How often do you trim/dust

summerof1990

Say if you got your hair trimmed today how many months does your hair keep those neat ends before they need to get taken care of?

I got mine trimmed in Feburary i grew back really quickly now i think i may need a dust.

ALSO do you think dusting and trimming those bob wire like ends help retain length and keep you "growing" ?

Last edited:
I get a hair trim once a year. Even though I only get a full cut once a year, my ends remarkably remain thick and relatively even. I dust every 3 months. That's the plan, anyway lol.

HOWEVER, if I happen to randomly spot a split end, its over. I can't cut just that one, I have to search my whole head :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
i used to trim once a year but i've had to dust almost every month since i started using the denman. sadly, i might have to let go of that brush

Trimming once a year gave me a horrible head of damaged hair...that I then had to cut.

So...I now trim every six weeks. I'm BSL and on the way to MBL so it's working for me. But I do my own trims and I take off an eyelash length where needed.

I currently have the best head of hair of my life. I call it...my dream hair.

I put the trim reminder on my calendar and check my ends after six weeks, if they need a trim, I trim it. If they do not, I wait until they do.

Also, if I see a damaged section...I give it a trim, I don't wait. I hope this helps someone, because I was completely confused about how to handle my 4a/b hair for years. If I did not wear my hair straight 90% of the time, then I would not be on a trim schedule.

I dust every 2-3 months. The only time I've needed a real trim is after I took my dreads out, but normally dusting is enough. Since I'm dusting and not trimming, I never have perfect looking ends. As long as they are thick and not see through, I prefer not to have a blunt hemline.

Trimming once a year gave me a horrible head of damaged hair...that I then had to cut.

So...I now trim every six weeks. I'm BSL and on the way to MBL so it's working for me. But I do my own trims and I take off an eyelash length where needed.

I currently have the best head of hair of my life. I call it...my dream hair.

I put the trim reminder on my calendar and check my ends after six weeks, if they need a trim, I trim it. If they do not, I wait until they do.

Also, if I see a damaged section...I give it a trim, I don't wait. I hope this helps someone, because I was completely confused about how to handle my 4a/b hair for years. If I did not wear my hair straight 90% of the time, then

I would not be on a trim schedule.

Would u say dusting helps you retain your length.

I dust every 2-3 months. The only time I've needed a real trim is after I took my dreads out, but normally dusting is enough. Since I'm dusting and not trimming, I never have perfect looking ends. As long as they are thick and not see through, I prefer not to have a blunt hemline.

And would u say dusting helped u retain instead of break

I have put myself on a 8-10 week trim schedule. I do feel like keeping my ends trimmed helps me retain, but I don't know I'm qualified to say that since my hair is so short but ..... I say it because when I trim my hair is right back to where it was when I started shortly after, and it seems like I notice the most retention after I've had a trim. when I wasn't trimming I felt like my hair was standing still (does that make sense??)

I pretty much trim every 3-4 months with every relaxer and by then I NEED it. If I skip, my hair just looks a mess. I never dust but if I find a split end I will snip it off and look for a few more to get rid of.

Back