How many ladies have gone the organic/paraben free route???

Have you gone the organic/paraben free route??

• Yes

Votes: 67 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 64 48.9%

• Total voters
i'm transitioning to use organic shampoos and some conditioners but i still have a lot of commercial shampoo that i have to use up first. My faves are TJ castile soap (peppermint), other TJ conditioners, Dr. Woods castille soap and african black soap(http://www.drwoodsproducts.com) ,Unscented Castile soap and conditioner base from http:// www.thechemistrystore.com , shampoo and conditioner base from http://www.camdengrey.com , Shea butter, virgin palm oil, virgin palm kernel oil and african black soap from http://www.agbangakarite.com

That's all i can think of right now. HTH

atlien11 said:
I have gone that route

1. what products are you using?? - Lol, long list:
Aubrey Organics ( i have all the conditioners). I add honey to them.
Burts Bees Rosmary Shampoo Bar
JASONS biotin conditioner and sea Kelp Shampoo
Gary Nulls Heavenly Hair Shampoo
Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner (love this stuff)
great list! need 2 check some of ur stuff out!!!!!!!
i bought the nulls 4 a friend but never tried it myself...

i am a firm believer in "what u put in is what u get out"
my hair,skin and "insides" love organic stuff!
i am natural but i use haircolor and although it is 1 of the more natural color brands (aveda)
it is still a chemical so i son't need anymore:lol:

i add oils and honey to my cond. & treatments now
i get alot of my hair stuff @ the vitamin shoppe
(i do most of my general needs shopping there & trader joe's)it is so much cheaper than whole foods
and its pretty easy to incorporate these paraben free items or
even just limit them if u really want 2
u just have a more limited supply
which is good cuz it makes me less of a pj

i am also concerned w/ limiting "cones" b/c
although they help w/ smoothing the hair they leave buildup
that's why i stopped using alot of aveda products

i am even more worried about the cheap use of petroleum and mineral oils (parrafin)
it should not be the 1st or 2nd ingredient in our products? :(
in lotions, conditioners, even in shine-proof face powders!
u can get away w/ petroleum on the hair but on the scalp they usually cause more problems than they cure!
they r cheap fillers and they take advantage of the fact that must of us don't know that:mad:
ok enough w/ my rant:D

i love aubrey organics hair products:)
i have tried:
1)b5 gel which defines curls really well but can get crunchy if u use 2 much
2)the gpb -great, just found out there's a gpb shampoo!!
3)island naturals - moisturizing but i needed to use alot of it
4)swimmers shampoo-old formula was better
5)swimmer's conditioner-fabulous!!!
6)the primrose tangle-go - good at smoothing and detangling - i use it 4 braidouts
7)the misst hairspray- so so,smoothing, but i don't think it provides enough hold, but i don't think i need that anymore anyway...
i was worried about the use of alcohol in these 2 products but after some investigation i found out they use natural grain alcohol as an emulsifier

http://images19.fotki.com/v353/photos/1/142678/661389/Picture182-vi.jpg?1161321402
8)i didn't like their facial toners

i need a new shampoo so i will try the aubrey ultra smoothing shampoo
and maybe the moisturizing jelly-always been curious

my hair like the jason sea kelp conditioner alot

used to use a lot of nature's gate shampoos and cond when i 1st went natural; they weren't bad but not 2 memorable

tried the new kiss my face miss treated shampoo: found it to be drying...
have to figure out a way to use it...
the conditioner should be here by next week-maybe that will be better

never liked carol's daughter's products much
tried them when they 1st came out though-2 pricey
but my hair did not like that milk and the butter
i never got the hype...

what i love is that
these natural products actually work well on natural hair! who woulda thunk it!

I didn't make a decision to be paraben free, but I am now anyway. Everything I use on my hair and skin I've made, or I've got from Anita Grant who doesn't use them.
My products- Anita Grant Shampoo Bar, Anita Grant Rhassoul clay cubes. A shea butter and coconut oil blend, and a rosewater, rosemary and peppermint oil spritz.

I have been doing the organic/paraben free route ever since I have been on the forum. I am relaxed. All of the products that I use are in my fotki. The only product I use with cones in it is Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide. I use a very small amount for my rollersets.

I had a good vegan friend that only used organic products. She said, ' Why would I put something ON my body that I wouldn't put IN my body?' good point.

I am currently switching my products over now that I have discovered the wonder and beauty that is OYIN! After my products are gone I'm going to be sticking with OYIN for daily managing and possibly start tapping into the Aveda line because I'm dying to try their sap moss line. It does get quite expensive which is why I'll have my less expensive products for daily styling and my more expensive ones for once a week styling.

The reason I use products with parabens in it because the natural products make my hair feel dry and brittle. CON is the only shampoo that make my hair moist and gives good slip. The natural ones make my hair hard. NTM leave in so far is the only one where the moisture last. The others just sit on top of my hair. My deep conditioner is paraben free and is my daily moisture.

~What products are you using??
Aubrey Organics White Camellia poo & con(just tried this today and so far i'm sold :) think I'll use this when stretching)
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose poo & con (excellent product,will be using this the first few months post relaxer)
Aubrey Organics Gpb
Giovanni Direct Leave In
Qhemet Biologics Moisturisers
Coconut Oil
~Are you relaxed?
Yes
~If so, have you found a relaxer that is paraben free?
No
~Will this be your only paraben free product?
Not sure...:perplexed I'm looking for a heat protecter/serum as well

Last edited:
I tried it for a while but I couldn't keep with it, I try to use organic when I can but the cost and limited products was hard, plus my skin broke out terrible so I had to go back to what worked.

Last edited:
Wow I'm just catching up on this thread. I know I started it but right now I don't know that I can go this route. The carol's daughter shampoo that I tried made my hair super hard and rough feeling until I dumped a half bottle of conditioner on it.

I do want to try other products though like some of the ones listed on this thread.

I haven't, I'm not ready to go that deep yet. I'm just starting out, gotta take baby steps :)

RabiaElaine said:
Anyway I'm just wondering how many women are going that route? Also what products are you using?? Are any of you relaxed? If so, have you found a relaxer that is paraben free? or do you just let that be the one paraben free product that you use?

Let me know thanks :)
Well, as a result of pjism I bought some Avalon Organics (lavendar one). I already used the Dr Bronners Hemp Almond soap, saw it was suggested as a shampoo..tried it and love it. I haven't gone completely yet because I still have a huge bottle of CON that I want to use and some Herbal Essence that I use for a quick fix. I do use hmde oils and butter so that is another step. I didn't think there was a paraben free relaxer...if so please let me know somebody.

I now use only natural products for my haircare and skincare products and avoid products that contain parabens. I am natural and use the following products:

Anita Grants Rhassoul Condish and whipped butters
Aubrey Organics White Camelia shampoos & conditioners and GPB
Spritz: Rosewater, glycerine, aloe vera juice, essential oils, Giovanni Direct leave in
Coconut Oil, shea butter, castor oil

Last edited:
Does anyone use MyHoneyChild products? They are all natural, aren't they? I'm looking for a good natural shampoo that doesn't make my hair feel hard and stripped.

chocolatesis said:
Does anyone use MyHoneyChild products? They are all natural, aren't they? I'm looking for a good natural shampoo that doesn't make my hair feel hard and stripped.

Bumping for responses........

I have...mostly. I'm natural. I use Avalon Organics (shampoos and conditiners), Aubrey Organics (just the GPB conditioner), Burt's Bees (avocado pre-conditinoner), Kiss My Face (the gel), Dr. Bronners (the bomb liquid soap and my new favorite shower gel), Desser Essences (for face wash), Kinky Curly (er natural?), Jessicurl (the Too Shea conditioner which I THINK is pretty natural), Oyin Hamdade (whipped pudding and gel, etc.), and plain old castor oil.

Im leaning towards paraben free products.
Right now Im using aubreys organic gpb conditioner, suaves humectant shampoo (doesnt say any parabens), giovanni direct leave in, natural coconut oil, bert bees tea tree conditioner, burt bees lotion.
I think the only thing that im using that has parabens is the organic relaxer.
Im looking for a relaxer without them but seems like most of them have them.

Last edited:
lonei said:
Great thread, I am so into this right now. After 2 years of unexplainable skin conditions by my derm, I decided thats it, so I have been using natural organic skin care products for a few months and with prayer my skin has really turned around. I recently decided to do the same for my hair as much as possible. I am using Giovanni products:

Direct Leave-In
Frizz Be Gone
Magnetic Energizing Shampoo
Magnetic Restruxturing Conditioner
Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
Shampoo Tea Tree Triple Treat
Shine of the Times Finishing Mist
L. A. Natural Styling Gel

I have only used the 1st 4 and my oh my, they were wonderful. I am severly underprocessed and it made the comb just glide through, it was shiny, soft and manageable. I do still use NTM silk touch to detangle after 3 weeks of not combing, I also use ORS relaxer and Rage and React Semi Perm colour and Keracare Essential Oils. I dont plan on giving these up as for me they are necessecites, my main goal was to MINIMIZE the amount of toxins/parabens etc I put in my body/hair overall and I have achevied that and am more than happy with the results. Plus, Giovanni is much cheaper than alot of other brands, but the shipping to the UK is a bomb, however I feel that its worth it.

im severly underprocessed too and I luv giovanni direct leave in! it makes my newgrowth and underprocessed hair manageable.

Hey Ladies :wave:

I've been on the organic route for about a month now. I've been using mainly AO conditioners (GPB, Honeyshuckle Rose, etc.). The question I have is, since you've been using these organic products have you noticed your hair being a little dry after a few days. My hair will be moist after I first wash it, but then kinda dry after a few days. Does it take a while for the hair to adjust?

Thanks

I voted "yes" but I do use Aveda shampoos sometimes and I don't think they are paraben free however they do use real essential oils and that's a big selling point IMO.

I also like Oyin and Carol's Daughter products.

I don't use parabens in my own products.

I have just purchased Jason Biotin Shampoo & Conditioner.

JASON Natural Biotin Conditioner is a

wonder-working hair nourishing conditioner formulated

with 3 Proteins and Planthenol-3â„¢ to revitalize and help

relieve dry,itchy, flaky scalp, damaged hair and split

ends. Non-oily humectants, vitamins and minerals

energize the scalp and help promote natural, healthy

looking hair.

Shampoo Ingredients
: Aqua (Purified Water), Calendula

Officinalis (Marigold)Flower Extract*, Anthemis Nobilis

(Chamomile) Flower Extract*,Cocamidopropyl Betaine,

Panax Ginseng (Ginseng) Root Extract*, Sodium Myreth

Sulfate, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract*,

CocamideMEA, Biotin, Planthenol-3â„¢ (DL-Panthenol,

Ethyl Panthenol andPantenyl Hydroxypropyl

Steardimonium Chloride), Aloe Barbadensis(Aloe Vera)

Leaf Gel*, Natural Tocopherol (Vit. E), Glycol Stearate,

AscorbylPalmitate (Vit. C), Lavandula Angustifolia

(Lavender) Extract*, DecylGlucoside, Retinyl Palmitate

(Vit. A), Triticum Vulgare (Hydrolyzed Wheat)Protein,

Cyclopentasiloxane and Dimethicone, Vegetable

Glycerin, BenzylAlcohol, Citrus Gradis (Grapefruit) Seed

Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Citric

Acid, Natural Menthol, Fragrance Oil Blend.

Conditioner Ingredients: Aqua (Purified Water), Panax

Ginseng (Ginseng) Root Extract*, Biotin, Emulsifying

Wax, Calendula Officinalis (Marigold) FlowerExtract*,

Stearalkonium Chloride, Anthemis Bobilis )Chomomile)

Flower Extract*, Stearyl Alcohol, Equisetum Arvense

(Horsetail) Leaf Extract*,Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera)

Leaf Gel*, Cyclpentasiloxane and Dimethicone,

Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Triticum

Vulgare (Hydrolyzed Wheat) Protein, Lavandula

Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract*,Glyceryl Stearate,

Planthenol-3â„¢ (DL-Panthenol, Ethyl Panthenol

andPantenyl Hydroxypropyl Steardimonium Chloride),

Natural Tocopherol (Vit E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vit. A),

Linoleic & Linclenic Acid (Vit. F),Oxybenzone, Citrus

Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Sodium

Benzoate,Potassium Sorbate, Natural Menthol,

Fragrance Oil Blend.

I have been using organic/paraben free products since I have started my hair journey. Lately I have been interested in trying some products that are not natural (NTM for example). For some reason, I want to try some different products but not to the point to where I become a PJ. :lol:

Has anyone done this before??? What were your results???

I'm trying to transition to organic and paraben free producs, but I need to find a brand that carries larger amounts of conditioner, not that 11 oz nonsense (thats gone in a week). Does anyone know of anything that comes in liters or gallons that isn't ridiculously priced?

i've decided that i want to go the Organic/Paraben free route. I still have a bunch of old stuff i need to get rid of but today I bought Avalon Organics Lavender shampoo to get started.

nikkivale said:
i've decided that i want to go the Organic/Paraben free route. I still have a bunch of old stuff i need to get rid of but today I bought Avalon Organics Lavender shampoo to get started.
Oww tell me how the Shampoo works, I use the conditioner and love it!

felicia said:
what's so wrong parabeans?
That's the thing - no one really knows for sure.

Test have shown that women with breast cancer have shown a build up of parabens in their cancerous lymphatic nodes (so basically - in the cancerous breast tissue they found traces of parabens). Does that mean parabens cause breast cancer? No. Does that mean parabens contribute to cancer? No. Does it even show any correlation? No.

Many women have dropped sulfates from their skin and beauty regimes because they are industrial strength cleansers that often strip the hair/skin of natural oils and moisture. Some people have sade that sulfates can cause frizziness and dryness in the hair. Who knows.

The interesting thing is there are many other products that people use that are far more dangerous - many of the petroleum (petrolatum) derivatives - propylene gylcol, petrolatum, glycolic acid etc.

There are also many "natural" and "organic" brands that still utilize chemicals. Alba is full of sulfates and parabens. JASONS has glycol in many of their conditioners. At the same time there are many "non-organic" brands that are sulfate AND paraben free. Herbal Essences, Pantene and Tresemme do not have parabens in a couple of their conditioners.

The point: the verdict is still out on what is and is NOT healthy for the hair and skin. Best choice: 100% trial and error.

JustMeSteph said:
Oww tell me how the Shampoo works, I use the conditioner and love it!

I really liked it. For me the key is that you don't need to use so much because its not lathering like most shampoos. I didn't realize this at first and it made it a little hard to wash out, but other than that it made my hair feel clean and it was soft, i think i'll be using this regularly.

i admit i haven't been using all organic products yet. i'm wearing box braids right now and i don't know of any products to use on braided hair. i'm still using infusium 23, brx african royale and surge 14.
any suggestions on organic/paraben free products to use?

I though I would have a hard time going completely paraben free because I use so many conditioners and many of them are cheap (Garnier, Sauve, Aussie, etc), but I checked and they don't contain parabens. The only thing I have is the CON Argan Oil Shampoo and ION Reconstructive Treatment.

In terms of going completely organic, that's harder for me. I can do it with food (almost!), but its harder with hair and skin products. Except for Hugo Conditioners, I don't think I have much though I do have oils that are chemical free. Shea Moisture doesn't count because its not certified despite using the word "organic" on the containers.

Back