how do you wear your hair for work?

I wanted to know how do you corporate women wear your hair for work? I tried to do a doughnut this morning and my hair is not long enough. I want to buy a phony pony but i am deathly afraid that it will fall off while I'm in an executive meeting. Imagine- me addressing a vital issue, talking ever so confidently with a banging outfit on and everyone just looking at my baggy and my phony pony on the floor in horror :shocked::shocked::shocked:
SERIOUSLY IF THIS HAPPENS I WOULD DIE!!!

determined_to_grow said:
Imagine- me addressing a vital issue, talking ever so confidently with a banging outfit on and everyone just looking at my baggy and my phony pony on the floor in horror :shocked::shocked::shocked:

:lachen: :lachen: That's hilarious! I just wear my hair in a low pony pinned under with a hair pin. I don't know if that's okay, but that's my daily style when I'm 5+ weeks post relaxer.

I have photos in the link below. All of these are styles I wear to work. I think they are professional and not too out there but creative and feminine at the same time.

Just be sure to secure the pony tightly. I have the same concerns except mine are what if I get hurt and while they are carrying me off on a stretcher my phony pony falls off:look: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Im a dental asst, so most times I wear my hair clipped up with some kind of hair clip to secure it.

trimbride said:
I have photos in the link below. All of these are styles I wear to work. I think they are professional and not too out there but creative and feminine at the same time.

Just be sure to secure the pony tightly. I have the same concerns except mine are what if I get hurt and while they are carrying me off on a stretcher my phony pony falls off:look: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Just checked out your pics. Your styles are quite pretty:)

trimbride said:

your hair looks absolutely fabulous can you tell me how u achieved the silk flower bun? is that a phony pony?

Instructions to create my silk beaded flower low side bun with phony pony:D :

1. I put my hair into a low side bun.
2. I put my baggy on my hair and secure with a goodies ouchless hair elastic.
3. I attach a long phony pony over the baggy but I do not use the combs to avoid damage.
4. I wrap an ouchless hair elastic around the long phony pony to create a sort of "circle bump knob" :confused: There should be hair hanging from the bottom of the "circle bump knob"
5. I take this hair and twist it and then wrap it around the "circle bump knob"
6. Once the hair is completely wrapped I tuck in the end and secure with another goodies ouchless elastic.
7. I put on my silk flower. (This was purchased from target it has a little clip on the back similar to the clips used for rollersets)

Hopefully this all makes sense. Good Luck!

I have a bob haircut that is chin length and layered so I just wear it down, sometimes I comb it all back and just poof up the back and other times I comb the sides down and let it hang. I work at a Catholic hospital with a bunch of doctors so I have to be very professional

I wear my hair however I want, today I am rocking a fro. I am normally the only black in my meetings and every week they see my hair in a different style, this white guy even introduced himself to me, and I have known him for 2 years, I threw him off with my hair. I used to be a little nervous to rock certain styles to work, but if a white chick can rock fishnets with her mini skirt :look: and the white guy can have his earring in, then I can wear my hair anyway I want.

I am still appalled that some hairstyles are considered non-professional. As long as I am not coming in here with some crazy color, or waterfalls or whatever they call that style, I don't see the problem.

Last edited:
Bun all the way!!!!

I rock this bun every single day.... i only take it out in the evenings to apply my MTG, moisturize, shake it out (never combing), and then rebun. I sleep with a scarf..... and in the morning, all i have to do is finger comb in place any loose or escaped strands. Life is easy! 5 minutes top in the morning to "do my hair"....... another 5 minutes to apply a dab of lipgloss, some eyeshadow, and mascara. :)

I'm no stylist, so my hair is either hanging straight, or in a ponytail. I add curls by using my caruso rollers (when I'm not running late)...

I just go with a phony pony. I've worn them for years, and none have fallen out, so don't worry. I even go swimming in them--in the ocean no less--with no problems! :lol:

If I think I'll have time to style my hair in the morning (yeah, right), I roller set my hair at night using satin covered foam rollers. In the morning, I just finger comb the curls out, and do a little more styling with the shorter front layer of my hair. Finally, I pin the back up, leaving the top and sides mostly loose, but sculpted off my face for height (I pin up any strays). It's easy and looks very professional (I get a lot of compliments). However, I don't think this up-do will work for longer-than-shoulder-length hair. But, roller sets on any hair length will give a nice height and fullness, while up-dos are pretty and classic. HTH! :)

determined_to_grow said:
I wanted to know how do you corporate women wear your hair for work? I tried to do a doughnut this morning and my hair is not long enough. I want to buy a phony pony but i am deathly afraid that it will fall off while I'm in an executive meeting. Imagine- me addressing a vital issue, talking ever so confidently with a banging outfit on and everyone just looking at my baggy and my phony pony on the floor in horror :shocked::shocked::shocked:
i forgot who told the story but a few years ago a poster was saying that she was teaching some sort of aerobic class and her phony pony came off and landed on the floor. she just scooped it up off the floor and kept going like nothing happened. lol

determined i think you should be fine with the phony pony if you go that route. when i was in jr high school i had one and used to have to play gym with it on and it never fell out, i was scared it would but it never came out

trimbride said:

Your hair looks really cute. What did you use on your hairline. It grew in very well. pretty.

Buns, braidouts, whatever. I really where my hair however I want and you better not tell me a thing about it.lol I dont know if this helps though.:)

Big ole' puff, completely loose with maybe the front held back with barrettes for style, or parted down the middle out big and curly. I let it be free!!!

ETA: I do work in corporate (finance).

Last edited:
trimbride said:
Instructions to create my silk beaded flower low side bun with phony pony:D :

1. I put my hair into a low side bun.
2. I put my baggy on my hair and secure with a goodies ouchless hair elastic.
3. I attach a long phony pony over the baggy but I do not use the combs to avoid damage.
4. I wrap an ouchless hair elastic around the long phony pony to create a sort of "circle bump knob" :confused: There should be hair hanging from the bottom of the "circle bump knob"
5. I take this hair and twist it and then wrap it around the "circle bump knob"
6. Once the hair is completely wrapped I tuck in the end and secure with another goodies ouchless elastic.
7. I put on my silk flower. (This was purchased from target it has a little clip on the back similar to the clips used for rollersets)

Hopefully this all makes sense. Good Luck!

Your styles are soooooooooooo cute!!! Thanks for sharing

I work in a professional finance & accounting environment, and I wear so many different styles that it's crazy! Twists, twistouts, stretched out puffs, shrunken puffs, shake n gos, cornrowed front with the back out, and that's all I can think of now! :D

I am a natural 4a and I wear my hair either in a bun or a low pony puff. I am soooo scared of trying new styles. I work in a mostly white office, and all of the black women wear their hair straightened. I would love to get microtwists for a change, but I am really afraid of how the folx in my office would take it. There are some white women in my office, and all they do is talk about their hair. They are literally obsessed with getting stick straight hair and they all have it bleached blond.

Maybe it is just me.

Determined to Grow: Sorry, I have no idea of what is acceptable in the corporate world as I work for not-for-profits in a casual work environment. However, my hairstyle of choice is the bun as it is low maintainance and generally stays in place throughout the day.

Trimbride: Thanks for sharing your picks. I totally appreciate the bun pictures where you utilized a variety of accessories. I've been looking for ways to dress up the bun and I am sooo stealing your ideas.:lol:

caltron said:
I am a natural 4a and I wear my hair either in a bun or a low pony puff. I am soooo scared of trying new styles. I work in a mostly white office, and all of the black women wear their hair straightened. I would love to get microtwists for a change, but I am really afraid of how the folx in my office would take it. There are some white women in my office, and all they do is talk about their hair. They are literally obsessed with getting stick straight hair and they all have it bleached blond.

Maybe it is just me.

I love it when their hair looks so dry that it mite break if your touch it:lachen: The area that I live in is mostly "upper" class white people and the women if they aren't from hollen/swedish or some dutch country they have bleach blonde hair and want it straight as possiable....

Dannygirl said:
I love it when their hair looks so dry that it mite break if your touch it:lachen: The area that I live in is mostly "upper" class white people and the women if they aren't from hollen/swedish or some dutch country they have bleach blonde hair and want it straight as possiable....

Shoot, I LOVE the fact that my hair looks NOTHING like theirs and I stand out everyday at work. I wouldn't want to blend in with them for anything. I do my job and do it well, and that's what's important at work. Gotta have that confidence all around, and everything will be A-O-K! Too much confinement in the workplace will make you go crazy! As long as it falls within the perimeters of appropriateness and isn't anything completely over the top in styling (mohawks, purple hair, etc), don't be afraid to "be you" with your hair.

so1913 said:
Shoot, I LOVE the fact that my hair looks NOTHING like theirs and I stand out everyday at work. I wouldn't want to blend in with them for anything. I do my job and do it well, and that's what's important at work. Gotta have that confidence all around, and everything will be A-O-K! Too much confinement in the workplace will make you go crazy! As long as it falls within the perimeters of appropriateness and isn't anything completely over the top in styling (mohawks, purple hair, etc), don't be afraid to "be you" with your hair.

Great post! I need to get more of that mentality. My parents believe that braids and twists are not appropriate for work, and they have me scared.

All I need to do is get over my initial fear, then everything will be fine.

caltron said:

Maybe it is just me.
Girl, I work in an ALL WHITE office with no other blacks! :D As long as your natural style is nice and neat, who cares what anyone else thinks. Talk about your hair with them, only if you feel comfortable doing so. Don't let their talking about their hair make you feel afraid in any way to try new styles. ;)

so1913 said:
BINGO!!!! :yep::up:

Back