How Thick Is Your Hair?

How thick is your hair? (Circumference of ponytail)

• 0-1''

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • 1-1.5''

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • 1.5-2''

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • 2-2.5''

Votes: 21 10.7%
  • 2.5-3''

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • 3-3.5''

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • 3.5-4''

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • 4-4.5''

Votes: 21 10.7%
  • 4.5-5''

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 5+

Votes: 27 13.7%

• Total voters

Chrissmiss

I copied this from a thread I saw on LHC. Basically you measure the circumference of your ponytail (don't include the band).

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

What is your current thickness?
What is your goal thickness?
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not?

Last edited:
I just measured mine, and its 5 inches. I bet though, that this number would drop dramatically if I straightened my hair. My strands are super fine.

My original thickness goal is already achieved. Although I had never measured the circumference of my pony tail, I knew what I wanted my hair to look like in its natural state. It's definitely bigger than it was 2 years ago. If I could get twice as much thickness in another 2 years, I'd be a happy camper :D I'm not sure if its likely, but I have a ton of new hairs growing in everyday, and my roots are unruly to say the least. Grow hair grow!

nikki

OP, you have gorgeous hair!

Thanks curlynikki your hair is really beautiful as well.

My hair is about 2.75'' more or less my goal is 3.5''+. I'm sure I will be able to achieve it within 1.5-2 years. My hair is alot thinner than it should be because of not so good past hair care and my "trick". Lol. My ponytail know is jus a little bit thicker than one of my pigtails was when my hair was first relaxed (I was 11 or 12) and I had not "trick". So that's my goal.:yep:

I just measured mine with a tape measure (the kind that construction workers use so it's not bendy like the ones you measure your body with) and it came back at 4". There is no way in heck that is right. I will say it's about 2" but I don't really know.

I have no idea how to measure this so I will say between 1 or 2 inches

Just put your hair in a low ponytail and use a measuring tape to measure the circumference right below your hair band. Probably dosen't really matter wether it's low or high.

Last edited:
8":perplexed i dont think thats right

(i measures one pigtail and just muyltiplied it by 2 because i didnt want to do a pony)

i think it would also be less if my hair was straighter

Naturals you'll probably have to divide your measurement by sum decimal (depends on your hair type). I know my natural pony would probably be more than 4''.

My hair is really thin. I don't have a ruler or anything around but I know I use a small:blush: Flexi-8 for a ponytail. They say the diameter of your ponytail needs to be the size of a Quarter (1inch) to use a small. :ohwell: Oh and that's when it's curly.

My hair is really thin. I don't have a ruler or anything around but I know I use a small:blush: Flexi-8 for a ponytail. They say the diameter of your ponytail needs to be the size of a Quarter (1inch) to use a small. :ohwell: Oh and that's when it's curly.
I'm not seeing how this is right based on your sig. Your hair looks extrememly thick.

What is your current thickness? - Just over 3 inches. Don't know what it is straightened.
What is your goal thickness? - Thick, but not too think. 4 inches or a little over...
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? - It definitely will get thicker. All my hair doesn't even fit into the ponytail yet, lol.

Last edited:

It looks great! :up: Doesn't look thin at all.

I'm not seeing how this is right based on your sig. Your hair looks extrememly thick.

That happens to me too... people say my hair looks thick, but it really isn't.

What is your current thickness? - About 1.5 inches. Around 1 inch when straightened.
What is your goal thickness? - Not too thick. Maybe 2 inches?
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? - It definitely will get thicker. All my hair doesn't even fit into the ponytail yet, lol.
Neith your ponytail is only like 1" around when straightened? Are you sure thats right?? I must be measuring incorrectly to come up with 3". Let me do it again.

Neith your ponytail is only like 1" around when straightened? Are you sure thats right?? I must be measuring incorrectly to come up with 3". Let me do it again.

Wait... you're supposed to measure the circumference? I was measuring the diameter :lol:

So then measuring how far it is around is just over 3 inches.

Weird :ohwell: maybe my hair isn't thin and I'm just doing the hair anorexia thing.

Would someone clear up how to measure? Maybe I'm not the only one confused about
it.

ETA:

Okay, that was a slow moment. It says circumference in the first post and the poll, lol.

Last edited:
I know my hair is thin, so what's the answer? The new growth is much thicker, that means I am going to have thin scraggly ends right-that need to be removed.

I think this is hard to measure with kinky hair because our hair is expandable. I can make a pony puff that takes both of my hands to do. Or I can squeeze a little harder. But my guess that even the smallest thing I could make would be 5"+. For the flexi8s only the extra large can fit all my hair, and even it can only do that if it's twists or a twist out or something, not my loose combed hair. I don't want it to be any thicker. I wouldn't complain if it was about 20% less hair than now.

Last edited:
I think these numbers are off. They say if the diameter is the size of a dime then your hair is thin. If it's the size of a quarter it's thick.

I am a little confused. Are we talking about how your hair is if you were to soak it in conditioners or put it up while wet...or are you talking about brushing out dry hair and then trying to pull it back with no product in it?

I think this makes a big difference, especially if you are natural. I know that I put my hair up today after cowashing and using some conditioner and oils to moisturize...my pony is around the size of a quarter and I know that I have lots of hair.

Neat way to measure. I have pincurls in now so Im typing to find it later, come back and edit tommorow.

But I have that thin hair so it will be under 2 I know.

ETA--So 3 inches w/ a tape measure, but IDK my whole head of hair looks like half of some peoples...maybe a quarter section LOL

Last edited:

I think it's cause of the roller set that it looks thicker. You should see it when it's straight. It's the littlest ponytail ever. :nono: I wish I had a pic.

Wait... you're supposed to measure the circumference? I was measuring the diameter

So then measuring how far it is around is just over 3 inches.

Weird maybe my hair isn't thin and I'm just doing the hair anorexia thing.

Would someone clear up how to measure? Maybe I'm not the only one confused about
it.

ETA:

Okay, that was a slow moment. It says circumference in the first post and the poll, lol.

Oh I was doing the diameter too lol. Oops. So I guess the circumference would be 3.14. Is that thick?

Last edited:
I think these numbers are off. They say if the diameter is the size of a dime then your hair is thin. If it's the size of a quarter it's thick.

That maybe, cause I didn't actually measure. I just used this as a guide.

sizer_small.jpg

SMALL: Pin measures 3-1/4 inches (8.25cm). If you have thin, fine hair (even if it is wavy, curly or straight) we recommend the small Flexi 8. Best for Half-up Pony Tail, full Pony Tail or Tails-Up! for fine hair. The diameter of your ponytail needs to be the size of a Quarter.

Last edited:
What is your current thickness? 3.5
What is your goal thickness? 5.5
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? Oh, yeah, I think it'll get thicker - it's gotten significantly thicker over the last two years - and I can only see bigger (literally) and better things in the future as me & the hair hit a serious groove thang. Of course, if I don't get to 5.5, I'll be aiight, but wow - what a gorgeous mane of hair that would be.

And this is all natural/dry stretched. Relaxed, I didn't look like I had hardly any hair, and I won't be pressing enough to make that measurement worthwhile...

Back