How many times this year will you relax?

The crown area only once and the back area none. I just went one year of not relaxing (I'm actually at 13 months of not relaxing (except for a test section that I have been monitoring with a lye relaxing)) currently. If I stop being lazy I will relax and correct in April.

karezone said:
Which relaxer do you use?

Can you pm me your regimen?

My stylist relaxes my hair and even though it sound stupid, I don't know what the name of it is. She's been using it on my hair since forever, though and I think it's pretty good.

I'll pm you.

I plan on relaxing four times this year, every three months. Which is great for me because I used to get a touchup every 4-6 weeks. Hopefully next year I'll be able to stretch to every four months.

I will only relax twice this year. I have retouched in Jan already. My 26 week stretch makes the next one in July, and again in Jan 06. There are 52 weeks in a year, so every 26 weeks is only twice a year. I agree with Sherrylove...it can be done, I believe, if you keep the hair well conditioned and work carefully with it.

What I would like to know is, what is the point of stretching your relaxer unless your hair is damaged/overprocessed? My hair is neither but I don't really quite understand the reason for doing it if your hair is perfectly healthy. :confused: Does it make your hair grow faster or what?

Inquiring minds want to know. :look:

brownhaired_bonanza said:
What I would like to know is, what is the point of stretching your relaxer unless your hair is damaged/overprocessed? My hair is neither but I don't really quite understand the reason for doing it if your hair is perfectly healthy. :confused: Does it make your hair grow faster or what?

Inquiring minds want to know. :look:

For me, my hair remains a lot thicker and healthier, because with more new growth, you have a decreased chance of overlapping the relaxer on previously relaxed hair. It just healthier in general for my hair and scalp to wait longer.

I used to relax every 8 weeks and with my last relaxer (last week) I went 12 weeks. So that comes out to about 4 times a year. I'm looking forward to giving my hair a break!

Jewell said:
For me, my hair remains a lot thicker and healthier, because with more new growth, you have a decreased chance of overlapping the relaxer on previously relaxed hair. It just healthier in general for my hair and scalp to wait longer.

Well, that does make sense. Didn't think about it that way. :look:

Jewell said:
I will only relax twice this year. I have retouched in Jan already. My 26 week stretch makes the next one in July, and again in Jan 06. There are 52 weeks in a year, so every 26 weeks is only twice a year. I agree with Sherrylove...it can be done, I believe, if you keep the hair well conditioned and work carefully with it.

Isn't that twice a year? or at least once one year and twice the next?

Jewell said:

I'm not sure I understand your question, Senimoni... :look: I relaxed in Jan 05. I will relax in July 05. I will relax in Jan 06. I will relax in July 06. That is twice a year, and not one and twice the next. ;)

Last edited:
Jewell said:
I'm not sure I understand your question, Senimoni... :look: I relaxed in Jan 05. I will relax in July 05. I will relax in Jan 06. I will relax in July 06. That is twice a year, and not one and twice the next. ;)

I'm sorry I thought you said you relaxed "ONCE" a year not "ONLY Twice"...don't ask how I got that confused.

I didn't plan it, but I'm only relaxing once this year. I think from here on out it'll be twice a year though. :)

Let's see. . . I relaxed in February, and now I'm in braids. I keep the braids in for 3 months at a time and will probably keep it braided all year, so that means I'll probably relax 3 more times for the year.

I have already relaxed once this year in January and will probably relax 3 more times. I shoot for once a season.

okay i have a quick question how do you care for your hair such as edges and new growth during the time that you are stretching out your relaxers...are u getting domican blowouts then? or what about extend a perm i saw that in the store....

bluediamond0829 said:
okay i have a quick question how do you care for your hair such as edges and new growth during the time that you are stretching out your relaxers...are u getting domican blowouts then? or what about extend a perm i saw that in the store....

I've completely eliminated heat and blowouts are a big no no for me. I'm 4b and I stretch 3 months. I found that the best thing to do for my edges and new growth while stretching, especially between week 9 to 12, is to LEAVE THEM ALONE. I wash and rollerset once a week and that's pretty much the only time I handle my new growth, I leave strictly alone the rest of the time until the next wash. I do not comb or brush, just use my hand to smooth and that's it. This works well for me because I don't try to wear my hair bone straight or sleek nor do I try to blend or straighten my roots, I just aim for soft and smooth. Also, I don't mind the "height" from the new growth (I like big hair!) Stretching has really worked for me.

I think folks who like the super straight, sleek, every hair lying down look have problems stretching because of the manipulation and various products required to "control" the new growth

Back