How Thick Is Your Hair?

How thick is your hair? (Circumference of ponytail)

• 0-1''

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • 1-1.5''

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • 1.5-2''

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • 2-2.5''

Votes: 21 10.7%
  • 2.5-3''

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • 3-3.5''

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • 3.5-4''

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • 4-4.5''

Votes: 21 10.7%
  • 4.5-5''

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 5+

Votes: 27 13.7%

• Total voters
My hair is just about 3" when flatironed. Does that make my hair thin or medium? Is there somewhere I can read info on this?

That makes it medium. :lol: I don't have the webpage, but here is the info that I copied to my blog so I wouldn't have to go searching for it.

The 'classic' method of determining your hair density is the simplest of the measurements, as all it requires is hair long enough to put in a ponytail, and a measuring tape. You simply have to measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

To measure the circumference - take a piece of string, or a soft tape measure (the kind used by dressmakers). Wrap the string or tape measure around your ponytail - just below the elastic you have in to hold the ponytail together. Read the corresponding number from the tape measure, or hold the string at the length you've measured and use a ruler to determine how much it is. The number given is the circumference of your ponytail.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

So my hair is normal and must be thick when not straightened.

Why you laughing at me sucka?? :sekret::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

:drunk: I was laughing at my unnaturally organized & hair obsessed self, who as soon as I read your question, knew exactly where to go in my blog to get the answer. :sekret: I think I take it a lil far, sometimes. :lachen:

:drunk: I was laughing at my unnaturally organized & hair obsessed self, who as soon as I read your question, knew exactly where to go in my blog to get the answer. :sekret: I think I take it a lil far, sometimes. :lachen:

Oh ok LOL. I surely appreciate the info.

So, I guess my next natural question is if 2-4" is "normal" and 4" is "thick" wouldn't the majority of white folx and hispanic folx and asian folx hair be considered thick?

So, I guess my next natural question is if 2-4" is "normal" and 4" is "thick" wouldn't the majority of white folx and hispanic folx and asian folx hair be considered thick?

Not necessarily. Over on tLHC, there were a LOT of thickies (I'm talking 5+ ), but that's a biased community, because - well, they are long hairs, and people with fine/thin hair are usually strongly discouraged from growing it long.....

:lol:

Urm, I also had this in my blog, which does support your point. :sekret:

Density - or the number of hairs you have growing from your scalp, is a main determiner of your overall thickness. The range is from 80,000 hairs (or follicles) to 140,000 hairs. It can be broken down (on average) by hair color, as well - redheads tend to have about 90,000 scalp hair follicles. Black hair tends to be around 108,000, while brown and blonde haired people can have up to 140,000, and ethnicity also affects the hair density, with people of African & Asian descent on average having the sparest density, and people of Caucasian descent having slightly more.

Ladies, please remember statistics and averages over large groups indicate little to nothing about individual members of that group, kay? Thanks!

So, if you have coarse hair but average density - you might have a 5+ inch ponytail. If you have very coarse hair and well below average density, you'll have a 2 in ponytail, and so forth and so on, with the actual size of a strand of hair making a big difference.

So I don't know if it's accurate to say that - "the majority of white folx and hispanic folx and asian folx hair be considered thick" ..... but you might not be wrong, either, because it would depend on the average diameter of a strand of hair in that racial grouping, as well.

Not necessarily. Over on tLHC, there were a LOT of thickies (I'm talking 5+ ), but that's a biased community, because - well, they are long hairs, and people with fine/thin hair are usually strongly discouraged from growing it long.....

:lol:

Urm, I also had this in my blog, which does support your point. :sekret:

Ladies, please remember statistics and averages over large groups indicate little to nothing about individual members of that group, kay? Thanks!

So, if you have coarse hair but average density - you might have a 5+ inch ponytail. If you have very coarse hair and well below average density, you'll have a 2 in ponytail, and so forth and so on, with the actual size of a strand of hair making a big difference.

So I don't know if it's accurate to say that - "the majority of white folx and hispanic folx and asian folx hair be considered thick" ..... but you might not be wrong, either, because it would depend on the average diameter of a strand of hair in that racial grouping, as well.

Sigh :perplexed
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I don't think so, especially not Asians. Most Asians I see have thin hair. Well, unless we're talking about Southeast Asians. They tend to have thicker hair. However, thickness of hair is definitely something I see great variety amongst people regardless of race.

Now to the original question. I have no idea how thick my hair is. It is not long enough to fit all of it in a ponytail, and my hair is not straight. My educated guess is I am somewhere in the ii range. I would like to be somewhere in iii range.

*Yes, I do know this is a post from 2008. Don't mind me*

I copied this from a thread I saw on LHC. Basically you measure the circumference of your ponytail (don't include the band).

What is your current thickness?
What is your goal thickness?
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not?

What is your current thickness? Thin thin thin
What is your goal thickness? Normal
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? As my hair grows i hope it will.

I copied this from a thread I saw on LHC. Basically you measure the circumference of your ponytail (don't include the band).

What is your current thickness? 6+? :nono:But that's unstraightened natural hair.
What is your goal thickness? No thickness goals, just length.
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? Gawd I hope not. :perplexed

I'm a i, though I haven't measured my circumference -- due to all the crazy dying I've done for the last like ten years of my life, I lost a LOT of thickness to damage!

Right now I'm using megaTek and I'm switching to henna to dye my hair very soon. Both of those I think will help with thickness. I have already seen an increase in thickness with just cutting out a lot of the mechanical damage I get from using a hot hot blow dryer.

If I can make it to a ii I will be so happy. My hair's thinness makes me super self-concious!!

when my hair is straightened, one tick below 3". I would love for it to double :look:, but i don't think that is realistic.

What is your current thickness? I am right at two inches. I'm shocked, I would have surely thought I landed on thin range.
What is your goal thickness? 4 Inches
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? I Dont think so. I really believe thickness is heredity and cannot be influenced by anything. Either ya got it, or ya dont...

Mines came out to be 3 inches, but I would think my hair was thinner than that like 2 inches. But I wont complain, I want the thickness.....

What is your current thickness? Straightened, it is 2.5. Normal, yay!

What is your goal thickness? As thick as it possibly can get!

Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? I think I can gain another inch or two once my hair gets properly moisturized and I have grown out all shorter layers and broken strands.

I'm natural and don't straighten so these are the results in natural state

Current Thickness: 2.5 inches
Goal Thickness: I've always thought it was thick enough
Will it get Thicker: I'm not sure. I just incorporated Cassia last week in my regimen and according to people that have used it, it will make the hair thicker. I thought it was a genetic disposition. But, I will soon find out.

I always thought my hair was thin, but when I measured it, I was 2.5! :grin:

I'd love to get another inch, if that's even possible.

Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? I hope so. My hair is already a little bit thicker since I've been taking better care of it. I think it'll get thicker as I grow my front layers out and keep my hair off of my shoulders.

What is your current thickness? Whatever 4" is????
What is your goal thickness? I don't really care so long as I can keep it tangle free.:grin:
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? Yes prolly because I have always had thick hair even when it was short.:yep:

I don't know if having thick hair is a good thing. It can be cumbersome.

Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not?

i dont understand... do i measure wet, dry, curly, or straights?

i dont understand... do i measure wet, dry, curly, or straights?

Measure it how you usually wear it. I measure my hair dry and curly - which I know gives me some extra thickness. :lol:

ETA: And ooooh, I really need to measure again, as I know my hair is thicker now - I might have almost reached my thickness goal! :woot:

Last edited:
Back