How Do You Smooth Your Relaxer?

starz

I'm sure some ladies feel that they do everything right when it comes to applying a relaxer except the smoothing part. My hair always came out underprocessed and I'm sure it was due to my smoothing technique.
So, how do you smooth properly?

Good question. I self relaxed for the 1st time Thursday and I underprocessed. I wonder if I should smooth with a comb instead of my fingers.

I smooth with my fingers, but hate the fact my hair tangles during the process of parting, smoothing, etc......:look:

I use one of those dollar tooth brushes to apply the relaxer to both sides of the newgrowth. this has worked PERFECTLY for me. Before this, i would always underprocess.btw i dont use the brush part but the handle.

I use a combination of fingers and a comb. I also use clips to section my hair so that I can do whats necessary.

Without the clips I would be sunk.

-A

BrEE said:
I use one of those dollar tooth brushes to apply the relaxer to both sides of the newgrowth. this has worked PERFECTLY for me. Before this, i would always underprocess.btw i dont use the brush part but the handle.

I'm gonna get me a dollar store tooth brush for my nape and other areas. hell I might use it on my whole head, it migth take longer but it will def. cut down on underprocessing.

But anyways, I use my rattail comb first, then go through with my fingers, let it sit some and smooth with my fingers again.

alexstin said:
Why would the brush cut down on underprocessing? Why aren't fingers good enough?:confused:

I've tried using my fingers before, although you feel the newgrowth better it BURNED like heck and took more time.the whole thing with the handle of the brush is that it's quicker b/c you just dunk it into the tub of relaxer and apply it to the newgrowth on both sides and getting both sides of the growth is what actually makes it straighten out more.i also section off my hair 3 sections on each side and keep the parts that im not working on clipped away.

With fingers, you wind up rubing the scalp, causing more irritation (possibly).

With a com, you can TRY to keep the chems off of the scalp & more on the hair (theoretically).

M J said:
With fingers, you wind up rubing the scalp, causing more irritation (possibly).

With a com, you can TRY to keep the chems off of the scalp & more on the hair (theoretically).

This makes a lot of sense:think:

Back