What's the secret to prolonging your relaxer?

sweetcakes14 said:
After viewing Sylver2's picture where she is 10 weeks post relaxer, I am determined to find out how you go that long and keep your new growth soft and manageable without major breakage. The longest I can go is 8 weeks which is stretching it. And believe me you can see the naps - my hair is SNAP, CRACKLE AND POP! I would love to be able to try and start extending to 10 weeks if possible.

What's everyones secret?

S-Curl
Protective Styles
Conditioning/Deep Conditioning

I am approaching 8 weeks on Apr 8th and will not touch up May 1 (12 weeks). Currently, my hair is straight as an arrow even with new growth because I found that the follwing works wonders:

* Super Conditioning: last wash I used
(1) dpr-11
(2) salerm wheat germ mask

* Regular Rollerset

* Moisture, moisture, oil, oil and wear it in a bun or ponytail for 1 day while it is filled with the following products:
(1) Aphogee essential fatty acids oil concentrate + margurite's magic + mango butter
(2) B&B supergro on scalp
(3) curl wax on ends & curling iron to smooth ends (ONCE A WEEK ONLY)
(4) IC Fantasia Oil Moisturizer every day follwowed by the mix in (1) above.
(5) wash as soon as hair feels dry & repeat

Last edited:
Well, since my last post, I stretched out my relaxer to 12 weeks. I was soo excited. I couldn't believe the difference in my hair - there was no shedding and hardly any breakage. I was using Sta-Sof-Fro religously and it saved the life of my hair. This has now become one of my staple products. I used it on my new growth 2x daily and it kept the new growth soft and extremely manageable. I could actually comb it with no problems. From now on I will definitely extend my relaxers a minimum of 12 weeks.

I'm 10 weeks post, and I'm doing an extreme stretch to 26 weeks. My secret is daily CO washes and daily hot oil treatments. I don't have any problems out of my hair, and I have over an inch of new growth in most places. I also braid my hair on most days in one braid and leave it alone. I might let it air dry hanging down and the just twist it up and put a clip in it, or I might do a french twist. The less manipulation on dry hair for me, the better.

Back