Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Only for relaxers and other chemical treatments

Votes: 69 31.5%
  • I'm completely self styled; I refuse to go to a stylist

Votes: 85 38.8%
  • other-not listed

Votes: 45 20.5%

• Total voters
I now plan on going to the salon for relaxers only. I started taking care of my own hair for a month now and I love it. I look forward each week to washing my hair. In the past, I used to go to the salon every 2 weeks. I'm proud to say, not any more!!

I used to go every six weeks for relaxers only. Then my hair broke off and I found LCHF. Now I don't go at all and my hair is thriving. The next time I go to a salon it will be at a place like SuperCuts to get my ends trimmed.

I went once last year (2007) and I've been once so far this year. I would love to completely self-style, but I cannot acheive that ultra straight flat iron that I can get at the salon.

I typically go about 3 times a year for relaxer touch-ups and I may go a few other times for roller sets for a special function when I don't have the patience to do it myself.

I think the last time I've been to a stylist was in 2000 - to get braids put in. After that (which was a very unsatisfying experience) I figured I could do it myself & cheaper.

The last time I went to a salon was about a year ago. I got layers cut into my hair because I got tired of one length hair. Thats it everything else I have been doing myself.

Since finding this forum a couple of years ago I've committed to doing my own hair including perms. I always dreaded sitting in the salon all day, and there was always a chance they don't fix my hair as I wanted. And then theirs the trim that always turns into a cut. I would not have reached the length I have now if I had continued in the salons. I seem to have healthier hair without going to the salons because most of them only concern themselves with styling your hair which includes hard gels and sprays that always seemed to dry and break my hair off. The education on hair care on this forum has been worth giving up the salons. I sometimes consider going every now and then but I seem to chicken out because I'm afraid they are going to mess up my progress. Now if I can just get past arm pit length.

I typically go once a month to get my hair professionally flat ironed. Eventually, I want to be able to flat iron my own hair straight enough so I can avoid stylists all together.

I am new to this site however, I have been doing my own hair for the past year. I will continue to do it myself from now on. When I was going to the salon every week my hair stayed the same length. The stylist would trim/cut my ends with every relaxer so I never got any good growth. Now that I have been doing my own hair it has grown so much over the past year. I have had it with stylist and salons. They are always jammed packed with people which means they give you crappy service. They are always in a hurry to get into the next head. So I gave up on them and I am thankful I did. I am also glad I stubbled upon this site, so I don't feel like the odd ball out any more. Thanks guys...

Once every 2-3 months , for length check and a treat..its nice to have someone do my hair for a change. I'll b going on 27th for my BD , I'm going to get a roller set. My sister will be trimming my ends on the weekend, this will be my first time having anyone else trim me since April 2006. I trust her...I'll still be saying a little :pray:..And if anyone thinks God doesn't care about our hair ....I know He cares about mine..he brought me here after I prayed.

every 2 weeks. My stylist is great, very profession and is helping me grow my hair nicely. Once I'm MBL, I probably only go once a month or every other month

I voted that "I'm completely self styled; I refuse to go to a stylist". My last stylist really jacked me up by always cutting my hair and doing things that were drying my hair out. I could always do my own hair anyway, so after finding LHCF I decided that I could go it alone. I'm open to finding a stylist to go to maybe 2-3 times a year but until I find someone I trust, I'll do it myself.

I go every 2 weeks. Since moving to Atlanta 9 yrs ago, I've gone to about 15+ stylists but now that I've found the best - Balisi - I don't need to look elsewhere. Whereas I had issues dealing with my natural texture, she is very gentle and my hair is thriving. I also do not spend all day in her salon.

every week - like clockwork - my hair seems to rebel when i touch it... my hair is never as soft as she gets it - and even without conditioner on it as yet...my hair has done so much better going to her...

I go weekly. I have gone weekly since 1999. It's my personal therapy. I never mind my time there (between 2-4 hours) because I bring so much to do and read that the time flies by. I went to the same salon for almost 7 years and switched 2 years ago. I tend to find a stylist I like and stick with him/her.

I could always take care of my own hair if I wanted to. But the knowledge I've gained on the board has just made it easier for me and my stylist. He can tell the difference in my hair and appreciates the help I offer by taking of my hair in between appointments.

I think some people blame the stylist and it's really partly their fault. They do nothing to take care of their own hair in between appointments. Although you are paying for a professional to do your hair, you have to do your part as well. It's like going to the doctor and getting a prescription and getting mad at the doctor because the problem is still there, although YOU haven't taken your medicine.

I go weekly. I have gone weekly since 1999. It's my personal therapy. I never mind my time there (between 2-4 hours) because I bring so much to do and read that the time flies by. I went to the same salon for almost 7 years and switched 2 years ago. I tend to find a stylist I like and stick with him/her.

I could always take care of my own hair if I wanted to. But the knowledge I've gained on the board has just made it easier for me and my stylist. He can tell the difference in my hair and appreciates the help I offer by taking of my hair in between appointments.

I think some people blame the stylist and it's really partly their fault. They do nothing to take care of their own hair in between appointments. Although you are paying for a professional to do your hair, you have to do your part as well. It's like going to the doctor and getting a prescription and getting mad at the doctor because the problem is still there, although YOU haven't taken your medicine.

I Totally Agree :)

Took the words right out of my mouth. I also go weekly. I like the pampering. I can do certain things myself, but it takes too much time. I'd rather be relaxed and let someone else do it. The good thing about being on this board is that you learn the important things that you should be looking for in a stylist (e.g. no rough handling, good treatments and products, minimum heat, no hard sprays, etc). It took me a long time to really find someone that I trusted with handling my hair. She does as I ask and she is really into healthy hair practices. And it takes a lot for me to go to someone weekly being that I'm really particular about my hair and who I let handle it.

I agree to an extent. Most people who aren't knowledgeable about haircare tend to go home and emulate what their stylist does in the shop. If the stylist is demonstrating poor hair care practices, the person will go home and unknowingly do the same. For instance: Stylists scratched up my "dandruff" for years then applied grease to my scalp (amongst other things). I thought that was helping. I would go home and do the same. I knew my condition wasn't improving but I wouldn't have imagined that a stylist (who I'm paying GOOD $$$) would be doing something counterproductive to my hair. After joining the board and gaining knowledge, I now know. Before I didn't.

I've been doing my own since February of 04. I use to frequent the Dominicans every week for as wash&set and every 6 weeks for a relaxer but had nothing to show for it. Now that I'm doing it myself, I no longer get burns and unnecessary trims/cuts. Doing my hair myself gives me the chance to do what I want to my hair -- put on tons of good conditioner, wash/rinse/and comb my hair the way I like it. I don't think I'll ever trust another stylist/beautician with my hair again..

Very very very infrequently. Once a year if that, and it's usually for some type of cut. I'm determined not to do it this year. 2008 is soley about GROWTH :drunk:

I agree to an extent. Most people who aren't knowledgeable about haircare tend to go home and emulate what their stylist does in the shop. If the stylist is demonstrating poor hair care practices, the person will go home and unknowingly do the same. For instance: Stylists scratched up my "dandruff" for years then applied grease to my scalp (amongst other things). I thought that was helping. I would go home and do the same. I knew my condition wasn't improving but I wouldn't have imagined that a stylist (who I'm paying GOOD $$$) would be doing something counterproductive to my hair. After joining the board and gaining knowledge, I now know. Before I didn't.

I agree with that. Many things most of here would shake our heads at were widely practiced in the salons I went to.

I haven't been to a hair salon in almost a year and my hair has increased in length. Now it's really not easy for me at times and often I get frustrated but the stylist would cut my hair every time it would gain an inch and I didnt like her attitude.:nono:

I understand that. I am referring to people who do nothing between appointments. who spray spritz, continue to use heat with no protectant, etc. Besides like the saying goes, when you no better, you do better.

ARR

I think this board has only enhanced my hair care experience. my stylists ask me what i'm using and recommend it to their clients. i bought vits for my shampooist. i don't force anything on them, i just let my hair speak for itself.

i am always amazed by the hair horror stories i hear. i just never really had that. i switched stylists mostly because my stylist couldn't help me grow my hair, but there wasn't a bad experience that made me switch.

i don't have the patience or the creativity of my current stylist, so I love him to death! he's one of the rare ones who will actually do the style i bring him.

ARR

I've been a DIY for the most part and go to stylists for braids and twists, etc., but I won't be doing that for a while if ever. It seems like everytime I go I notice they comb a lot of hair out resulting in thinner ends. These were reputable stylist that was recommended from others. I have resigned to just doing every thing myself. No one cares for your hair the way you do.

I go to my stylist on the edge of Takoma Park, MD every 8-10 weeks for a touch up/trim. I have always been able to do my own dc, rollersets, wraps, hot oil treatments, etc...

I have been doing my own hair for a few years, but I am not opposed to going to a hairstylist who knows how to handle natural hair.

Until I find someone in or near my area I will be doing my own hair.

Back