How much does your hair cost??

SweetNic_JA

I wouldn't be surpised if I spent $1000 for hair care within the past year.

Ie.
My superstar iron : $103 (including shipping)
My recent purchase of Biosilk Therapy : $23 (including shipping)
2 packs of human hair for braids : ~$50
recent visit to the beauty salon : $30 (including tips)
2 bottles of nexxus emergenee : $34
I could go on but I think you get the point?
3 bottles of Humecto : ~$33
Bottles and bottles of oil: ~$100
Vitamins: I won't even go there!

I could go on but we get the point.
How much do you spend on hair care?

Well, just for the weekly salon visits alone, I'd say well over $1500 a year.
shocked.gif
I never miss a week. Now, that I've actually taken a serious interest in my hair and have been experimenting with various products/bringing them to the salon rather than using what they have there . . . add another $300 over the past 2 months (2 different Nexxus shampoos, 4 different Nexxus protein treatments/conditioners, 4 different Biolage shampoos and conditioners, all UBH products, a few L'Oreal Nature's Thearpy products and on and on and on . . . other things I don't use anymore or have otherwise discarded). Good thing is that I think I've settled on a set of products and routine . . . which should bring the shopping sprees to an end (or so I hope . . .).
wink.gif

I have no idea.
crazy.gif
However, from October 20, 2003 to December 31, 2003, I won't be spending a cent on hair care products.

Allandra..I only wish I could be that strong...I don't want to attempt to answer this post. I would like to remain in denial.
fallenangel.gif

My hair is pretty cheap. Yesterday I went and spent about 55 dollars on my hair, but that's the most I spent since I went natural in March of this year. Before then, I didn't have a product in my arsenal that was more than 4 dollars. So.....at this point, about 70 dollars (including picks, brushes, and scarves). I won't be buying anything for a while so I think I'm doing pretty good.

I cant even try to answer this question toooo much.
angeldevil.gif
I am on the hair product
challenge and with so much restraint.

I'm not sure any more. I mean I've been buying more products since washing my hair more often (so I run out faster) and I admit, during the summer I was buying new stuff to try before I ran out of what I already had. But I don't think I really spend THAT much money on hair. Like $100 a year or something. I might buy $15-20 worth of stuff at once, but then I won't need to buy anything for at least the next month.

For fun, this past summer, I decided to sit and calculate how much I'd spent on hair products, accessories, styling tools etc since going natural (almost 3 yrs ago, at that time). I calculated over $300 - excluding braiding costs and hair extensions. I was pretty surprised because I wasn't expecting a figure that high, but the purchases really do add up. Anyhow, I'm much less of a pj now, and I'm so happy to finally be "settling down"
smile.gif

Prior to joing the LHCF, I spent approximately $95.00 every 8 weeks on relaxer touch-ups and trims. Color highlighting, which I received twice, cost approximately $30.00 more. Add $60.00 every three-four months for hair maintenance products, and there you have it.

As a LHCF member, however, I have spent approx. $200.00 thus far, including my new hood dryer, and various products at Sally's, Trade Secret, and the Internet.

I think, however, that I have purchased all of the hair maintenance products I will need for the time being. However, I am contemplating a flat iron, as well as a conditioning heat cap (Hee Hee).

Christmas *is* coming, isn't it?

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Too Friggin Much!!
blush.gif
But I'm worth it
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said ...
clap.gif

Ballet Bun ...
rosebud.gif

Since joining Allandra's No Products challenge, I haven't spent a cent. I think this is the first hair care challenge I've entered that's gotten my husband really excited.
laugh.gif
Also, because God is a comedian, my sister-in-law handed me a gift certificate to Trade Secret yesterday.
smirk.gif
...must....stay....strong....

[ QUOTE ]
Nyambura said:
Since joining Allandra's No Products challenge, I haven't spent a cent. I think this is the first hair care challenge I've entered that's gotten my husband really excited.
laugh.gif
Also, because God is a comedian, my sister-in-law handed me a gift certificate to Trade Secret yesterday.
smirk.gif
...must....stay....strong....

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My hair care costs are not that much although I must say I've spent more since I've joined this board. However, I too am on the products challenge. All of the new suggestions I see are now going on a special Christmas list for myself.

If anyone really wants to know the dollar amount, check out pp. 357 - 364 of October InStyle (with Ashley Judd on the cover). The article is entitled, "What Price Beauty?" and provides several charts, broken down by category, where you itemize your expenditures (and you get to compare and contrast with Molly Sims', the supermodel's, expenditures; her yearly total, from head to toe: $12,142). The last page, 364, has the hair expenditure chart. InStyle was betting that everyone who filled in the charts would be surprised at what they saw. There's nothing like writing it all out in black and white.
smile.gif

ETA: Molly Sims yearly hair care costs: $4,354 (mostly on cuts and color but quite a bit on conditioners too - I see she is a fan of Kerastase Masquintense).

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
My hair care costs are not that much although I must say I've spent more since I've joined this board. However, I too am on the products challenge. All of the new suggestions I see are now going on a special Christmas list for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.
smile.gif

I'd guesstimate that I've spent about $500-600 on hair since I started relaxing 6 months ago in April. I had a relaxer applied to my big virgin afro for $80, 3 $65 touchups (every other month), and 3 random $35 rollersets in between. I bought some cheap and some expensive products, and ordered vitamin supplements online as well as in person at Vitamin Shoppe and World. I've ordered hair claws and pins online. I got a bonnet dryer and a blow drier and a Jilbere shower comb from Sally's.

I'm loving my length, but I'm also kinda burned out on hair care. Until tonight, I hadn't bothered to even wet my hair during the two weeks since my last touchup. I was discouraged a bit when I couldn't space out my relaxers as far as I'd hoped due to tangles. Tonight I'm trying Biolage and getting back in the saddle.

I have not had a touch up since May 2003. So from May back to January, I would say roughly about $800 or $900 on relaxers, weekly washes, and other hair products from the salon including tips. Since LHCF, I've spent about $250 or $300 in hair products and vitamins, including the wig I am now wearing.

Tons!!! And there are more things I want to try. I figure that once I establish a complete regimen then the cost will be far less with the occasional splurge on new items. I always say that I am going to use up what I have, but then I end up buying something else. But I have been giving some things away and that makes me feel better but also gives me an excuse to get more lol.

After reading these posts all I have to say is OMG!!
I think we spend way too much on products and vitamins that are pretty much delivering empty promises.

I bought most of my products simply because members on the board rave about what it did for their hair! So I have Lust, mizani, dudley's and a lot of everything else just sitting there because: A. it did DIDDLY SQUAT or B. There just isn't enough time in a day to try out all these products!!

I can support a child on my yearly hair care costs!! I need to rethink this...

by the what should I do with the 5 bottles of vitamins that I'm not using?

yYou know what you are so right crownnglori. I use the money I would have spent on the hostess cupcakes (I luv em) and twinkies on the cheaper hair products that I want to try.

[ QUOTE ]
SweetNic_JA said:
I think we spend way too much on products and vitamins that are pretty much delivering empty promises.

I bought most of my products simply because members on the board rave about what it did for their hair! So I have Lust, mizani, dudley's and a lot of everything else just sitting there because: A. it did DIDDLY SQUAT or B. There just isn't enough time in a day to try out all these products!!

[/ QUOTE ]

SO TRUE...
smile.gif
Also, I hate to think of it this way, but when we buy all these shampoos & conditioners, we are literally putting money "down the drain"... Spending money on something that is getting washed right down the sink, and who knows really, if these expensive products are benefiting our hair better than the $2.00 conditioners???

The beauty business (and NOT just haircare, but skin care, cosmetics, etc.) is a racket!!!
crazy.gif

Well since October of last year, I've spent about $200 dollars on hair products (including new blowdryer, flatiron, additional rollers, claw clips, ouchless rubberbands, silk pillowcases(2), a new scarf, and of course, shampoo and conditioner refills).

Back