• $21 - $50

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • $51 - $75

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • $76 +

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

naturalmanenyc

I booked an appointment today for a trim at a new salon Him & Her in Bed Stuy, Brooklyn but backed out when I asked for pricing. The receptionist walked over to ask and came back to tell me it was $100. I was told they need to blow dry my natural hair to do the trim although I was leaving the salon with curly hair. My last trim was a freebie at a new salon and it was not a full trim, just the V of my blowout was clipped.

When I had my hair blown out at Hair Rules a while back ($55 or so for the "Express blow out") the trim was an additional $85. I did not let them trim my hair.

So, how much is a trim these days?

ETA: I went to Supercuts. $18.76 with tax + tip.:grin:

I blew out my hair first since I figured I needed it straight to get a trim. I filmed it: http://youtu.be/amyPYi3nAOg

Last edited:
I think a trim/cut is30 most places I've seen . But by the time you add all the other services : wash, condition, blow dry, flat iron,etc it is comes to 80-100.

The best trims I ever had was when I blew out my own hair and went to hair cuttery. 10+tip

At the dom salons, an extra $5-$10. If I go to a black hair salon I'd expect a trim to be an additional $30, I think at Evolution they charge at least an extra $30 on top of services when I went. My friend w/ wsl thick curly hair goes to a high end type black salon and her stylist charges her an extra $30 to trim her hair.

free... my boo is a barber. as long as I blow out out he can do the trim. (He could blow it out, but that's asking to much when he has paying customers waiting)

all of that to say, consider going to a barber. it's cheaper, should know how to cut straight hair and you don't have to worry about heat damage because you do that part yourself.

Wow that much for a trim! I go to black salons and they charge me an extra $10 on top on my wash,dc,press,and curled which comes up to $50.

free, id do them myself. but $5 when i was going to the dominicans and some of them do a pretty good job

I don't know how to handle my fringe so right now I'm paying £10 or £15 every 4-6 weeks but I'm trying to educate myself with tutorials so I can take ALL of my hair into my own hands.

A few months ago, I was gullible enough to think that a stupidly high price = perfect results but that's not true. In fact, I will never pay to have my hair done ever again. :yep: They detangled my hair with a fine tooth comb, used some fancy but drying shampoo + junk filled conditioner, dragged on my scalp (actually jerking my neck back!!) and then use high heat with less than gentle brushes. I could actually hear my hair snapping and breaking. And this was at some high falutin' place with celebrity clients! Did I mention that my left side is BSL and my right is APL? At least I got some OJ and a truffle for my troubles. :lol:

I cut my own into a U shape for free now and it's prettier.

It increases with length. I've been going to 2 places since I've been on my hair journey and both places charged me 15 dollars more once I hit APL. I'm closing in on BSL now and haven't been in a while, but I assume I am at the 30 dollar mark now... Started at 10 dollars and shoulder length.

I can not believe these prices that I am seeing. I have not been to a salon in yrs and there is no way I am going to spend that kind of money and they are not going to cut it the way they should on curly hair. curly hair should be cut curly not blown out. take your time and trim a hair at a time it will take a while until you get use to it but you can do it.

It increases with length. I've been going to 2 places since I've been on my hair journey and both places charged me 15 dollars more once I hit APL. I'm closing in on BSL now and haven't been in a while, but I assume I am at the 30 dollar mark now... Started at 10 dollars and shoulder length.

[The following questions aren't necessarily directed at anyone, in particular. Just venting lol. But if anyone knows the rationale behind any of the answers, do let me know! These questions have plagued me for years.]

Why would the cost of a trim increase with hair length? Barring serious hair damage that needs more trimming (which can happen in both short and long hair, by the way), aren't you cutting the same amount regardless of the hair length?

Also, how laborious is it to trim? It's not like any expensive products are being used. These prices are just ridiculous. The salon I frequent asks for $15 and I still think that's much. I've seen a salon that charged $80 and unless that $80 includes a wash, blow dry, and flat iron that's just plain highway robbery! I don't even want to imagine how much a cut would be. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Free. I've been doing them myself for the past 3 years. Charging so much for a trim is ridiculous - a haircut maybe.

You know what though? You're cutting something off of me? I'm gonna need you to pay me :rolleyes:

Free, I do them myself. The last time I did go, years ago, it was like $10-15 at Supercuts; and they do a much better job than any salon. The trims are actually trims.

$28 at JcPennys

Dag they went up! I haven't been there in 5-6 years. The last time I was there a cut was $20, I forgot how much a trim was. I haven't got a professional trim in 3 years, but then it was $5 at a Dominican salon. I now do it myself. I learned how to do it from you tube.

I forgot to add the best trim I ever got was at Hair Cuttery for $12. I told the yt stylist I only wanted a trim. She looked so relieved and homegirl could cut some hair. I went to faithful until one day she disappeared from the salon. I was crushed.

Last edited:
Five dollars, last time I was in a salon was like two years for a trim and like everyone else I felt they cut too much

Last edited:
Back