How do you prepare for a first date?

Kinkyhairlady

By this stage in my life I should know but I don't. Over the years I never really put much effort and the guys I dated always said I was too conservative and covered up all the time. Part of that was my insecurities with my weight and not having flawless skin on my legs so I avoided skirts. Now I'm ready to start dating again but this time I don't want to start off looking like an old lady. I want to be sexy and sophisticated looking.

So ladies please share your tips on how you prepare for that first date from the outfit you wear to the hairstyle. Do you get a mani and pedi? What do you do? Also what's your fragrance of choice that never fails?

Hmmm.... I start with getting hair and eyebrows done. If its cold I try to find a cute dress to go with boots or heel. I make sure it's not too revealing. I usually text 2 or 3 options to my girls so they can help me decide. Perfume really depends on my mood.

Honestly, I try to make first dates as simple as can be really. For me, the first date should always be about "NO PRESSURE".

I try to keep in mind that I'm just going out to have fun, go someplace new, and to hopefully learn a little more about this new guy. Sometimes I think SOME guys can almost sense when you're putting too much stock into a first date. I always say that a desperate vibe can be sensed a mile away. :ohwell:

So if anything, I think for a first date your whole feminine vibe, your positive aura, and an upbeat personality etc. are your BEST "accessories" and "assets" than any new dress or pair of shoes you can wear. :yep:

To prepare for a first date, I usually like to pamper myself. I may get a mani/pedi, make sure my hair is looking nice, and about 2 hrs or so before my date, I like to take a nice warm bubble bath with luxurious scents so that I'm feeling relaxed, smelling nice, and clean. Again, my main goal is NO PRESSURE. First dates are so 50/50. At the end of the date, either the guy wants to see you again, or he doesn't.

I always try to remember for the first few dates that my main "goal" is to LOOK nice, SMELL nice, BE nice, and HAVE FUN! :yay: :grin:

HTH

I wash my hair the night before. Imagine the wind blowing through your hair & he smells your sweet and fresh hair under his nose. He'll go crazy!

Where are you going? Dress accordingly. If it's a daytime date, like going for lunch then i would dress in dark jeans and a nice feminine top and jacket and heels.
I wore my hair the same as in my profile pic (if you are online dating). He kept going on about how he liked my hair so i wore it out (braid out).

If i were going to dinner i would def wear a dress/skirt.

Favourite perfume (carry it with you to re-spray) and subtle make-up. I did my eyebrows and nails the night before.

I also used a large clutch bag instead of a shoulder bag. There is something about clutches that says 'feminine'.

eta - if you don't like your legs, still wear skirts, just wear opaque tights.

You ladies have some good tips. One question I have is wearing heels. I don't like heels and my feet start to hurt so are flats too plain Jane? I need to get a clutch purse too.

You ladies have some good tips. One question I have is wearing heels. I don't like heels and my feet start to hurt so are flats too plain Jane? I need to get a clutch purse too.

I think you should wear what you feel comfortable in. If flats work for you I say go for it. Above all I think it's important to be "authentic". Don't go out of your way to do things you wouldn't normally do.

I take a bath instead of showering :lol: That way I know I'm sure to be extra super fresh. Plus, good time to relax and get in the right frame of mind beforehand.

I generally try to pick my outfit far in advance, like it'll be something I think about all day. But a lot of the time I end up switching outfits several times before settling on one (which usually is the same outfit I originally planned on).

Being that I am natural, I also give myself time in advance the style my hair to make sure it looks like what I want it to look like. I don't always wash my hair specifically FOR a date, but since dates are usually on the weekend and I save my hair for the weekends, it can usually be worked out. But if it's not wash day, I'm not sticking in an extra one specifically for the date. My hair is too fragile and I got goals here :nono:

Apart from that, I don't break schedule to do things specifically for the date. I don't go get fresh nails/brows/toes if it's not time for that. The date works around me, and apart from picking clothes, I don't work around it. The date works around my hair, to be honest. :lol:

The one thing I do break schedule for tends to be going to the gym, though. But even that is dependent on wash day - if I just washed, I may still go because my hair isn't going to get that sweaty/dirty after just one day. But yeah, going to the gym takes a lot of time out of my day, so I may skip it if I know I'm going on a date that night. I don't always, though.

It really depends on where we're going. My first date last week was at a 4 star restaurant so I dressed accordingly. I did wear my hair partially out (when we first met, it was in a bun), a nice skirt, knee high boots, tights, sweater, scarves - semi street style. Dressy, but not over the top. I live in a casual city and though the restaurant was nice, the decor was more modern/hip than traditional - made dressing a little easier.

*Gym that day.
*Gave myself a manicure including exfoliating my hands to make them softer (in case we held hands.
*Makeup was subtle and modest though I did wear red lipstick. Covering spots was most important.
*Sweet perfume.

I wear whatever looks dressy and not too laid back like I didn't care, I at least make him feel he is important enough to put a lil something on lol. If I wear jeans it's fitted jeans, with a nice sequenced shirt and some ankle high heeled boots and my purse, whatever matches. My hair is usually out on dates, either curls or just plain out, hope that helps :)

I was wondering this very same thing OP! I haven't been out on a date in awhile and have no idea what is appropriate dress...we are going to dinner and most likely dancing, so this is a tough one to prepare for LOL Dancing=no high heels :look:

Plus, it is like 20 degrees outside, so I have to be warm and cute :lol:

OP I would do you.Like everyone has their own style.If your not comfy it will show.There nothing like being in some heels that hurt like hell and then having to walk your not as confident..but there nothing like when you have on that banging dress that fits you like no other you walk like you own the damn block..If you don't do heels then don't..rock some kick *** flats and summer will be here soon so those cute sandals will be on deck..just have fun...I have never gone on a date properly so I was hoping the info here would be about how to conduct yourself on the 1st date..but this is good info as well.

Ok ladies...I think I FINALLY have my outfit picked out (a white form fitting men's shirt, straight leg dark jeans and cute heels :lol:), but I had one more question. Should I offer to pay the tip or just let him take care of everything? I forgot dating etiquette :lachen:

OP I would do you.Like everyone has their own style.If your not comfy it will show.There nothing like being in some heels that hurt like hell and then having to walk your not as confident..but there nothing like when you have on that banging dress that fits you like no other you walk like you own the damn block..If you don't do heels then don't..rock some kick *** flats and summer will be here soon so those cute sandals will be on deck..just have fun...I have never gone on a date properly so I was hoping the info here would be about how to conduct yourself on the 1st date..but this is good info as well.

GoddessMaker you should do a spinny

GoddessMaker- Thank you for the advice! I am trying to set the right tone in the beginning, so I think you are right...I just didn't want to be rude :lol: Now you need to give me a makeup tutorial before tomorrow night! Kthxbye :lachen::lachen:

Ok ladies...I think I FINALLY have my outfit picked out (a white form fitting men's shirt, straight leg dark jeans and cute heels :lol:), but I had one more question. Should I offer to pay the tip or just let him take care of everything? I forgot dating etiquette :lachen:

Heck no. Don't reach into your purse for anything on the first date. Unless it's lipgloss or something.

LOL y'all do a lot. I don't change a thing from my normal getting ready routine. I might spend a little more time in front of the mirror but that's it. And I definitely don't wear heels. Flats all day, everyday :lol:

No. ..................

I never wear skirts ,I like jeans ,so I d wear dark jeans with high heels ,my hair down and straight or natural ,i d accessorize ,wearing earrings and a ring /bracelet .Lotion upp my body ,Shave (you feel more sensual when you shaved),freshly washed hair and ALWAYS ALWAYS MAKE UP ,do not go bare faced ,you dont wanna look too Simple.

LilMissSunshine5 you don't need a makeup tut just do basics make sure your skin is as flawless as you can do,nice blush flush,nice lippie and some mascara..you want to look like you just a touch better then after several dates you can knock his socks off..

Thanks ladies for the feedback! You guys are lifesavers...it is a shame I don't have this stuff down at 31 :nono: I definitely need more dating experience :lol: I will only be reaching into my purse for lipgloss :lachen::lachen:

LilMissSunshine5 you don't need a makeup tut just do basics make sure your skin is as flawless as you can do,nice blush flush,nice lippie and some mascara..you want to look like you just a touch better then after several dates you can knock his socks off..

She should have full make up but natural looking ,the first dqtes is when you have to Impress not look like good ole girl next door ,concelear is Must ,mas ara ,golden eyeshadow and eyeliner ,a bit of foundation and lip balm with a hint of gloss where the light reflexes on the lips .Eta :brOnzer on cheeckbOnes

Thanks so much GoddessMaker and Kindheart for the suggestions! I don't normally wear any make up and my skin has been really clear/glowing recently. As of the last 4 days, I have been getting little pimples, which is always how things go when you actually have an event you want to look nice for :nono::lol: I am going to wear concealer on a couple pimples and bare minerals foundation, mascara, lipgloss and maybe eyeshadow :look: This is doing alot for me, so I don't think I should wear too much more than that IMO I don't even know how to apply blush or bronzer, so I don't think today is the day to try it :lachen::lachen: I always think it is most important for your skin to look pretty, your lips to be shiny, and your eyes to have a little pop! I'll take pics of my final look and post them :yep:

She should have full make up but natural looking ,the first dqtes is when you have to Impress not look like good ole girl next door ,concelear is Must ,mas ara ,golden eyeshadow and eyeliner ,a bit of foundation and lip balm with a hint of gloss where the light reflexes on the lips .Eta :brOnzer on cheeckbOnes

My only reason for saying not doing a full face simple bc if one doesn't do it normally they feel way too self-conscious about it and that will def put a damper on ones confidence when going out..dating from what I gather is already a bit nervous time so one doesn't want to add to that..its like don't break out 6inch heels where you have never worn 2 inch heels...progression is the best thing.But if your use to full face then off course rock it bc your use to it..

Cute thread...I love the excitement involved (it's a girlie thing, hair, nails, makeup, perfume, the works!)....just reading this thread makes me feel like getting ready to go somewhere. lol. Its been a few years since I been on a date so I guess I should bookmark this page for when the big day comes back around, lol. SMH @ still being single.

btw, I do agree with not going overboard. Dont create something or someone that you're not. Remember that he's interested in you for you, that's why you're even going on the date. I like to have nice hair, nails and a nice fragrance. Outfit must me super chic yet comfortable and somewhat versatile for wherever the date may take us.

Last edited:
I would say

*nails done
*nice smelling perfume my recommendations (j'adore, juicy couture the original one, chanel no. 5) are some of my faves because they are not heavy just light fragance
*hair has to wash or on point either go to a salon or do it yourself or get a half wig (if you trying to save money and put lots of bobby pins)
*dress is so easy to wear because your so put together and you just pop leggings or stockings cause i know right now its cold but if you in a warm area show legs is great
* i know you said you have scars on your leg well there is this product that hides scars and is waterproof it covers tattoos but it can cover anything (google there is a ton for our color)
* pzijeans.com they have the best skinny jeans makes your B-UT look good
*light makeup if anything you can go to the mall and have some of the women at the makeup counters do it for you there and you can buy what you want
*I always wore flats to all my dates cause I am already tall and dont want to over do it
*whiten your teeth like the crest white strips so you can be confident in your smile
*shave shave shave
*nice earings
*eyebrows waxed

thats all and have fun

I like prepping for dates/parties since it's my excuse to be extra femme and girly. I do my eyebrows the day before myself, make sure my toes/nails are painted, and give myself an extra half hour for dress/makeup time.

I always wear foundation and blush if I go "out" so it's a standard routine.

If it's an after work thing, I roll with a powder to minimize shine and bring a small bottle of perfume to spritz.

I also try to remember the guy's name (:look:) and basic stats to help the convo along. I also try to get myself laughing or amused if I'm having a not so good day since I want my first two minute impression to be nice, easy, breezy. Nobody likes a stank face to greet them!

Back