How Often Do You Oil Your Scalp?

How often do your oil your scalp

• Total voters

Ajna

As a kid I used to oil my scalp all the time and I had really bad dandruff all the time. Makes sense considering what is in TCB. But now I notice a lot of people using oil and having positive results. Due to past experience I have never really done it but am I missing out.

I was wondering if you could tell me if you oil your scalp and if so how it has helped your hair, what you use and how often?

I do it (as needed) but I'm an Oil-Head. :rolleyes:

I use it twice a week on top of my DC'ers (to Steam with)

And when I use Henna, I add a drop or two in my Henna Mixture.

I basically try to use Pure Cold Pressed *assortment* or ED JBCO.

I also use a lot of Oil Blends. As well as Grease, Pomades, Butters.

However, I've been using Sulfur Oil and/or Sulfur based products, so I've been using those as per the directions.

If you ever decide to return, you are always welcome in the Oils Challenge.

When I started this hair journey I had all kinds of oils in my arsenal jojoba, sweet almond, castor oil, peppermint, tea tree, rosemary, and of course my beloved extra virgin olive oil. I tried to do all kinds of hot oil treatments and added oils to my DC's but I can honestly say that it has been at least 2.5-3 years since I have put a stand alone oil on my scalp.

I don't oil my scalp either. I do oil rinse when I wash my hair now, with wheatgerm, grapeseed and sunflower oils. I really like these as they don't sit on my hair. Especially grapeseed oil. I tend to use this and wheatgerm oil on the length of my hair.

ETA: Actually I do occasionally oil what was my bald spot with JCBO. It only became hairy this year.

Last edited:
I have a really sensitive scalp that itches at the drop of a hat so grease and oil weren't ever my friends when I was a kid. Things build up on my scalp way too easily and I'm happiest with nothing on it :yep:

Lately I've been experimenting with some oils/grease but my scalp still isn't a fan. I did notice that this sulphur ointment that I've had for like ever (it's basically sulphur in mineral oil) doesn't make my scalp itch. It also builds up really quick, so like 3 or so days after I put it on, my scalp is pretty gunky and begging to be washed.

I've also tried spritzing my scalp with diluted acv which was great at soothing irritation. It isn't great on extra dirty hair though.

Now I haven't used any of these with any sort of regularity, but this is just what I've noticed the few times that I've tried these (maybe ~4x each). Hope that helps

I don't but I produce way too much oil in general.

We should really only oil the scalp if it naturally does not produce any. A good test is to use an oil blotter on the scalp a day after washing (on naked hair normally) and if it's clean then oiling it is a good idea. If there's oil on the blotter, oiling it further is really unnecessary not really healthy for the scalp. In that case one could just focus on the length of the hair, instead.

I have both dry skin & scalp, so I like/need a little 'help'.

And I think my scalp is fine since my Oils usually don't contain Mineral Oil, Petroleum, Petrolatum etc...

I don't experience itchy scalp etc...which it would probably be if I didn't use a lightweight oil.

I didn't know which to choose... I oil my scalp about every other day whether it needs it or not lol. I use castor/peppermint oil mix to stimulate my scalp and keep it moist. I always co-wash it out though. My hair doesn't like oil in it.

I used to stay oiling my scalp, but I just stopped caring about it due to hair laziness. :lol: It's not a priority, but I'll oil and massage my scalp every few weeks if I think about it, or if my scalp is itchy I'll massage in some kind of tingly pepperminty oil.

99.83% of the time though, I'm just using oils on my hair.

I used to have the same problem as OP where as a kid I'd oil my scalp and I'd have dandruff. A number of years ago I stopped oiling my scalp and only oiled my hair and the problem never returned.

In the last year or two I've been experimenting with not liking the length and just relying on the moisturizer and most recently sebum. So far so good.

I only oil my scalp if I want to apply essential oils to it. In that case I may use jojoba or coconut oil as a carrier oil for that. I don't do it on a regular basis though.

I oil my scalp when it itches with coconut oil. Even though I wash and condition ever week, my scalp get itchy sometimes. What I find is that if I pre-poo with oils the night before then my scalp does not itch. I've also recently purchased a lot of essential oils i.e. Lavender, Lemongrass, Argon, Jojoba, so intend to some in my shampoo, conditioner, and as a sealant.:afro:

I oil my scalp when it itches with coconut oil. Even though I wash and condition ever week, my scalp get itchy sometimes. What I find is that if I pre-poo with oils the night before then my scalp does not itch. I've also recently purchased a lot of essential oils i.e. Lavender, Lemongrass, Argon, Jojoba, so intend to some in my shampoo, conditioner, and as a sealant.:afro:

Hi Misseyl, you one year since you BC or shaved is coming up like me. How do you feel about your progress?

Best,
Almond Eyes

At the moment I'm oiling once or twice a week with a mix of extra dark jbco, emu oil, and rosemary & peppermint essential oils. I've heard that all of those can be good at stimulating the scalp and hair growth, so giving it a go! My scalp does tend to get dry and flaky if I don't put something on it.

Thanks ladies this is really helpful. I think I am going to continue to follow my instincts. Now I feel like I am not missing something!

At the moment I'm oiling once or twice a week with a mix of extra dark jbco, emu oil, and rosemary & peppermint essential oils. I've heard that all of those can be good at stimulating the scalp and hair growth, so giving it a go! My scalp does tend to get dry and flaky if I don't put something on it.

I use emu oil on my face and I love it a side benefit is it has removed a great deal of those dark spots you get from pimples that you squeeze when you are not supposed to.

I use emu oil on my face and I love it a side benefit is it has removed a great deal of those dark spots you get from pimples that you squeeze when you are not supposed to.

I mixed a bit into my normal moisturiser and I think it's helping my skin :) I tried using it by itself to start with but the smell was too much for me! I don't notice it in my hair (probably partly due to the EOs), but on my face...phew!:confused:

I massage weekly with my favorite oil blend that is very lightweight. After experimenting with various oils over the years I've been natural, I realized that my hair and scalp prefer light to medium weight oils. I have noticed a reduction in sensitive areas on my scalp and also a reduction in the amount of product I need to use to moisturize and style.

I just started prepoo-ing Friday evenings with a coconut/JBCO mix. If I'm not doing anything Saturday, I leave it in longer so that as much coconut oil as possible can really penetrate the strand.

I oil my scalp on wash day, every 5-7 days, using with Qhemet's AOHC or coconut oil. My scalp can quickly become dry and itchy a few days after I wash it. Oiling it helps tremendously with that

I never oil my scalp. My daughter has problems with her scalp and oiling it with shea butter twice a week has pretty much eliminated the problem.

My choice is daily & I rotate the oil blends. I use the following:
coconut-based or sesame-based Ayurvedic oil blends (Ramtirth, Dabur Vatika, Baidynath, Sesa)
Black Castor, Black Seed & pimento oil blends (Sunny Isle, Tropic Isle Living)
Prepoo overnight weekly with hemp & neem oil blends (Auromere, Coastal Scents, Nutiva)

ETA: I live in a sunny climate, have dry scalp & low-porosity coarse, dense hair. Oiling my scalp stimulates growth, retards gray hairs, strengthens my roots and protects the scalp from dryness & sun damage between washes. Early on when I went natural I jumped on the “no grease/oil on scalp" bandwagon. Big mistake. My scalp would crack & be so painful. I also had weathered hair at the crown from UV exposure.

Last edited:
@Bibliophile, re the bolded, please explain what this is/symptoms. Thanks.

My choice is daily & I rotate the oil blends. I use the following:
coconut-based or sesame-based Ayurvedic oil blends (Ramtirth, Dabur Vatika, Baidynath, Sesa)
Black Castor, Black Seed & pimento oil blends (Sunny Isle, Tropic Isle Living)
Prepoo overnight weekly with hemp & neem oil blends (Auromere, Coastal Scents, Nutiva)

ETA: I live in a sunny climate, have dry scalp & low-porosity coarse, dense hair. Oiling my scalp stimulates growth, retards gray hairs, strengthens my roots and protects the scalp from dryness & sun damage between washes. Early on when I went natural I jumped on the “no grease/oil on scalp" bandwagon. Big mistake. My scalp would crack & be so painful. I also had weathered hair at the crown from UV exposure.

Back