how manageable is your hair?

coilygirl

Questions: for the relaxed and the natural:

How manageable is your hair? How do you define manageability?

My answer
The big surprise in my life: My hair is quite manageable. The length is almost bra-strap and my hair is kinky, nappy and wavy. (I have too many textures for Andre's limited scale).

Once I learned the basic rules of my hair, I've discovered that my hair is manageable and just fun.

My rules:

1. Only comb or brush the hair when it is wet
2. Less manipulation and lots of moisture
3. Daily condition wash or rinse; but avoid most commercial shampos, which eat, harden and destroy my hair

I wear my hair in twists and braids. And after the initial time investment to create twists and braids, it's really wash and go.

Very manageable.

What are your hair rules?

Happy Holidays to all,
coilygirl

[ QUOTE ]
coilygirl said:
My rules:

1. Only comb or brush the hair when it is wet
2. Less manipulation and lots of moisture
3. Daily condition wash or rinse; but avoid most commercial shampos, which eat, harden and destroy my hair

[/ QUOTE ]

I follow the same rules (my hair is relaxed). Happy Holidays to you too, Coilygirl!

Questions: for the relaxed and the natural:

What about the transitioners?
frown.gif
I guess u don't want our input
cry3.gif

Manageable to me means that I can easily create a soft, touchable hairstyle that looks "neat". I don't want my hair sticking up or going off in 20 different directions.
nono.gif

My hair's natural as well. I think once I got down the basic rules, just like in your case, I found out how simple my routine needs to be. My rules:

1. Create styles that go along with my hair texture rather than those that require a high degree of manipulation to achieve (braid-outs don't fit into the latter category because they work well with my built-in *curl-setters*
smile.gif
)

2. Manipulate hair only when wet.

3. Moisture is key! Seal in moisture with an oil.

4. Four products are sufficient for all of my hair's needs.

hey coilygirl,

i'm natural too.
weird.gif

my hair is also VERY manageable. once i found the products that work for me, i can easily narrow down everything that i need for my hair into 5 or less products. it's wonderful to be able to say that . . . if only i could curb this PJ thing, LOL.

i define manageability by the ease with which one can manipulate, style, and adorn their hair. in my opinion, my hair is very easy to manage when i look at it from that stand point.

my hair rules:

1. only run my fingers through/comb/brush my hair while wet.
bath2.gif

2. ALWAYS keep a ready supply of at least 1-2 products with me - especially while traveling back and forth to school and home - for emergency situations.

3. no hair color.
naughty.gif

4. eat right.
fat.gif

5. take my vitamins.
smile.gif

Relaxed - \ Manageable and EASILY manageable. Easily manageale to me is the ability to quickly comb and sytle the hair.

I wash, detangle and put in a ponytail to dry.

My relaxed hair is pretty manageable. I too comb only when wet (no brushing though) and keep it in a bun or French Twist. I wash usually every 3 days and keep that moisture sealed in.
smile.gif

I think my hair is surprisingly manageable now. I've cut down to 2 products, only comb it while it's wet, and wear a braid-out until the next wash. Why couldn't I have figured this out sooner?
hammer.gif

I had to look up "manageable" in the dictionary before I could reply..."capable of being controled"

hmmmm....I think my natural hair has managed me...it is going to be kinky, coily, curly, frizzy...I have learned to love the natural way it is going to be...my hair tells me what it likes...no poo, shea butter, lots and lots of water...I succumb to it every time...just when I think I am going to wear a slammin twist out...my hair says..."nope...not today...go get the headband...AND LIKE IT!!!"...I just roll with the punches.

My hair is texturized and is really not managable since I define managable as hair you can comb through in ten minutes or less. Mine takes about an hour and tangles very easily. But the fact that it's not straight maks it stronger.

[ QUOTE ]
just when I think I am going to wear a slammin twist out...my hair says..."nope...not today...go get the headband...

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminded me of one naturallycurly.com's "Ten Commandments of Curly Hair"--

Thou shalt take joy in the surprise of each day's hairstyle.

laugh.gif

I like this topic!

I'm a natural, and I've found that my hair is pretty manageable, after all. I can wash, comb, and style on one day in about an hour and a half. And then I'm good to go for the rest of the week with minimal effort.

Like you all have stated, the key to my hair is also using plenty of conditioner and only combing out while wet.

But to my surprise, I have found that over time (the last six months or so) my hair has gotten easier and easier!! If I wear my braidouts for about five days and then jump in the shower, my hair is still basically untangled when I get out the shower because it never had a chance to get tangled in the first place!

Just today I was thinking about how much I love my hair now. I remember back in the day I used to covet curly/wavy hair on Hispanic ladies. Shoot, now I've got my own wavy full hair. I ain't got to covet nobody else's head no more!

Probably the biggest anxiety I had about going natural was the prospect of dealing with unmanageable hair. But, as a natural, my hair became very manageable:
-When I gave up the idea of running a comb/brush through it every day.
-When I found out all the ways I could style my hair without using a comb/brush
-When I realized I only needed to use a comb/brush when I was washing my hair, after it's been soaked with conditioner.

I define "manageability" as being able to comb (even finger comb), shampoo, style, etc without walking away frustrated. With that being said, my hair is VERY manageable
cool.gif

My #1 rule is "Absolutely No Heat". I don't even sit under a hooded dryer for deep conditioning... warming the conditioner works just fine
cool.gif

Another rule is Always, always wear satin/silk caps to bed & line winter caps
cool.gif

Ok, 1 more... Daily mist with distilled water combo is a MUST!!!

Coilygirl, thanks for welcoming the transitioners... we need luv too
grin.gif

If your natural use Sela Tangle buster routine it works for naturals and none naturals. It's on the old lhl.com board I had it but my computer crashed but if you go there and search the old board you can find it and post it here it was my holy grail when I went natural it will prevent hair loss period by the way I'm 4b. Much love SELA wherever you are
rosebud.gif

[quoteMy #1 rule is "Absolutely No Heat". I don't even sit under a hooded dryer for deep conditioning... warming the conditioner works just fine
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Peachtree ... How do you heat your conditioner? How long do you usually leave it in. I think I might try this just for fun.

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

Pookeylou,

I LOVE your response. You are absolutely right. I do the same thing because my hair tells me what it wants,not the other way around. I feel my hair has become very manageable as long as I'm listening to it.Sometimes I'll try to put a plan in motion on what I'm going to do to my hair week to week but it doesnt work that way. I may say,I want to wear a braid out this week and my hair will say I dont think so, you'll be wearing a ponytail this week......LOL

Pookeylou,

I LOVE your response. You are absolutely right. I do the same thing because my hair tells me what it wants,not the other way around. I feel my hair has become very manageable as long as I'm listening to it.Sometimes I'll try to put a plan in motion on what I'm going to do to my hair week to week but it doesnt work that way. I may say,I want to wear a braid out this week and my hair will say I dont think so, you'll be wearing a ponytail this week......LOL

Tee Tee

[ QUOTE ]
prettyblac said:
If your natural use Sela Tangle buster routine it works for naturals and none naturals. It's on the old lhl.com board I had it but my computer crashed but if you go there and search the old board you can find it and post it here it was my holy grail when I went natural it will prevent hair loss period by the way I'm 4b. Much love SELA wherever you are
rosebud.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had to look this method up!
Didn't find anything about it on lhl but a search on LHCF yielded results! Kaela posted this method up here a couple of months ago!!! This board is truly an invaluable resource!
Here ya go...
[ QUOTE ]
Kaela said:
You probably see this on every post, but maybe clarify? Also, you could try just saturating with cheap conditioner, setting aside some time, and section by section try to detangle?

Here is a recipe I copied from the old Longhairlovers, I'm not sure if it has already been posted or modified since I copied it (the steps look kind of out of order...):

Selah's Tangle Buster Routine
1) Section hair down center w/fingers or comb.
2) Gently and thoroughly saturate each section.
3) Before-hand, you will take a plastic pitcher that holds say 2 q. of water.
Pour in about 1/8 c.-1/4 c. of vinegar or so (cv or white). I just eyeball amt. Then pour in ALOT of conditioner. I use a cheapie or something I won't buy again for this stage. My hair is a few inches past my shoulders so I dump in about 1/2 c. or so.
Add about 3 tbsp. of light oil - Amla, coconut etc. I also put in about 2 tbsp of Elasta Recovery, but that's optional. Fill w/water, stir with hand.
4) Pour SLOWLY over each section, holding palm of other hand under hair to catch liquid against hair. Don't rub or manipulate hair now! Loosely pin up each section for about 3 min.
5) Take down. Gently finger comb as much as you can. Rinse about 3/4 of mixture out. Don't overrinse.
6) Shampoo only ONCE. Massage scalp moving hair as little as possible. Don't rub and manipulate hair length. Gently squeeze length, milking shampoo down it. I do this for about 60 - 90 seconds each side. Your hair will be clean, so don't worry about short time frame. Shampooing too long & multiple times causes tangles. Gently rinse each section.
7) Now apply your good conditioner liberally. Again, pin up hair. Let sit for about 3 min.
8) Take hair down. Gently finger comb. Only at this point should you comb hair. I use a seamless wide tooth comb from Sally's by Cricket ($1.99). Seamless ones are a must. Gently rinse, cool water.
9) Do another vinegar mixture, now just minus the conditioner. Again, use the coolest water you can stand to close those cuticles. Do NOT rinse out.
10) When towel drying, do not run. Gently pat/squeeze dry. That's it!

* Optional - adding essential oils on the front end mixture, or back end vinegar rinse. *

fyi - I do not use shampoos w/the chemicals to make all the suds. They strip and dry it out. I like alot of products, including: African Formula (shea shampoo / condit for ex.), Aubrey Organics (GPB deep condit, Blue Camomile Shampoo, Island Naturals), Nature's Gate (the Herbal s & c is very good & helps w/tangles).
There's more, but once I use them, I'm going to pare down to just 3, one being a mild shampoo/oil/E.O. mixture I'll make using Dr. Bronner's.

[/ QUOTE ]

@TeeTee...that's when I run into problems...when I try to tell my hair...what its going to do!
smile.gif

@Kenyana...I LOOOOOOVVVVEEE...your link of the week! His commentary on the statement of african american hair...was enlightening...especially hearing it from a mans point of view...I never think of men having "hair issues" like we do...thanks for sharing that.

As a transitioner, I've found my new growth to be a lot more manageable than I ever expected!!! I mean, amazingly so.

However, I do have difficulty with tangles with the two textures but I know I can reduce that with a nice trim.

Other than that, I consider my hair to be quite manageable.

My rules:
Apply moisturizer when wet
Spray with moisturizing mixture to comb through dry hair
Very little heat or no heat
Conditioning a few times a week
No drugstore shampoos

oh there are probably more...

Hey Ms ballet
wave.gif

I have several ways... 1) place conditioner in a microwaveable container & place it in my homemade steamer (stove top); 2) hold the container above my Caruso steamer; 3) Most often times, I'll place it in the microwave for 5 or so secs. Then I'll either use it as my "pre-poo" treatment or carry it to the shower with me to use after shampooing
cool.gif

By the way, the conditioner is not "hot".... it's merely "slightly" warmed. U can cover the top to keep it even warmer until ur ready to use it after poo'ing
smile.gif

Give it a try
wink.gif

I just found a very interesting post @ mowtowngrl.8m.net

She said the following...and it is exactly how I feel about "mangaging" my natural hair:

"HAIR MYTHS:

Natural hair is difficult and not managable!

True it can be difficult if you dont have proper knowledge. Also, you have to define manageble for yourself. Sure it does take time to detangle, get the knots out and do treatments, but by carefully caring for your hair, you can reap a healthy head of hair. In my experience, I enjoy taking care of my hair....Once I started listening to my hair, (it doesn't like to be combed much & loves water) things went alot smoother, compared to when I was fighting my hair."

In the case of natural hair...I find that if you are trying to make natural hair do something I cannot do (i.e. lay perfectly flat as if it were permed) then you are bound to make yourself frustrated. But if you accept it...as the nature of the hair...then you end up with happier hair...becuase you are not foricng it to do something it doesnt want to. That's the thing about natural hair...you can perm it, press it, gel it, wax it...but no matter what you do...the newgrowth tells you...I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE...SO GET USED TO IT!
smile.gif
I have finally said to myself...quit trying to fight it and learn to love it.

wink.gif
@ pookeyloo.
I'm glad u liked it!

*aside* ...I'm in transition too and looking 4 tips & encouragement...
crazy.gif
... hope u don't mind if i hit your inbox??

[ QUOTE ]
kenyana said:
wink.gif
@ pookeyloo.
I'm glad u liked it!

*aside* ...I'm in transition too and looking 4 tips & encouragement...
crazy.gif
... hope u don't mind if i hit your inbox??

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all! My password is misleading...I am actually all natural now...but my transition album shows how I made it through...with no problems at all...feel free to look in it anytime. PM me too if you need too!

[ QUOTE ]
I had to look up "manageable" in the dictionary before I could reply..."capable of being controled"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in that cae anything is "capable", wild horses can be tamed. I thought we were talking about ease and no frustration like Peachtree said.

Now that Tangle Buster routine see to me that is just too much to many steps.

Hey to each his own.

One last thing I wanted to add is while some have mastered "controlling" natuaral hair, it is not a "Myth", that it is difficult people did'nt start straighting thier hair for no reason. My niece is only 6 she has waist lenght hair, thick, and ruff, we would never get her a relaxer, but God, it aint no lie it's a struggle wet means tangled even more and it's a good 2hr job.

We may as well face it yes it can be mangaged, but it is so much simpler straight.

Back