How Do You Take Care Of Your Roots While Stretching Your Relaxer!

Aggie

Hi all, I've been stretching my relaxer now for 13 weeks and I have some breakage and enough to concern me greatly. How do I minimize the breakage? Is there something I should be doing to my roots (at the point of demarcation) that could stop or at least reduce the breakage?

The hair strand itself has good elasticity in it, it's just that point where the relaxed hair meets the new growth that's very weak. I need some help from the ladies that has had good success in stretching their relaxer. I want to stretch an additional 5 weeks as I only want to relax 3 maybe 4 times max a year to restore the health of my hair damaged by too frequent relaxing done by my stylist.

Now, I enjoy taking care of my own hair and I really want to be able keep the hair I do have on my head.

Any help that was proven successful would be great.

I usually stretch from 14-16 weeks and ORS Carrot oil helps me out a lot. I put it on my new growth and it makes it sooo soft and easier to comb. I usually dont get a lot of breakage while stretching. HTH

My roots seem to love the Palmers Olive Oil Spray. I spray it on my roots at nights and they do not exist when I wake up. I hope I can get the same effect from Avocado oil. Let me know what works for you because I'm attempting a stretch until March and I'm only 6 weeks in! I never paid attention to my hair in the past when I stretched and never even knew there was a word for it. I just simply called it not getting a perm :grin:

Last edited:
A good Leave in and a spray mix that contains glycerine. Im currently at 26 weeks. Glycerine is my friend so is Salerm21

A good Leave in and a spray mix that contains glycerine. Im currently at 26 weeks. Glycerine is my friend so is Salerm21

WOW Closer1, 26 weeks stretch!! The leave-in you recommended, should that be protein or water based? I did order salerm 21 but it hasn't arrived as yet. Also, would lacio lacio work too? I do have the lacio lacio now.

Thanks 321 and luvinwife for the tips. Glycerine I think is a good idea.

Last edited:
What products have Glycerin in them? I'm stretching too, and my roots are rough!!

You can buy it at the pharmacy or at the BSS. it cheap. Wave Nouveau has it in there too. I buy mine for 1.49 at the Bss. put Purified water in a spray bottle, Add in some leave in such as Salerm or infusium 23. Shake it up spray it on when needed for moisture. Im in twists I do not need to seal with Black castor oil. Your hair will thank you for it.:yawn:

WOW Closer1, 26 weeks stretch!! The leave-in you recommended, should that be protein or water based? I did order salerm 21 but it hasn't arrived as yet. Also, would lacio lacio work too? I do lacio lacio now.

Thanks 321 and luvinwife for the tips. Glycerine I think is a good idea.

Thank you I never intended to go that far but now I cannot bring myself to relax yet. Im suppose to in about 7 days bt now Im going for new year. The Salerm has silk proteins in it. With the water its lightly diluted. I wash my twists every week and DC. Try to keep a Lo-mani style. I took my twists out and attemped to flat iron and I had no breakage at all just the regular shedding and even that was low.

What products have Glycerin in them? I'm stretching too, and my roots are rough!!
I agree with the Glycerin.
I stretched 25 weeks and Glycerin as well as Mane N'Tail(Protein to strengthen NG and line of dec.) kept me alive.
Basically I would wash my hair about once a week... at the end every two weeks,with Mane n tail poo,and then condition with a mix of Oil,Siliconmix and a Glycerin Condi.
My favorite Glycerin Condi's have Glycerin in the top5 ingredients like:
Con Condi(purple label)
ORS Rep Pak
Frizz Eaze REHYDRATE Moisture Binding Deep Conditioner
Nexxus Humectress

Other then that I left my hair alone ,I flatironed it about once a month and wore it in a bun for the rest of my stretch
Hope that helps and HHG:yep:

Is there enough protein in your regimen? I usually have to step up the light-moderate protein after 10 weeks post. I was getting a few long broken hairs, so I started using Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment weekly, and the breakage stopped.

I agree with the Glycerin.
I stretched 25 weeks and Glycerin as well as Mane N'Tail(Protein to strengthen NG and line of dec.) kept me alive.
Basically I would wash my hair about once a week... at the end every two weeks,with Mane n tail poo,and then condition with a mix of Oil,Siliconmix and a Glycerin Condi.
My favorite Glycerin Condi's have Glycerin in the top5 ingredients like:
Con Condi(purple label)
ORS Rep Pak
Frizz Eaze REHYDRATE Moisture Binding Deep Conditioner
Nexxus Humectress

Other then that I left my hair alone ,I flatironed it about once a month and wore it in a bun for the rest of my stretch
Hope that helps and HHG:yep:

OOh Ella, Great tips. Thank you so much. I will try to use the protein poos and conditioners more on the line of dec like you suggested.

Is there enough protein in your regimen? I usually have to step up the light-moderate protein after 10 weeks post. I was getting a few long broken hairs, so I started using Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment weekly, and the breakage stopped.

Thanks Princess Pie, yes I agree, I do have to step up my protein washes and treatments. I will do that starting this week.

Please keep the responses coming if there are any others who have additional tips as I'm sure many of us (especially me) who are stretching and have no clue how to go about doing so. If you are one of these people, post here so we can all get more help together.

Thanks my LHCF friends for all your help. Keep them coming.

I normally stretch 14-16 weeks. Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol helps a lot. I use it to DC and apply from roots to ends. When my hair finally dries, my ng doesn't seem to exist. That helps until my next wash. CON detangling shampoo also helps to keep my ng soft. A good leave in for my edges works as well. By 12 weeks post, I have to use a satin scarf to tie my hair down at night, otherwise I'm like :freakout:in the morning.

I'm stretching too, Going on 11 weeks post... I tried oil rinsing earlier this week and it worked great for me.

I just went to the BSS to ask what product would help with breakage due to stretching the lady there was white:perplexed (no offence intended), so she gave me a whole bunch of suggstion and I ended up more conf:perplexedused than when I went there. I ended up buying carrot oil (to use in my MN mic as well). i have not tried it yet but apparently it will stop breakage. I have braids for now so that is helping. Also the protein is good for breakage as well, I bought Aphogee two step protein treatment, I will try it when I take my braids out.
sistaslick has alot of info about breakage and shedding as well as benefits of protein and moisture. Check out her fotki.

I just went to the BSS to ask what product would help with breakage due to stretching the lady there was white:perplexed (no offence intended), so she gave me a whole bunch of suggstion and I ended up more conf:perplexedused than when I went there. I ended up buying carrot oil (to use in my MN mic as well). i have not tried it yet but apparently it will stop breakage. I have braids for now so that is helping. Also the protein is good for breakage as well, I bought Aphogee two step protein treatment, I will try it when I take my braids out.
sistaslick has alot of info about breakage and shedding as well as benefits of protein and moisture. Check out her fotki.

Thank you Mandy, I will. I forgot all about her article on breakage and shedding.

I'm stretching too, Going on 11 weeks post... I tried oil rinsing earlier this week and it worked great for me.

I've never tried oil rinsing but I think there area few threads on the forum about it. I'll do a search. Thanks for the tip.

I keep it moisturized, also after I rollerset I will blow the roots out, so it's easier to manage until my next touch up.

I use Wave Nouveau's Finishing Spray although I do not use the curly perm that comes with this line. My hair is texturized (salon) and I prefer water based moisturizers. I am currently stretching at 9 weeks. This product is water based and keeps my hair soft without alot of buildup. It also has a soft clean smell. I use it daily, but I clarify once I begin to notice and feel buildup. This is definitely My Holy Grail Product for moisture :yep:.

Hi:yawn:

I don't relax but I know there are some relaxed women who have had success using coconut milk as a pre-poo. Some say it has helped loosen and smooth their new growth. I know it helps smooth my natural hair.

If someone mentioned that already, just signing on.

Deep conditioning with Pantene mask for relaxed and natural hair helps my hair stay soft and detangled
Prepoo with amla oil
Shampooing with CON

I can tell you this, there is nothing like thye Keracare Humecto Tub. I used this for my 12week stretch and my hair experienced no breakage at all.

I can tell you this, there is nothing like thye Keracare Humecto Tub. I used this for my 12week stretch and my hair experienced no breakage at all.

Where can I purchase the Keracare humecto tub size conditioner online? I live in the Bahamas, so I have to order it online.

Back