How far from brastrap are you....Really??

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I was just sort of curious to know. It just seemed like brastrap was so far down my back as compared to other people.

I would use my favorite bra to do my measurements but it seemed so far down. I realized also that this bra is old and stretched and needed to be replaced. It was so comfortable though. According to my favorite old worn out bra, brastrap would equal # 9.5 on my progress shirt.

Well, I have bought new bras and decided to see where brastrap is with the new bra.

It is a significant difference. Now brastrap seems to be at the same spot on me as is on everyone else.

Before it was a couple of inches below my shoulder blades now it is just
below.

I decided to figure out exactly how far away from brastrap I really am.

This is a pic of me wearing the new bra and old bra over my progress shirt:

Bottom of brastrap is at around #7.5 which seems very normal. That's with the new bra.

Bottom of brastrap is about #9.5 using the old bra. It seemed very far too me.

hair522-vi.jpg

The reason for this post is I just wanted to warn you ladies to make sure you use bras that are not worn and tattered for your measurements. That old bra is so stretched out it has no more life left!!:lol:

LOL! The old bra definetly looks like it's way too low.. I can't imagine wearing my bras that low, mine sit right below my shoulder blades.. Guess you're happy to find out you're 2" closer to brastrap than you thought! :)

My siggie says I'm 4-4.5" away.. but after my touch up/trim this weekend, I should be about 3-3.5" away.

Hmm...I guess I'm off to do a bra inspection. What a GREAT reason to go shopping for new underwear!

Good post, but as tall as I am, bra strap, no matter which bra I wear, is still a good ways for me. LOL!!! However, I'm still pushing forward.

ETA: I'm about 4 inches

Last edited:
My hair is currently at armpit length which means I have about 5" to bra-strap. But because I'm short waisted, I would only have about 3" from bra-strap to waist length.

candibaby said:
LOL! The old bra definetly looks like it's way too low.. I can't imagine wearing my bras that low, mine sit right below my shoulder blades.. Guess you're happy to find out you're 2" closer to brastrap than you thought! :)

My siggie says I'm 4-4.5" away.. but after my touch up/trim this weekend, I should be about 3-3.5" away.

You ain't know....

It's a very good feeling.
Sounds like you will be there in no time!! HHG

Asha97 said:
Hmm...I guess I'm off to do a bra inspection. What a GREAT reason to go shopping for new underwear!

Good post, but as tall as I am, bra strap, no matter which bra I wear, is still a good ways for me. LOL!!! However, I'm still pushing forward.

ETA: I'm about 4 inches

4 inches is not that far away girl!! You will be there in no time at all!!

BTW, your hair looks amazing!

I'm gonna go with the 9" -12" range...I think I have a different sight perception of getting to bra strap/what's considered bra strap...so that's my safe range...

*Mo is getting ready to get her hair clipped...it's time...lol*

I need about 2-2 1/2 inches to be brastrap at the back. It seems the longer my hair grows, the longer I want it to grow. :perplexed

I think my brastrap measurements are correct, it's the armpit one that's driving me crazy. I can't tell if I'm there or not and I can't get a good strong, consistent # on it. I hate to ask the Mister... but I may have no choice. I'm under the 4" to brastrap mark. I need a touch-up (& probably a trim) and then I'll remeasure.

DSD, your black bra looks about right to me. The other one is what I'd call mid back.
Brastrap is different for eveyone. It depends on how tall you are, and how long of a neck, torso, etc.

melodee said:
DSD, your black bra looks about right to me. The other one is what I'd call mid back.
Brastrap is different for eveyone. It depends on how tall you are, and how long of a neck, torso, etc.

Yeah, it sits just under my shoulder blades.

I am not really concerned about inches because I know those will vary on different people. I just want to make sure my bra lays inn the correct position on my back.

Last edited:
It seems like I'm light years away from bra strap no matter which bra I put on! Since I'm on Den1's no measuring challenge I can't measure in inches. I know my bra clasp is kinda high. That's cause my breasts are way more than a handful. :lol:

Last time I measured I was 4 inches away from bra strap. To me bra strap is when my hair is covering the clasp, not just touching the top. Oh wel1, I will be bra strap this year.... I will, I just know it! :look:

I think I need to go bra shopping cause it seems to be taking forever for me too! and I have...um...tig ol biddies so I have to wear granny bras so I never know!

Alli77 said:
I think I need to go bra shopping cause it seems to be taking forever for me too! and I have...um...tig ol biddies so I have to wear granny bras so I never know!

Ok!! Fellow member of the tig ol biddies club checking in and yes it is sometimes discouraging when I hear bottom of brastrap which for most is 1 to 1 1/2 inches and when I say bottom of brastrap I mean 3 or 4 inches!
Anyhoo, I am on the no length check challenge but I would guess that I am
about 4 or 5 inches away. (from the top of bs)

Last edited:
Hi DSD :wave:

I agree that the bra makes a big difference! I had "hair anorexia" a few months ago because of the bra I was using. When I switched, I realized I had been there for about a month or so :)

Now I've chopped off about 4 inches so I'm about 3-4 inches away now, but I have LOADS of new growth so I should get most of it back by the time I relax again :)

SG

Alli andSharee,

LOL at tig ol' bitties!
I feel ya on that bra strap thing. My really supportive bras have at least 3 clasps and about three inches of material on the strap.
If i wear VS bras, I usually get a decent measurment (they are low enough, yet not too low).

i am about an inch from bra strap. looking at it you will never be able to tell. i am the only person i know who has relaxed hair and has shrinkage. i have to stretch my hair to see how close to bs i actually am. left alone it appears to be shoulder length all the way around.

i have a bunch of newgrowth now so perhaps when i retouch it will "look" longer that shoulder length...LOL!

SouthernGirl said:
Hi DSD :wave:

I agree that the bra makes a big difference! I had "hair anorexia" a few months ago because of the bra I was using. When I switched, I realized I had been there for about a month or so :)

Now I've chopped off about 4 inches so I'm about 3-4 inches away now, but I have LOADS of new growth so I should get most of it back by the time I relax again :)

SG

Hey SG! :wave:

I still have hair anorexia regardless of the bra. My hair feels so short. 4 inches doesn't seem that far away but it just doesn't feel like my hair is that close to brastrap. I feel like I am dreaming or something!! lol

I looked in your album and checked out the pics of your new haircut. Your hair looks great! I am sure you will be there when you relax again!! HHG

Thanks DSD! I like your trimmed pix too :)

Don't you fret lil' mama! You'll be there in no time. I cut to about where you are so we can get there together :)

Luv ya,
SG

When I scrape some cash together I will get myself a decent VS bras, maybe then I won't feel like it's taking forever for my hair to grow.

SouthernGirl said:
Thanks DSD! I like your trimmed pix too :)

Don't you fret lil' mama! You'll be there in no time. I cut to about where you are so we can get there together :)

Luv ya,
SG

Thanks!! You are too sweet!! I think your hair is longer that mine though! Uh oh, there goes that hair anorexia kicking in again.

Back