How do you MTG?

How do you MTG?

• Straight MTG (no products mixed with the MTG)

Votes: 142 45.4%
  • MTG Mixed (one or more products mixed with MTG)

Votes: 122 39.0%
  • I apply MTG 1x/wk

Votes: 37 11.8%
  • I apply MTG more than 1x/wk

Votes: 169 54.0%

• Total voters
i recieved great growth from mtg. i mixed about 20 drops of rosemary and 20 drops of peppermint EO to an 8oz nozzle bottle and applied everynight. i took the advice of one of the ladies on the board and mixed a little mtg into sulphur 8 and greased my scalp about once a week and i found that method to also work great and it stopped the mtg from running so i didn't have that dry neck problem

I brought MTG about almost 3 weeks ago, but haven't used it yet, It's almost time for me to get a new relaxer and I don't know if it would interfere with that, any thoughts??

Just bought MTG a week ago and I mix mine with hair oil ( to combat dryness) and vanilla oil ( for smell ) apply everynight b4 bed. So far the smell hasn't killed me just reminds me of the stuff my mom used in my hair decades ago.

Thanks again ladies for all your advice and support I am going to try some of the suggestion to find a formula right for me.So far I mix it with hair oils and vanilla then I apply at night prior to bed and cover. I have been using a wk and can't really tell if I see results since I am wearing my hair naturally curly right now so in a week I will blow dry and let all know the results.
http://public.fotki.com/villacole/:rolleyes:

I just jumped on the MTG wagon. Currently, I am in box braids (easy for me since I do them myself) and use it about 4x a week and it is mixed (and doesn't smell that bad) with magic 8 oil.

OH , i also got Peppermint extract... but saw that it was like 90% alcohol and didn't know if i should use that.. is that bad for hair?

I just bought the MTG Dec 14th, i have been applying it with a color brush at night (making small parts applying like I would relaxer), wrap, sleep in a satin scarf. I will post my results after a month (I think if this product, my regime is working that is a good amount of time to see results)

Attachments

• StartingLHCFBC.JPG
    StartingLHCFBC.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 11
I dont mix it but I put other oils on top of it basically I pore the products into its own cap of the bottle it came in. I part my hair and dip my finger one at a time into each cap which has MTG,olive oil and CD Elixr oil in them. For every part I do this same routine onto my scalp. When I am finish I massage my whole head to mix all of them togather and then pore the rest of the products in the bottle remember "a little goes a long way" I think its better when you massage it in w/ya fingers b/c then you dont waste alot of the product and you dont get any mess like runnings,drips etc..etc and the product will also last longer meaning you wont have to purchase it every month. I purchase my MTG (32oz) In October and the product is still at the top and I do this 7 days a week, I use to do it every other day but I just change my regimen to everyday and I wash my hair once/wk and I have seen great results and also by using the other products on top I dont smell the MTG at all and I mean it at all:yep: but I also apply CD Hair balm,healthy hair butter and tui oil onto my hair so thats the main reason why I dont smell it but over all this regimen works well for me some of you ladies should try it and tell me if you get better results

I shake up the MTG and pour 2 oz. into a dye bottle. After the sulfur has settled to the bottom, I pour 90% of the clear liquid off and throw it away. Then I add Vatika Oil, Kid's Organic Moisturizing Detangler, Rosemary EO, and a little bit of MN until I've got 2 oz. in the bottle again. I use this mixture once per week.

I got my MTG in the mail today. I'm very excited to see if it's going to work as well as it has for some others on the site.
So far, I've been a tad disappointed; first off, there was a small fly in the bottle when I got it. :perplexed I was litterally looking at it like, "you've got to be kidding me". I decided to use it anyway, since it was a small fly and I figured it's not like it can make my hair fall out
I tried two ways of applying the mtg, first, I put a spray cap on the bottle and tired to do it that way, but the bottle got too slippery, it was hard to control so then i just took the cap off and dipped my finger in and applied it that way.
One word for MTG, GREASY! :nono: (and i have acne so I really can't do grease), so I think I'm going to start co-washing every other day and see if that helps with the greasiness issue.
The other thing I noticed was the mild tinglying that started after I applied the MTG and gave myself a good scalp massage. I hope that's a good sign.
I plan on applying the MTG every other day, so next time I'll try it with Dr. M's healing oil to see if that helps with the smell and runnines issue.

ps. Some people say it smells like old bacon grease, I think it smells like leather cleaner, but it is posisble to cover up the smell.

i just ordered my mtg it should be here in a few days. i see alot of people are mixing there mtg, does it really matter? and does peppermint feel like a burning sensation or tingling sensation?:ohwell:

Is MTG better on wet or dry hair? Or does it really make a difference?

My personal opinion is that it works better for me on wet hair. And it gives me shinier hair after my hair drys. I don't think it really matters. It is a personal preference.

i just ordered my mtg it should be here in a few days. i see alot of people are mixing there mtg, does it really matter? and does peppermint feel like a burning sensation or tingling sensation?:ohwell:

Mixing MTG is a personal preference. We only mix it to mask the smell really. I just found that Amla Oil covers the smell perfectly. I mix 1/2 tsp oil and 1/4 tsp of MTG and apply to my scalp after every wash. Usually peppermint oil gives a tingling sensation. If it burns you might be allergic to it or need to dilute the essential oil more.

What is MTG???

Here is a little history on MTG:
We trace our beginning back to 1938, with a barber in the midwest named Henry E. Shapley. Responding to his customer’s needs, he formulated a product for scalp conditions including dandruff and psoriasis. An avid horse lover, he discovered that his product not only provided “miraculous” results relieving skin problems, but also promoted hair growth on the coat, mane and tail of his horses. Soon, the product was being sold to the equine market as Original M-T-G.

Now…..fast forward 66 years. In 2004, we began receiving phone calls and emails, primarily from women of African descent, who were using Original M-T-G to promote their own hair growth with successful results.

Last edited:
I'm looking at shapely's website and it looks like there is one for horses and a relatively new one for people. Which one are you using?

I wash about once a week and apply MTG straight to my scalp when I get out of the shower while my hair is dripping wet. I may also apply it to my hair and my scalp once or twice throughtout the week.

So it is not the MNT from Sally's? Is it the one for $20? I would really love to know which one gets the best results. Thanks

I use MTG mix with 10 drops of Rosemary oil and 10 drops of Peppermint oil. Thats all i have in my nozzle bottle. I apply it every other day sometimes every 2 days.

I used on my daughter, nightly with plastic cap and silk covering. I did not mix it with anything. Used at night so the smell was not as strong in the AM. My daughter does not mind the smell at all.

Back