will be coming out earlier than planned, probably next weekend if nothing comes up. Before I DO take them down I'll redo each to minimise shed hair and tangles once it's loose, thanks for the tip :)

Would cassia suffice as a strengthening treatment? I had planned to use Mill Creek Keratin protein con, if the cassia offers additional benefits to the protein I could add it to the moisture DC after the protein.

Thank you again!

Thank you @reeseycup

My diy moisturizer is a stash use-up of creamy leave-ins (shea moisture, sedal, mixed chicks) I jave sitting around collecting dust. I am trying (emphasis on trying) to go the minimalists route.

I'll get a brush to help with detangling in the shower, is a big paddle brush the best tool for that job? I just bought a widetooth shower comb, but probably best to have both on hand.

You can experiment around with both. Which ever technique yields the least amount of tension which may lead to breakage.

Cassia is a great product to use for strengthening. Just follow it up with any moisturizer that you like.

Back