How many strands a day do you lose?

Rate your hair experience with Relaxers:

• Total voters

iCandey

I am asking because I finger comb my hair yet I still seem to lose about 20 strands a day and want to know if this is abnormal or not.

I don't comb my hair every day, so it's hard to tell. And by the time I comb it in the shower after having it in a twistout for five days, I get a golf-ball size amount of hair (If I wrap all of the hair into a ball). So I don't know what my strand count is, but I definitely do lose some hair!

It really just depends...if I haven't combed or detangled my hair in days, then I have about a half dollar sized amount if I were to ball it all up.

I selected 'I Don't Know' because I never count my strands (since it's nothing alarming from looking at them).

Well for me hardly any. After I go to my stylist she puts some Jamaican deep conditioner in my hair and uses Dudley Special oil and I have no breakage. In fact when I start seeing too many strands then I get worried.

[ QUOTE ]
Shawn said:
I think that it is average to lose far more than 25 strands per day.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. whether you comb or not you are going to shed because you are growing new hair every day. i would say at least anywhere from 40-100 strands depening on your hair density.

I'd read that before, that losing 50-100 strands per day is normal. I used to lose a lot of hair when I was combing everyday, but when I started wearing syles that didn't have to be combed everyday I started losing maybe like 10 strands in a week. Styles that require less manipulation (curls, waves, rollersets, etc...) significantly cut down on the shedding. Using a seamless comb from tenderheaded.com has reduced the shedding as well.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A_Christian said:
I'd read that before, that losing 50-100 strands per day is normal. I used to lose a lot of hair when I was combing everyday, but when I started wearing syles that didn't have to be combed everyday I started losing maybe like 10 strands in a week. Styles that require less manipulation (curls, waves, rollersets, etc...) significantly cut down on the shedding. Using a seamless comb from tenderheaded.com has reduced the shedding as well.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA.

Also, hair shedding can be impacted by medication or hormonal changes.

I don't count my strands either but I pay attention to see if hair comes out in the comb in the shower or afterwards. Now that I conditioner wash everyday, I seem to be losing less hair. About 25 it seems like.

During a regualr day I lose very, very little hair. About 10 hairs at the most.

On a wash day I lose about 30.

I'm not sure, because I keep my hair braided up most of the time. But on wash day when I comb, it's like the size of a small bouncy ball. Certainly nothing to be alarmed about.

It's perfectly normal to <font color="blue">shed </font> hairs everyday, and most of us lose about 50-100 strands everyday. If not, we would never grow new hair.
smile.gif

That said, <font color="blue">breakage </font> is a very different matter, that is what we should worry about.
I shed maybe around 50 strands a day (just estimating) and that makes a huge ball of hair when I comb or detangle. I have very little breakage, though, maybe 3-4 short pieces of hair every time I comb. When I just finger brush I have no breakage.

http://www.hairdoc.com/book/chapter2.html

Well my issue is a little different. I notice that when I blow dry my hair I lose a lot of strands. A little smaller than a ping pong ball of hair. During the week when I comb with my seamless comb/or fingers I don't lose enough strands to count. I am concerned about the number of strands that I lose when I blow dry. Any suggestions?

I have been airdrying lately, and then I blow dry on low, I lose half as much hair that way. But is there anything else I should try? By the way I have natural hair...

When i comb once a week i lose about the size of a gumball. If i go 2 or more weeks without combing i lose a small golf ball size amount of hair.

[ QUOTE ]
alira said:
I lose ~15 per day. I truly believe my comb contributes to this. I really need to change combs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alira, I ordered a seamless comb from tenderheaded.com, and I have had FAR less shedding/breakage since. HTH
smile.gif

I usually lose about 10-20 hairs a day. If it's a wash day, then probably 50-70.

thanks everyone. I see that I am normal...I will also look into the seamless comb and I have noticed that rinsing/ co washes every day has reduced shedding ....

Thanks to this thread as well...I see that I lose a normal amount of hair strands as well (about 5-10 a day).

i lose strands every time i touch my hair when i wear it down... very sad...
nono.gif
i think it looks just as thick as ever though so i try not to worry about it anymore. i also stopped counting and saving hairs. it was bad, yall...
cry3.gif

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
i lose strands every time i touch my hair when i wear it down... very sad...
nono.gif
i think it looks just as thick as ever though so i try not to worry about it anymore. i also stopped counting and saving hairs. it was bad, yall...
cry3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hearing this from you and after seeing your album THOUSANDS of times...I'm much less worried about how much hair I lose!
grin.gif

Good post Poohbear. I was really depressed thinking I would never reach my hair goal because I was estimating mine around 30-40 strands per day. Combing hair in the morning and again at night when applying the surge or other daily moisturizer. Now that I see that I'm somewhere in the normal range, I feel a lot better about reaching my goals.

I selected "I don't know" because I haven't counted. I comb every 3 days on wash day and what I see in my comb isn't very much at all. My styles don't require combing so I rarily shed any daily although I read that 50-100 hairs are normal to lose daily.

I loose a lot of hair, sometimes a whole handful whenever I wash my hair but it's nothing unusual it's always been that way ever since I was a kid. I guess I shed a lot.

I lose way more than 25 :lol:
Half of you would lose your mind if you saw what I lose.. But its not scary to me, its just normal :)

Back