How do you stretch a relaxer?

AllyMD

Hello all-
I'm new to the forum and I am loving it :) I have a question for you pros out there. I am interested in stretching my relaxer. My last relaxer was on March 17 and I am hoping to get myself to 3 months before I get another one. My question for you all is how do you keep your new growth soft and manageable to keep your breakage to a minimum? Thanks for all of your help!

To be honest with you I dont touch my new growth unless I'm co-washing, shampooing or deep conditioning.:p After that I just detangle (under the shower water), but I still avoid combing my new growth. After the shower detangling session I just message some moisturizer on my nappy roots, then apply a bit of oil(to my roots, not my scalp) and slick the rest into a loose pony, put on my satin scarf, and I'm off to bed while it air dries over night. After that, I dont TOUCH that jungle up unda there! :lachen: In the morning its flat and it stays that way until my next wash. Sometimes if my newgrowth gets dry, then I'll spray some S-curl mixed with jojoba on it and message it through, but thats about it. So my regimen really allows my new growth to do its own thing up under there, while I concentrate on my relaxed hair throughout the stretch.:D

lexi84 said:
To be honest with you I dont touch my new growth unless I'm co-washing, shampooing or deep conditioning.:p After that I just detangle (under the shower water), but I still avoid combing my new growth. After the shower detangling session I just message some moisturizer on my nappy roots, then apply a bit of oil(to my roots, not my scalp) and slick the rest into a loose pony, put on my satin scarf, and I'm off to bed while it air dries over night. After that, I dont TOUCH that jungle up unda there! :lachen: In the morning its flat and it stays that way until my next wash. Sometimes if my newgrowth gets dry, then I'll spray some S-curl mixed with jojoba on it and message it through, but thats about it. So my regimen really allows my new growth to do its own thing up under there, while I concentrate on my relaxed hair throughout the stretch.:D

I agree with Lexi!!

I detangle in the shower with my Jilbere. Last stretch I did just like Lexi, airdried in a ponytail. To get moisture to my roots I use an applicator bottle and stick the nozzle into that mess while its in the ponytail.

This stretch I'm planning a new strategy. I repurchased my bone combs (these are great for combing if you need to, they are much gentler on the hair and don't snag). I plan to rollerset my hair through most of my stretch. I can pretty easily comb my hair including new growth while my hair is soaking wet without losing hair. I airdry my rollersets now. When I rollerset I am able to get my roots straighter than they otherwise would be.

I've recently stopped combing my dry hair. Now I just finger comb to style my dry hair. I think this will really help me to maximize the benefits of stretching.

walkerca said:
Hello all-
I'm new to the forum and I am loving it :) I have a question for you pros out there. I am interested in stretching my relaxer. My last relaxer was on March 17 and I am hoping to get myself to 3 months before I get another one. My question for you all is how do you keep your new growth soft and manageable to keep your breakage to a minimum? Thanks for all of your help!

Hi Walker :wave:

How long do you usually wait between touch-ups? If you relax every 8 weeks, it can be a bit of a challenge to extend your time by one month your first time. Maybe you should try to gradually stretch, adding on a week or two. This way you'll learn what helps your hair go the extra distance.

I relax every 3 months because its comfortable to me, i dont treat my hair extra special as far as combing it and I only use products that will help me keep my hair manageable. i rollerset as usual. I'm also not committed to a 3month time frame. I can already tell that my next relaxer will be done at the 10 week mark because my hair already feels like a mini forest.

beana said:
Hi Walker :wave:

How long do you usually wait between touch-ups? If you relax every 8 weeks, it can be a bit of a challenge to extend your time by one month your first time. Maybe you should try to gradually stretch, adding on a week or two. This way you'll learn what helps your hair go the extra distance.

I relax every 3 months because its comfortable to me, i dont treat my hair extra special as far as combing it and I only use products that will help me keep my hair manageable. i rollerset as usual. I'm also not committed to a 3month time frame. I can already tell that my next relaxer will be done at the 10 week mark because my hair already feels like a mini forest.
I totally agree

Back