How often do the Dominican ladies do their hair?

Mahalialee4

Are there any Dominicans on board, or curly haired ladies? I hear that they the Domincan ladies) get "blowouts" but for those who do not, how often do they shampoo, or conditioner wash and deep conditioner. Many of them seem to have very stable routines. I would really love to hear about the wash and bun ladies from there. Bonjour

I don't want to speak for all Dominicans but my friends tend to do their hair once a week or every two weeks. If it's straight then they get it done at the salon, wrap it at night and go in the morning.

I used to get my hair washed, roller set, and blowed dried weekly. Most of us do it once a week.

Curiously: Where does all the moisturizing take place...with the conditioning process? and what about the ends....how do you keep them moisturized and retain your length?....I notice that there is less braiding done in that community...or is that just an outsider perception. Do they braid up at night? Please share more specifically because the ladies seem to maintain hair that is soft yet strong. thank you all for all your replies. Bonjour.

great questions!!

I notice braids on some little children, or as a styling method in the salons....the place I go to actually does the whole braidout thing for 40 some dollars :eek:

but usually I see grown women with rollersets and blown straight. I think braids may not be that popular in this culture. Its like why braid it if you can wear it out? That is my perception only, not meant to offend anyone. :)

@CCD:

I would LOVE to pay someone to do my braidouts. It takes me hours to do my hair and sometimes I get sick of doing it.

In my experience there isn't much braiding Mahailialee....that's probably cultural. Braiding is seen as a distinctly African hairstyle choice, and the standard of beauty in DR is rather European.

Usually Dom. women rollerset and blow, and then wrap their hair at night or put it into little rolls...they look like a curl without a roller in it....

They apply a moisturizer, a light oil or a serum to the surface of the hair to enhance shine and smooth the surface....but that's really it. They trim often, condition well and "keep the hair straight" to preserve the ends. In a lot of households wearing the hair curly can be seen as damaging to the hair since it's bound to break when combed after drying curly. They don't "spot target" like we tend to do on hair boards. Haircare is a total body endeavor...they employ diet, regular quality care, and maintenance of a style that they believe reduces breaking and splitting - and what you see is what you get. Healthy, shiny, soft, sometimes heat damaged hair. :)

Last edited:
Okay, I understand keeping the hair straight thing. But what if their hair is curly? Do they tend to relax more or just roller set the curly hair? Whatever they do they seem to have more success at keeping their ends than many over here. My hats off to them...I could learn a few things! Bonjour

caligirl said:
@CCD:

I would LOVE to pay someone to do my braidouts. It takes me hours to do my hair and sometimes I get sick of doing it.

:lol: I know that's right...but for 45 bucks plus tip...that is almost the cost of relaxing.....so I will struggle at home. Plus they do alot of braids....they start from the back and they are precise so you know you are in that seat for a hot minute!

As Tracy mentioned, with the braiding thing I suspected that. Its all good though, cause they have what seems to be healthy hair the way they take care of it. To each their own.

My hats off to them and the African Ladies on 125th street ( although, they braid too tight in the front.....I recently saw someone with braids that would give me a headache)...sorry OT :ohwell:

Last edited:
I think the biggest thing w/ Dominican women and hair is that there is not too much hair manipulation and products. As Tracy said, wash and condition and a light serum on the hair that's pretty much it.

I've seen women in Santo Domingo w/braided extensions. On the beaches, they have hair braiders who do braids for cash. Generally, I would say that the majority of dominicans wear their hair straight and just about EVERYONE relaxes. (yes, even those who may look like they dont need to when it is straight)
BTW, I've also seen hair extensions, but they are less detectable down there for some reason to me.
The general rule for washing hair is once a week for regular hair and twice a week if u have dandruff.

So is there a reason that "moisture" is not mentioned as a big factor? Is it because of the climate of the Dominican Republic? And when they live here, how do they account for getting the moisture into the hair that is sufficient to keep their hair lubricated? Bonjour

Back