Votes: 3 0.6%
  • half dollar amount

Votes: 76 14.6%
  • more than a palm full

Votes: 443 84.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clever

I was reading in an article from an expert on hair care and it said you should only be using about a nickel sized amount of conditioner after shampooing:ohwell:

How much are you all using?

eta:It said "you don't want to overuse conditioner...when you use an excessive amount of conditioner,you can't wash it all off the hair.It falls to the scalp and creates a dry scalp problem"

This was in a "winter manual"

Last edited:
My hair would laugh at me if I came at with a nickel sized amount of conditioner :lol:

I use alot of conditioner. I would say the equivalent of 1.5-2oz each wash.

I was reading in an article from an expert on hair care and he said you should only be using about a nickel sized amount of conditioner after shampooing:ohwell:

How much are you all using?

:lachen::lachen::lachen:..yeah ok. a nickel sized amount wouldn't even cover the front of my head. A large head plus a lot of hair does not equal small amount of conditioner. Usually I will fill my palm with conditioner and appply it to my hair. Now that I am almost 6 months post I need 2 palms full of conditioner.

I know I use waaay too much, but I'm heavy handed with everything. A nickle sized amount though just wouldn't do it for me. That's waaay too little. I probably use about 1/4 a bottle per wash.

How are we supposed to cut through our type 3 and 4 tangles with an amount of conditioner equal in size to ANY coin? I may not use a whole palm full but--well, I probably do.

I have not the SLIGHTEST idea what we're 'posed to do with a nickel sized amount.Just like kewlkat said,I use up to 1/4 of the bottle:lachen:

How are we supposed to cut through our type 3 and 4 tangles with an amount of conditioner equal in size to ANY coin? I may not use a whole palm full but--well, I probably do.

My thoughts exactly. If I used a nickel amount, I might as well skip that step according to my hair:smirk:

My natural 4a hair requires a quarter size per 2 inches of sections of hair! Anything less and my hair laughs at me!

I hate when "experts" say that you should only use a nickel size amount because that don't do crap for my hair. The one time I got stupid and actually tried it my hair felt like I never even put conditioner on it in the first place!:nono: It was horrible! Put a handful or more on your hair that way you have more of a chance of leaving a little bit in :grin:

I probably use about a quarter sized amount of oil, moisturizer and conditioner. But that may be because I already have a really bad dry scalp problem. This has helped me come a long way as far as that. I think that the article is right. But that's just my opinion. It's not the popular opinion, but hey...:look:

ETA: I also gently massage it in REALLY well.

I probably use about a quarter sized amount of oil, moisturizer and conditioner. But that may be because I already have a really bad dry scalp problem. This has helped me come a long way as far as that. I think that the article is right. But that's just my opinion. It's not the popular opinion, but hey...:look:

ETA: I also gently massage it in REALLY well.
You're not the first person around here who believes that less is more--Macherieamour comes to mind.

Umm... maybe that amount works for someone with 1a, very short hair.

Me, I use however much it takes. Usually about a handful for conditioning and 2-3 handfuls for CO washing. Why struggle...

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses a lot of conditioner..I am conditioning now and was thinking does everyone have to use this much? good Thread!!:yep:

I keep adding more until I actually see the conditioner in my hair. I don't want to waste time missing spots. I am now searching for gallon sizes of my fav products!!!!!!:grin:

I don't know why these "experts" think that they can give an accurate dose of conditioner for all types & lengths of hair. I know that last year when my hair was very damaged, I was using more conditioner. My hair just drank it up & I started adding oils to stretch it. But now that my hair is in much better shape I use less. I make 4 sections & apply about a quarter to 1/2 dollar amount to each quarter section. :yep:

I don't use as much as a palm size amount, but I know for sure I don't use a nickel size amount and I have fine hair. I like a good coating on my hair because it likes to tangle.

I use way more than a nickel size.

The only person's who head I can condition with a nickel size of conditioner is Barbie (and even then it's a stretch).

If I tried to use a nickel size amount, my hair would be like

:huh:...........:lachen:............:angry2:

When I co-wash, I just dump a bunch of conditioner on my hair. I don't know how much, probably like 3 or 4 handfuls :ohwell: I like to have my hair nice and coated :yep:

i use enough to coat my ends and then i move up the hair shaft and work it in. Usually about a 1/4 cup of conditioner

I use $10 worth of nickle size amounts...... I was just thinking this since I just put some conditioner in my hair....I think I need more conditioner because I am natural..it takes a lot to get sround all those napps and coils!!!!

I use about two fifty cent pieces in the palm of my hand. Of course the longer my hair gets, the more I need. Since my hair has gotten longer, it now gets more tangled after washing. The conditioner I use is a good detangler.

Given my hair’s thickness and length, I use more than a palm full when I co-wash and when I deep condition. Those hair “experts” don’t know what there are talking about….next! :lachen:

The only person's who head I can condition with a nickel size of conditioner is Barbie (and even then it's a stretch).

:lachen:
I can't imagine limiting myself to a nickel-size application of conditioner either! I definitely use at least a palm's worth.

Back