How many Clarify their hair WITH OIL?

grow

Hi Ladies!

I've been reading so many stories on clarifying the hair using only oil in so many different threads that I would like to line them all up in a central location.

This is only about CLARIFYING hair with oil....something that is very new to me, so please share as many details as you can, such as:

Which oils do you find clarify the best?

How much oil do you use to thoroughly do the job?

What are your steps for this process?
(do you do this on dry hair, wet hair, before treatments, with acv rinses or without, etc.)

Do you find you need to do this more often than when you clarified using clarifying shampoo or does it last just as long?

Please include any tips you can offer that I haven't asked about yet because this techinique of clarification of the hair is still so new to me!
(differences in the health of your hair, change in your hair's porosity,etc.)

Thank you so much for sharing!

i'm not the best person to ask, lol! but as i understand it, there are oils that when used like a shampoo, meaning slathered on hair and scrunched around the hair and scalp, will actually break down even elements like cones.

i know, it sounds amazing, so i hope the ladies who do this will chime in!

There are those of us who do oil rinsing, oil washing, and oil cleansing (all w/castor oil). Thanks for starting a thread on this, I've been researching it for a while. I also found oil to cleanse the skin/makeup better than any commercial product ever has. I'll chime in more w/links when I get to a computer

thank you, Nasdaq_Diva, but i think there is a difference between the two.

i love love love oil rinsing, but it hasn't yet taken the place of my clarifying poo (giovanni).

as i've understood it (and i'm hope someone will correct me if i've misunderstood), oil rinsing is great for detangling, softening and moisturizing.

whereas clarifying is specifically to remove buildup.

for example, even with regular oil rinsing, i can at times, have crispy ends, which are not split nor damaged.

if there is an oiling technique (via clarifying) specifically to remove whatever keeps that softness from penetrating, i'd love to know!

I like to use coconut oil to take off my makeup and sometimes castor oil to clean my face, but I've never heard of using oil to clean hair.

The closest I can think of to what you're talking about is when people make a paste or tea out of ayurvedic herbs and use it to cleanse their scalps. I think shikakai or reetha and amla is one recipe I've heard of.
Maybe it'd be possible to infuse a carrier oil with those herbs and have a cleansing oil, but I doubt that it would work as a clarifier, just because oil is oily. LOL.

I`ve done the oil cleansing method before on my face, and surprisingly it purifies so well that it makes my skin feel dry. But skin has pores that can be open and closed...I can`t imagine hair, a dead fibre, being cleansed at all with oil, let alone clarified...so bumping for responses...interesting topic :yep:

OP maybe you could tag or mention the members in this thread

Last edited:
This is interesting. I can't wrap my mind around oil being used to clarify. The only oil I can think of that MAY do the job is Tea Tree Oil, because of it's astringent properties. I don't know though.

I can't see oils clarifying cones and such. I can see an oil only regimen of some type working but you would probably have to cut out/minimize cones. I am only thinking out loud but if I did a regimen like this I would clarify using acv and use oils to moisturise, etc.

i know i've read where op's have said they've cleansed even cones off, with oil...though it sounds amazing.

AlliCat, that thing you wrote about the pores on the skin opening and closing has me thinking about the cuticles of the hair because they open (wth heat whle dc'ing, for example) and close (avc, Roux,.... or maybe certain oils?) as well.

my skin has gotten sooooo much better since i've been using the only oil method, too!
it's amazing how well it works!

if oils can remove even waterproof mascara, then i don't doubt they can work for the hair too, i'd just like to be sure with more details...

i know i've read where op's have said they've cleansed even cones off, with oil...though it sounds amazing.

@AlliCat, that thing you wrote about the pores on the skin opening and closing has me thinking about the cuticles of the hair because they open (wth heat whle dc'ing, for example) and close (avc, Roux,.... or maybe certain oils?) as well.

my skin has gotten sooooo much better since i've been using the only oil method, too!
it's amazing how well it works!

if oils can remove even waterproof mascara, then i don't doubt they can work for the hair too, i'd just like to be sure with more details...

That's excatly what I said, if skins pores open and close, then lets not forget that the hairs cuticle layers also open and close through different processes.

Last year I discovered how well oil cleanses skin. I tell ya, I couldn't find anything to really remove the mascara until I discovered oil (castor). Nothing is as tough as mascara and other waterproof makeups. oil just breaks them apart and w/steam/hot water, they rinse off. Amazingly, the skin is so soft and supple afterwards.

Since discovering this, I had been trying to incorporate oil into my hair cleansing and conditioning process. Someone finally directed me to oil rinsing a couple months ago, and that is the best hair advice I have ever received on Lhcf :). from that, I started looking for ways to cleanse w/oil. I found some threads on this here and on other boards (off to find them).

That's excatly what I said, if skins pores open and close, then lets not forget that the hairs cuticle layers also open and close through different processes.

Last year I discovered how well oil cleanses skin. I tell ya, I couldn't find anything to really remove the mascara until I discovered oil (castor). Nothing is as tough as mascara and other waterproof makeups. oil just breaks them apart and w/steam/hot water, they rinse off. Amazingly, the skin is so soft and supple afterwards.

Since discovering this, I had been trying to incorporate oil into my hair cleansing and conditioning process. Someone finally directed me to oil rinsing a couple months ago, and that is the best hair advice I have ever received on Lhcf :). from that, I started looking for ways to cleanse w/oil. I found some threads on this here and on other boards (off to find them).

virtuenow, the part i put in bold made a lightbulb go on in my head.
if i remember correctly, it was exactly the Castor Oil that i had read members saying broke down even the stubborn, hard to remove cones from our hair for easy cleansing/rinsing off with hot water, i suppose much the way it works on even the toughest waterproof mascara.

maybe it has something to do with the elements particular to castor oil?
maybe that, with the "Hot Water" is what creates the cuticle opening up factor, thru which the buildup, like cones, can be rinsed off?

i wish i could remember where i read it and who wrote it so that i could ask them to chime in so we can all get the details of this process because what you wrote reminds me that it depends on which oils are used and even things like the temperature of the water play an important part.

it's a specific techinique and if it can save the feeling of stripping my hair completely that clarifying shampoos give, then i definitely would like to know how to do it.

grow, I wish you would find that thread! I really want to see this. If you give me some more buzz words I'll help search. Why do you feel the need to clarify [so much]? There are plenty of us that don't clarify at all. I don't believe its necessary. Regular shampoo is already stripping enough-- so much that once I came across oil rinses, I stopped w/the shampoos on hair altogether (only shampoo scalp w/long nozzle diluted). My hair feels much more clean now. You will find that you need less products to moisturize hair. In my case, I could finally stop PILING the products to maintain moisture.

You Tuber LuBellaCoils did a video around the holidays where her mom "shampooed" her hair using only mineral oil.
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHhAhI6_YhU

Part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mn2Xb0TfZQ

There is also good info in the comments of both vids. HTH.

grow,
Yes, I was just about to post this. I was thinking about it last night..this HAS to be where you heard of it from. So yes, what she is doing is like an OCM (oil cleansing method) for her scalp. :yep: I OCM my face almost daily...love it love it :lick:

I know that this is an old topic but this did happen to me a few times. I had a braid out style for a few days and I used flaxseed gel to give my hair a good hold with no frizzies. The night before I was ready to wash my hair I used a homemade oil blend of 2:1 shikakai to amla in a base of coconut oil. I oiled my hair and scalp and left it in overnight under a plastic cap.

In the morning when I went to rinse the oil out of my hair I noticed that the oil had dissolved the flaxseed gel in my hair because it rinsed out very clean, whereas usually the flaxseed gel left a gummy layer over my hair until I shampooed it out. It didn't really feel like it needed to be shampooed after that so I just conditioned and detangled. I guess it was the shikakai in the oil because I know amla oil by itself doesn't do that to gel in my hair. I don't think the shikakai oil would dissolve heavy butters or other oils in the hair though. I think just water based products because it naturally has saponins in it, which create a little lathering when mixed with water.

I don't currently use oils in my hair anymore because it is fine and gets too weighed down so I don't have any long term experience with this method. I just did this to my hair like 2 or 3 times when I used flaxseed gel.

HTH :)

I believe that both shikakai and amla are cleansing powders so maybe it was actually the powders that did the cleansing

SimJam well I infused shikakai and amla powders into the oil to create it, but once the herbs have infused into the oil all of the powder is filtered out. So there wasn't actually powder in the oil, but the oil soluble parts of the herbs are left in the oil. Those are the parts that I was taking about that caused the cleansing action. It sounds confusing, but that is what I meant :)

I cleanse regularly with oil. Oil is a great cleanser because oil breaks down oil, and leaves your hair moisturized rather than stripped. This is one of the reasons I think prepooing is so great- not just for the moisture, but for the cleansing benefits. I have had to clean wax (including emulsifiers found in almost all conditioners) out of my hair so many times, and oil was very effective for this.

I think all oils have some cleansing properties (the "slip" helps dirt, wax, buildup move out of the hair). EVOO is known to be a great cleansing oil. I've heard of (but not tried) mineral oil as a good cleanser. I know that castor is very cleansing for the skin- makes sense that others use it as a cleansing oil.

When I want to deep clean/deep condition, I add EVOO to my normal EVCO prepoo, lightly oil rinse for a min or two, then wash as normal.

You need to remove the oil, IMO, because it has scooped up the buildup, and now you need to get it out! I use Terresentials mud cleanser after, though, since I want something to remove the oil. You can also try oil rinsing (basically just rinsing the hair in warm water with a bunch of oil in it for several minutes, until the oil is out. A cleansing ACV rinse would work too. Another option would be putting a bit of shampoo in an applicator bottle, add water, and just use on the scalp, allowing it to lightly clean the oil out as it rinses out. Others have added oil to their shampoo: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063

Great thread!

Last edited:
There are those of us who do oil rinsing, oil washing, and oil cleansing (all w/castor oil). Thanks for starting a thread on this, I've been researching it for a while. I also found oil to cleanse the skin/makeup better than any commercial product ever has. I'll chime in more w/links when I get to a computer

virtuenow Can you specify which kind of oil does the best makeup removal in your experience? Thanks.

Back