How to get smooth hair without flatiron?

Determined22

Ok, I have a question for the hair gurus.

I have relaxed 4a/b hair, but when its wet and then airdried, from the middle down its extremely frizzy. Even when I was wet wrapping my hair, the parts of my hair that dried slower would end up more frizzy. The roots will be bone straight (I'm only 3 weeks post) but my ends are frizz central!

How can I get my hair to airdry but airdry smooth? I'm afraid to wear braidouts/twistouts cause my hair is so frizzy unless its flatironed. Oh, and my hair holds a ton of water, so even airdrying takes almost 24 hours, wrapping under the dryer takes a good 2.5 - 3 hours, and I want to cut that way down...

Thanks!

i know where you're coming from... i used to have this exact problem with my relaxed hair.

braid outs were perfect for me, actually. i did very small braids, and at the time i was loving ThermaSilk's leave-in conditioner since i'd usually blowdry (my hair has always taken a year to airdry, even as a natural). don't take the braids down until your hair is totally dry though... otherwise you will have frizz. but if you do small braids, you get krinkly-krimpy hair instead of frizz. don't manipulate it too much after you take it down... just a little at the roots so it doesn't look so separated and "piece-y" if that makes sense.

you can do a few big braids at night to try and help keep the braid out looking good for a few days. personally i just folded a big square scarf into a giant triangle and pulled my hair back that way (the old bandana look) so most of my hair was pulled back outta my face and went to sleep. but obviously, i'm lazy... :lol:

*now that i'm reading this, i'm not sure if i even answered your question...

For the smoothest, straightest, shiniest hair with very smooth ends I airdry in a rollerset. :)

Or the infamous ponytail rollerset. Perfect for the lazy or the not so good at getting them roots tight.

sassyhair said:
Or the infamous ponytail rollerset. Perfect for the lazy or the not so good at getting them roots tight.

What is that? Just making a ponytail and then putting rollers on the end?

My regimen is real similar to Sylver2. Check out her fotki. for more details and pictures.
After you have done your Shampoo and Deep Conditioning routine.,Put in a leave in conditioner and seal the entire hair with a serum. Let it hair dry. Then before bed put your hair in a silk/satin scarf. My hair always comes out straight as if I flat ironed it. I also use mango butter on my ends. But you can try with your fav prods. But I think the key to getting it straight is the serum and scarf. Your leave ins will make the hair soft. I hope this was helpful. :)

Back