How many ladies have gone the organic/paraben free route???

Have you gone the organic/paraben free route??

• Yes

Votes: 67 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 64 48.9%

• Total voters

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,

I'm thinking about trying to use as many organic/paraben free products as possible. I just came from Carol's Daughter and picked up $75 worth of stuff. I don't think I can give up my Humecto though:perplexed :perplexed .

Anyway I'm just wondering how many women are going that route? Also what products are you using?? Are any of you relaxed? If so, have you found a relaxer that is paraben free? or do you just let that be the one paraben free product that you use?

Let me know thanks :)

I have gone that route

1. what products are you using?? - Lol, long list:
Aubrey Organics ( i have all the conditioners). I add honey to them.
Burts Bees Rosmary Shampoo Bar
JASONS biotin conditioner and sea Kelp Shampoo
Gary Nulls Heavenly Hair Shampoo
Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner (love this stuff)
Unrefined Shea Butter

2. Are any of you relaxed? - I am relaxed. I use Phyto. I doubt that is is paraben free but i never checked.

3. Do you just let that be the one paraben free product that you use? - I have Aveda Damage Recovery Shampoo. Im not too fond of how the natural shampoos make my hair feel so i use this every now and then

Last edited:
I've been paraben free for a while now. I will say it wasn't easy to switch because once I made a commitment to not using products with parabens, my options in an ordinary BBS or drug store were GREATLY reduced. It seemed like parabens were in EVERYTHING.

You sort of have to stick with it and try different things to see what works for you. It took me a while, but I definitely found products that worked on my hair. But then, although I am up for trying a lot of things, I don't use a lot of products on my hair on a day to day basis.

I have used many different natural products and change up from time to time. Over time I've tried/used: Aubrey Organics, Kiss My Face, Nature's Gate Organics, GothRosary, Earth Science, Castille Soap, natural butters, oils, glycerine + rosewater, honey....

and many more.

Right now, I'm loving AO Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner and honey rinses. I use GPB for very occasional protein treatments. I use coconut oil sparingly and only when my hair is conditioned and soaking wet.

I'm waiting for a delivery from Qhemets, since she no longer uses parabens and everyone raves about the products. Looking forward to trying it.

I am relaxed with affirm (mild), although i doubt it's paraben free. I'm slowly transitioning to paraben free products. So far I've been using Aubrey Organics and giovanni. I'd like to use j/a/s/o/n products but i don't like some of the ingredients.

I try to use more natural products but I have so many products that I know I am not giving up. I know I will never totally go this route. I love Carol's Daughter. (The products that I mentioned that I already use. I think on your last thread)

What did you get???

I started on that route about a month ago...I basically had to quit cold turkey because all the products I used had parabens, alcohols, artificial colors etc. I even had to give up my beloved Infusium 23 leave-in which I absolutely adored, because it had too many ingredients I couldn't pronounce, so I had no idea what they were for. I've basically stopped using Surge because it has parabens, but I love it so much! I'm gonna miss it. Nothing grew my hair like that.

Right now I'm using Earthly Delights Shampoo & Conditioner from Whole Foods, and I like it. I also use a Giovanni leave-in...it's alright, but I miss Infusium. I use pure unrefined shea butter as a moisturizer. I'm still trying to find the right oil for my scalp though. I've been using EVOO on dry hair, and cocnout oil on wet hair, but I don't want to keep using 2 separate oils. I'm thinking of buying some jojoba and use that all the time.

I'm still trying to find a really good deep conditioner. So far I've been using coconut milk, or honey & olive oil, but sometimes I just want one that's already packaged. Anyone have any ideas?

i think im gunna go cold turkey too. im trying to stick with all natural products i notice my hair works/feels beeter with those kinda products.

I'm trying to go the organic/paraben-free route. I use Elucence MB shampoo (great), Qhemet's Amla & Olive heavy cream and the Olive cream detangler (both are awesome!). I also use CD Tui hair smoothie, but I'm gonna stop soon. That product doesn't have parabens, but it has something called DMDM Hydantoin--it works by releasing FORMALDEHYDE in the product to preserve it! :eek: :(

http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/DMDM_hydantoin.html

Letitia said:
I try to use more natural products but I have so many products that I know I am not giving up. I know I will never totally go this route. I love Carol's Daughter. (The products that I mentioned that I already use. I think on your last thread)

What did you get???

I bought:

-Hair Milk- I like this, make my hair feel soft...makes it easier to comb through my new growth.
-Lisa's Elixer- I applied this under my weave after washing...I'm going to give it some more time...to see how much I really like it. It's an oil. I like the ingredients for the most part.
-Hair Balm- I haven't tried this yet...but Jada Pinkett loves this product...so I though I would try it. I think I'm going to apply it under my weave tonight
-Rosemary Shampoo- This lathered well, but I didn't like how it made my hair feel stripped after using it. It wasn't hard to comb through though.:perplexed
- Khoret Amen Leave-in conditioner- I don't like the smell that much. It's hard to tell how moisturizing it is because it's watery not creamy.
-Loc Butter- This is for my boyfriend's dreads...I haven't tried it yet.

My goal is to be paraben/fragrance free by 1/1/07..but i've notice that so many "natural" brands have parabens..I even heard that Carol's Daughter changed her recipes a contain more chemicals..right now I use my own moisturizer & oil mixture and I will be using castille soap to wash my hair..but I'm looking for a conditioner..any suggestions?

I picked up Jason Sea Kelp Conditioner so far I love it. I just purchased an AO shampoo. I haven't used it yet. I found this health food store shopping for wedding dress. I went in and found that they had all of the products I had been looking for including Givonni. I still have Rusk leave in which I am really liking. Wow I was loving my first trip into that store. I even found my protein shakes.

Yeah...that's why I posted this earlier:

bklynwildheart said:
I also use CD Tui hair smoothie, but I'm gonna stop soon. That product doesn't have parabens, but it has something called DMDM Hydantoin--it works by releasing FORMALDEHYDE in the product to preserve it! :eek: :(

http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/DMDM_hydantoin.html
:ohwell:

sherylin123 said:
My goal is to be paraben/fragrance free by 1/1/07..but i've notice that so many "natural" brands have parabens..I even heard that Carol's Daughter changed her recipes a contain more chemicals..right now I use my own moisturizer & oil mixture and I will be using castille soap to wash my hair..but I'm looking for a conditioner..any suggestions?

Yeah Carol's daughter products do contain some chemicals because they need to be better preserved. I don't think the Hair Balm contains any chemical, and the Healthy Hair Butter is the same and Some of Marguerite's magic...i believe.

I have an affirm relaxer. I went the paraben free route simply because I don't know what is causing the rash on my scalp. I figured it was the shampoo. So far no rash breakout again.
I use JASON sea kelp and biotin shampoo and condish. I absolutely love them.

Great thread, I am so into this right now. After 2 years of unexplainable skin conditions by my derm, I decided thats it, so I have been using natural organic skin care products for a few months and with prayer my skin has really turned around. I recently decided to do the same for my hair as much as possible. I am using Giovanni products:

Direct Leave-In
Frizz Be Gone
Magnetic Energizing Shampoo
Magnetic Restruxturing Conditioner
Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
Shampoo Tea Tree Triple Treat
Shine of the Times Finishing Mist
L. A. Natural Styling Gel

I have only used the 1st 4 and my oh my, they were wonderful. I am severly underprocessed and it made the comb just glide through, it was shiny, soft and manageable. I do still use NTM silk touch to detangle after 3 weeks of not combing, I also use ORS relaxer and Rage and React Semi Perm colour and Keracare Essential Oils. I dont plan on giving these up as for me they are necessecites, my main goal was to MINIMIZE the amount of toxins/parabens etc I put in my body/hair overall and I have achevied that and am more than happy with the results. Plus, Giovanni is much cheaper than alot of other brands, but the shipping to the UK is a bomb, however I feel that its worth it.

Oh I love those all natural products..I have a lot of avalon organics conditioners, Jason shamp, Nature's Gate conds.
I have so many shampoos and conditioners..I just have to rotate every once in a while
What I am using now:

Avalon Organics clarifying conditioner with Lemon and Shea butter
Nature's gate Herbal conditioner
Nature's Gate biotin shamp

I want to get Nature's Gate Rainwater Herbal shampoo..when the budget allows

I think someone asked earlier and I would like to know as well..why are parabens harmful? Do the ingredients always say paraben or are they found in other ingredients?

I am way to lazy and broke to go organic/paraben free. I personally do not believe organic/natural products are all that natural or in any way better.

Me...actually I'm on the way...my goal is to go more natural in 2007..not just hair care products but with food & cleaning products

1. what products are you using?
Giovanni whole line, jojoba oil and red palm oil.

2. Are any of you relaxed? - I am relaxed. I use Optimum No lye
I also use Bigen...I only use these products 4x a year so I feel it's ok....also I'm going organic in food/cleaning products so I feel this helps as well.

3. Do you just let that be the one (two) paraben free product that you use?
I'm going to try.

Last edited:
redRiot said:
Can those of you using natural products post links to where these items can be found? thanks in advance!!!
I get my Giovannis from Whole Foods/Wild Oats?Vitamin Shoppe..in the Chicago area

I heard Carol's Daughter had paraben & fragrance..has anyone heard this b/4

How long?
Nov. 16, 2006, will be one year for me

1. What products are you using
- Aubrey Organics Conditioners (I've been using White Camelia, Honeysuckle Rose, and GPB and I plan on additng JAY and Island Natural)
- Aubrey Organics Conditioners( when I first started I was using the matching shampoos, but I'm just going keep one bottle for sporadic use)
- Givionni Smooth as Silk Conditioner (use this for CW and mix it a AO conditiner to deep condition)
- Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner
- Gary Nulls Heavenly Hair Repair
- EVOO
- Honey
- Jojoba oil
- Henna

2. Are any of you relaxed?
I was, until this past May when I big chopped to less that 0.5"

3. Do you just let that be the one paraben free product that you use?
I have some nail polishes (I'm still waiting to use them), but other than that I'm totally paraben free. I really don't think I'll go back to using the other stuff: I spend less money on hair products (compare more than $500 in 2005 to less than $150 in 2006), I feel good taking care of my health, and all my needs are met.

Yes...well...I'm on my way. I'm looking for an organic leave-in conditioner. I'm still using infusium. I tried not using a leave-in once and my hair did not look right. It was a waist of time.

I only use JASONS aloe shampoo, and WGO. Sometimes, I use EVOO before I wash.

All I need is a leave-in and I will be set.

I'm about to purchase a shampoo and a leave-in from Carol's Dauthter...but I think that I'm going to watch Tyra first....I don't know.

Last edited:
I didn't know how to vote. I did the same thing as you. I spent about $90 on products for myself from Carol's Daughter. It is hard as hell. I went to Sally's to get a few things and I feel discouraged to see how that stuff is in everything you buy for your hair. Ultimately my goal is to be paraben free, but it is going to be a while. The transition can be very expensive.

Back